How did the suspects meet Boddy/Black!

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Post Reply
Online
Jonathan Green
Master Detective
Posts: 1763
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Houston, TX

How did the suspects meet Boddy/Black!

Post by Jonathan Green »

Mr. Boddy has meet some very colorful people through his life. How did he meet such people?

In my head-canon, Mr. John Boddy is an American physician that lives in England. He was raised by his uncle, Dr. Hugh Black (Sir Black), after his parents died mysteriously.

Mrs. Peacock: Mrs. P is Boddy’s god-mother. She was a close friend of Boddy’s mother, Brooklyn Black, Hugh’s sister. Rumor has it the that her and Hugh had a short affair before she met her first husband, James Scarlett.

Miss Scarlett: She is Boddy’s god-sister and Peacock’s only child. Possibly the love child of Dr. black and her mother.

Colonel Mustard: An old friend of Hugh Black. Both met at a hunting event.

Mr. Green: Boddy’s best friend, both met as students in boarding school. Attended the same college.

Mrs. White: Mr. Boddy’s wife. She was born and raised in Paris, France. They both met in London through a mutual they had, Green.

Professor Plum: Plum had some of his expeditions and experiments funded by Dr. Hugh Black. He met Boddy through Boddy’s daughter, Dr. Orchid.

Dr. Orchid & Miss Peach: Both are Boddy’s adopted daughters. Orchid’s parents were both chemists, who tragically died in a fire. As for Peach’s parents, her father was a wealthy American, and her mother was an Parisian actress. Both died in a car accident in Cornwell, England.

“Madame Rose”: “Madame Rose” is the pen-name of Boddy’s young sister, Dorothy Rose Boddy.

Monsieur Brunette & Prince Azure: Both are dealers that both sold Black and Boddy art and antiques.

Lady Lavender & Lord Gray: Both are Boddy’s neighbors.

Mrs. Meadow-Brook: She is the widow of Mr. Boddy’s solicitor.

Sergeant Grey: A retired officer from Scotland Yard. Boddy and him aren’t really friends, but go to the same club in London.

Rusty: One of the gardeners of Tudor Close.

ClueLover98
Slueth
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:02 pm
Location: In the Conservatory with the Candlestick

Re: How did the suspects meet Boddy/Black!

Post by ClueLover98 »

To me, White has to be the maid. The Marmalade app is the only exception I'm willing to make because even though the main White character is Boddy's sister, there's a maid variant of her. Plus, all the suspects have unique roles throughