Batman Cluedo on its way in November

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

ragstorichesfan
Snoop

Batman Cluedo on its way in November

Post by ragstorichesfan »

Just got notice of this new release. It has no art yet but can be pre ordered from ozzie collectables https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3 ... oITQo0KQ-M

coinilius
Detective

Re: Batman Cluedo on its way in November

Post by coinilius »

We were talking about Batman Cluedo on the board previously lol will be interesting to see what the art looks like - if the board is nice it could also be a good base for custom Batman Clue games

ragstorichesfan
Snoop

Im assuming it got green lit because of Batmans 80th anniversary. I am anxious to see the art myself. Comic,movie,or television... I don't really have a "Clue" to go on.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

ragstorichesfan wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:08 pm Im assuming it got green lit because of Batmans 80th anniversary. I am anxious to see the art myself. Comic,movie,or television... I don't really have a "Clue" to go on.
An Animated Series look would be nice, but I assume it will just be more of a comic appearance - if it is for the 80th anniversary, maybe it will have more classic artwork instead of modern...

Whatever it ends up being, I’m looking forward to seeing some pictures!

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

If it's the old TV series I want it!

ragstorichesfan
Snoop

I really want it to be the Animated series.I wouldnt say no to Burton one either. I am still surprised this is not a stateside release.

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming »

Some themes seem like odd choices to me. The basic concept is a group of murder suspects trying to solve the mystery and discover who the murderer is.

While I love my Scooby Doo version, I feel like the story behind the mystery in that version is a lot weaker than a full on murder mystery. It might have worked better thematically if the Scooby Doo characters were trying to find the culprit among the Clue suspects.

The Bob's Burgers version on the other hand works well because the characters are playing a murder mystery game in the game.

So I guess we'll see how the Batman theming fits the game play, but my guess is that it'll be similar to the Scooby Doo and Disney Parks versions forcing the theming to make sense with the game play.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Honestly, I think for some of them they need to separate the playing characters from the suspects - I know a lot of people might think of that as sacrilegious, but it has already been done in some variations on the formula, like the recent 'Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?' game based on the recent Netflix cartoon. It removes the ability to move characters around the board, which alters some strategy, but it would suit certain themes more.

Like in this Batman version - the players could be Batman, Batgirl, Robin, Nightwing, Huntress, Red Hood or some such combo of characters, then the suspects could be the villains. Scooby Doo could also have used such a mechanic, with the characters being the Scooby Gang (and Scrappy) and the suspects being a bunch of other people, the weapons could then be the monsters, etc.

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming »

coinilius wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:16 pm Honestly, I think for some of them they need to separate the playing characters from the suspects - I know a lot of people might think of that as sacrilegious, but it has already been done in some variations on the formula, like the recent 'Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?' game based on the recent Netflix cartoon. It removes the ability to move characters around the board, which alters some strategy, but it would suit certain themes more.

Like in this Batman version - the players could be Batman, Batgirl, Robin, Nightwing, Huntress, Red Hood or some such combo of characters, then the suspects could be the villains. Scooby Doo could also have used such a mechanic, with the characters being the Scooby Gang (and Scrappy) and the suspects being a bunch of other people, the weapons could then be the monsters, etc.

I absolutely agree. Have movement on the board be straight forward without dragging suspects from room to room. Thematically dragging around who you think the killer is works in the core game, but not with a themed game where the players are the heroes of the story.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Exactly - we had a lot of discussion on Batman Clue recently and I know how I would do it lol It will be interesting to see how Hasbro approaches it. The super hero themes would suit simpler game mechanics as well when you consider they would potentially have more appeal to younger players as well.

I've mentioned in other threads, but a re-theme that I think would really suit the normal Clue mechanics (probably Master Detective, actually) would be 'John Carpenter's The Thing' - the sense of paranoia and accusing everyone would really fit the game mechanics.

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming »

coinilius wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:25 pm Exactly - we had a lot of discussion on Batman Clue recently and I know how I would do it lol It will be interesting to see how Hasbro approaches it. The super hero themes would suit simpler game mechanics as well when you consider they would potentially have more appeal to younger players as well.

I've mentioned in other threads, but a re-theme that I think would really suit the normal Clue mechanics (probably Master Detective, actually) would be 'John Carpenter's The Thing' - the sense of paranoia and accusing everyone would really fit the game mechanics.

That is definitely on my bucket list of movies to watch. Actually I think what needs to exist is a Ten Little Indians (And Then There Were None) version of Master Detective. Maybe take a bit of inspiration from Discover the Secrets where the suspects can get killed off (the murderer faking their own death should they be 'killed') towards the end of the game. Some sort of mechanic where the characters are bumped off one by one, creating a time limit to solve the mystery before every suspect dies like in the novel. The character who dies could be selected at random, and if it's a character that a player is using, that player has to reveal one of their cards face up for everyone to see, and then select a new unused character to resume play (unless there are none left to choose from, resulting in player elimination).

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

There actually is a 'And Then There Were None' board game!

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/113 ... le-indians

It's not what you were looking for in terms of game play, but it has a very nice looking board!

Unfortunately it's supposed to be pretty rare.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Images are up for Batman Cluedo:

https://www.mattblatt.com.au/mb/buy/the ... os-169346/

I guess it's about what you would expect from a Barman version of Cluedo, which isn't anywhere near as nice as I would have liked it to be - I was hoping for a better board design, and I don't like that it's 'stolen bat-gadgets' as the weapons... ridiculous villain themed weapons would have been better, like an Umbrella, a Joker Fish, a Killer Plant etc...

It's not Cluedo, but Gotham City Mystery still looks like the cooler deduction based Batman board game...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/670 ... ty-mystery

ragstorichesfan
Snoop

I have to agree, I was hoping for an animated series style myself. There could be other editions in the works. Look at Harry Potter or Downton Abbey.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Hopefully there is a different design if a 'Clue' version is made as well. A better board and different weapons would really help make this a worthy purchase, rather than an easy pass.

ragstorichesfan
Snoop

I will still purchase,byt its going into the part of my collection that is seldomed played.