Clue Liar Edition Review(s)

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Black
Bindle Stiff

Re: Clue Liar Edition Review(s)

Post by Black »

CluedoKid wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:42 pm The "candlestick" reminds me of the holder my friend used in her Miss Scarlet fanart. A bit of unintentional foreshadowing?
Honestly, you're friends Miss Scarlet picture is better than the candlestick from the game

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc »

weopons look fun at least. calling it the "lier's edition" does remind me of one of the many gimics monoply tried.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Clue has had a number of gimmicks lately as well *cough* Hasbro *cough* - the card revealing mirror edition, the Ghost of Mrs White edition...

MajorHoy
Slueth

Post by MajorHoy »

Black wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:54 am
CluedoKid wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:42 pmThe "candlestick" reminds me of the holder my friend used in her Miss Scarlet fanart. A bit of unintentional foreshadowing?
Honestly, you're friends Miss Scarlet picture is better than the candlestick from the game
Still think it's bizarre how they decided to use a stick of dynamite as the "candle".

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

Black wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:32 pm This is a very small nitpick, a personal preference of mine which I don't like. If you look close enough on the board, you can find all 6 weapons hidden around the mansion (2 are in 1 room) - I don't like this especially when it says in the rules that you need to place the weapons on the board, 1 per room. Was this meant to influence our choices in some way or just an easter egg for the fans? Clue has never done this before in any of the other games as far as I know and it felt weird
So it turns out that I am a hypocrite. I'm working on my own fan game and on the location cards, you can see some of the suspected weapons HOWEVER, on the board, the area where the locations are in each location is removed.

FCB
Suspect

Post by FCB »

FCB wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:00 pm First time posting (after lurking for many a year). Playing the Cluedo Liars’ Edition this evening with friends, but in advance had to do something with those tacky white “weapons in disguise”. Have also swapped in the playing pieces from the regular Orchid edition. Review to follow! Also - hello, everyone!

6E7340EB-93D6-40F1-BC57-D14C063B010E.jpeg
So, I've played the game a few times now. The "Investigation Cards" (i.e. the truths/lies) were fun for the most part, but they became redundant as the game went on and folks were close to making an accusation.

We added a couple of house rules after a game or two: players could choose to take (and play) an Investigation Card at the end of their turn or not. Added a bit more immediacy to that part (and required a good poker face). We also added the rule of going to the Interrogation Room (middle of the board) to make an accusation. Worked well: an accusation has to be made at the start of a new turn in this version anyway; the doorway from the hall to the centre of the board then had a purpose; those I was playing with enjoy the old mechanic of dragging other players around just as they are about to accuse.

Even without these additions, it's a good enough version with nice artwork on the cards and board. Only having one die made it harder to get around the "condensed" board than one might think (rolled "1" quite a few times). Anyway, just my thoughts! :D

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I've already decided that I'm going to make a "Franken-Clue" by taking this Board and using the Cards from Guess Who Clue. Since there are only 8 rooms in guess who Clue, the ninth will serve as the "Start" space for the suspects. ;)

FCB
Suspect

Post by FCB »

cacums wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:57 am I've already decided that I'm going to make a "Franken-Clue" by taking this Board and using the Cards from Guess Who Clue. Since there are only 8 rooms in guess who Clue, the ninth will serve as the "Start" space for the suspects. ;)
Good idea. :D We're going to use this board and its character/weapon/room cards to try out "The Ghost of Mrs White" with Alexa, summoning Mrs White when a 6 is rolled. The Cluedo with The Ghost of Mrs White is now available on Amazon by the way (sorry if already posted), but I really can't justify buying two new Cluedos in one week (well, I could but...):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hasbro-Gaming- ... ite&sr=8-1

(Annoyingly, the Alexa skill still goes by Clue, not Cluedo).

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

I love Franken-Clue’s - let us know how the Guess Who Clue cards work with it! I used the cards from the Guess Who edition to play a version of the Clue Mystery Match game.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

MajorHoy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:19 am
Black wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:54 am
CluedoKid wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:42 pmThe "candlestick" reminds me of the holder my friend used in her Miss Scarlet fanart. A bit of unintentional foreshadowing?
Still think it's bizarre how they decided to use a stick of dynamite as the "candle".

Well it does reduce the number of bludgeoning weapons. One has to wonder why they are even changing up the weapons for this edition?

I do like the overall simplification. I’ve always wondered why the suspects couldn’t be placed in rooms as well as the weapons. The dice roll is a remnant of another time, and I’ve always questioned the strategy of moving around the board based on luck of the roll and the limited opportunity to block other players. Tactics almost never employed through my entire lifetime of playing clue.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

The weapons have been changed up because they are pretty much all 'joke' weapons now, to go along with the more 'fun' theme of the Liars Edition - I mean, the other weapons include a lead pipe inside a sandwich and a soft-drink can with a giant skull and crossbones on it. Like the Monopoly Cheater's Edition (and a lot of the other Monopoly gimmick editions), this is more of a humorous take on the concept.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

I just realized why the Lead Pipe is in a sandwich,
because it’s a
CLUB SANDWICH

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

I think the Candlestick/dynamite is fun - exploding weapons are obviously not used very often in Clue so it’s nice to see them in a more humorous game (you couldn’t really blow someone up in a more ‘serious’ themed game)

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

I know it's dynamite but I didn't think of it as an exploding weapon because who would wanna use a weapon to blow up a mansion especially considering that the main motive for murder in this game is to inherit from Dr. Black/Mr. Boddy

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

I just noticed two things about the board.
1. I looks very similar to Clue DVD (even with the center Interrogation Room)

2. You know how in the 2016 edition the mansion had stuff on the ground or something was moved:
Hall - Broken marble statue
Lounge - A small green envelope
Dining Room - Broken wine bottle
Kitchen - Shoe
Ballroom - Footprints
Conservatory - Suitcase
Billiard Room - Money
Library - A bouquet of flowers
Study - Open safe

Yeah, if you close enough you can find them in Lair’s Edition

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock »

I bought one from an Amazon Warehouse deal. Saved a few dollars because the box is “damaged” in some way (if it’s anything like my copy of the “magic mirror” edition, the damage is going to be a negligible dent in a corner). Saved a few bucks, so I’m looking forward to its arrival on Monday. I think this one could make for a good party edition of the game, when everyone* is just having some fun after dinner & we just want some laughs.

Plus I kind of love the new board & character art. Really nice to see the new era suspects evolve a bit instead of another printing of the same art with one new gimmick thrown in (magic mirror, ghost of Mrs. White & Alexa skill, bathroom in lieu of hall, … )

*everyone = my roommate, though I did get lucky that my Social Bubble, so to speak, includes 3 regular gaming buddies. :D
"But look what happened to the cook!"

PrinceAlarming
Private Eye

Post by PrinceAlarming »

My copy arrives on Monday. I'm curious to see if my family enjoys it.

UPDATE: It's Tuesday... still waiting for it to arrive :cry:

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock »

Got my copy last week (more box damage than my “magic mirror” edition, hence it being an Amazon Warehouse deal. But I saved about $6 in the end, and the components are in excellent shape).

This is definitely a game that I’d imagine shines best in a group of 4-6. The 2-player rules are included (in fact, I’m a little disappointed that the rules are as Classic Clue as they are, more on that below), but the gimmick of this edition has yet to feel as fun/tense as it may otherwise be with more players. It’s VERY easy to count the Investigation Cards, especially with only one other player.

It strikes me that Hasbro keeps making some really really pitch-perfect design choices in their new era of Clue/do ... but the best ones keep going into these one-off games instead of into the core game. In the Mashup of Clue + Guess Who? we got additional suspects & weapons, with card layouts more in line with the design language of the rules book. In the Liar’s Edition, it’s the Notebook that gets special treatment: now it’s printed in grey tones, and features a typewriter style font for the list of suspects, etc. This same font is used on the Evidence Cards, and on the room labels around the board. Why the extra effort for these gimmick games, designers? And why not roll them into the core game & let that stand as the benchmark of the brand?

I still can’t understand using the Sorry! pawn mold for this game’s set of pawns. On one hand, it does harken back to the shape of the older wooden pawns. On the other hand, the plastic Clue pawn Parker Brothers decided to go with is such a unique shape — for people like us it’s borderline iconic. Perhaps this is what Hasbro was able to produce in the US to lessen the burden on China (and reduce the amount of imported pieces during a global pandemic). They’re not awful, just jarring for a heavy Clue player. I swapped them for a spare set of the Cluedo figurines, and they’re small enough to still basically match the new artwork.

Speaking of: I actually love this new character & room art. Hasbro, feel free to recycle these when you fix the core edition. The rooms are spiritually identical to their counterparts in the core edition, but lit darker to lend a little more mystery to the ... the mystery ...
The new looks for the suspects are all excellent, IMO. I, personally, think Mrs. Peacock got the best redesign of the whole lot.

Gameplay: it’s Clue/do, but faster. Basically. Which is ... fine? Monopoly: Cheater’s Edition goes MUCH deeper towards creating a fresh playing experience than these Investigation Cards alone can do. The movement mechanics, the fact every turn involves a suggestion, and the potential for a single player (or more) to see up to 2 additional cards on any given turn means this game is over in 10 minutes with 2 players. A group of 6, who know how to play already, might get 15-20 minutes out of it. Then they might okay it again, or gravitate towards the beer pong table.

Ultimately I’d shelve this as a party game. If I want a quick game of Clue, I’ll pull out the pre-Orchid edition, with its ludicrously reduced spaces between rooms. I found it a bit dull & unattractive as a real game, but I think I’ll enjoy it more if I drag it along to my next gaming session (since real parties won’t be a thing for a while, the party game test will have to wait).

We’ve all seen there game by now, but HERE are the photos I put on IG.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

PrinceAlarming
Private Eye

Post by PrinceAlarming »

My copy was rescheduled to arrive today. Hopefully it arrives before I have to head off to work.

Even though I've yet to receive my copy, I can already deduce why the player pawns are in the mold of the Sorry pieces. While some more seasoned gamers might not be as rough with their games, a casual player hitting a buzzer in the middle of the board might hit it harder than necessary from an adrenaline rush, sending smaller game pieces flying all around. In a six player game, you might not remember if you were in the Billiard Room or the Library if your smaller / more ornate playing piece goes flying off the table (especially if you're not a seasoned Clue player). The sorry pieces have wider bases, keeping them grounded a lot more where they sit from their heft and center of gravity. If the weapons go flying, it's not as big of a deal because their placement on the board is only relevant as a visual for suggestions. We might all be adults in this forum, but the game is for ages 8 and up. Imagine an 8 year old playing a game where you hit a buzzer.

Update: Online tracking showed it arrived. I raced to the front porch to grab it... but there's nothing. Did they deliver it to wrong house? It's happened once before, but only once. With a sunken heart, I half heartedly gazed out at the front lawn, and out of the corner of my eye I spot something... a box! A box... laying in the wet grass :evil:
Thankfully the game isn't wet at all, but it is a little bit crushed on the side. Only slightly though. My Silver Line edition arrived more beat up than my Liars edition, which kills me to this day. It's supposed to be sleek and fancy, but has the most damage of all my Clue games prior to delivery.

OMG, I want one of these buzzers at work! I hear so much BS from guests and customers, I'd love to have this buzzer on hand every time I have to deal with someone who would put Pinocchio to shame.

PrinceAlarming
Private Eye

Post by PrinceAlarming »

Going over the rules and components of the game, overall I really like it. The only issue I have is the same as with many other recent editions, which is that the quality of the cards are subpar. The movement around the board is VERY similar to a Clue game I was working on myself from scratch, so I'm already on board with that (no pun intended, although I wish it had been because I love puns).

Revealing cards from your hand to the interrogation room, passing cards around the table, and of course accusing each other of lying, it makes the game more lively like a party game and takes away certain strategies that I use in the base game when taking notes; which levels the playing field for less seasoned Clue players (as in everyone else I play against). Actually, taking notes seems rather difficult now once cards are passed to the left unless you just resort to standard note taking of checking it off once you see it.

I thought the liar aspect would be more varied and in depth, but I'm sure play testing it and keeping it easy enough for 8 year olds to play resulted in how it turned out. Not that I'm complaining, I think the liar aspect looks just fine. I just expected more from it, but sometimes less is more, so I'm perfectly content with it thus far.

The real test will be bringing it to the table and seeing how it plays out.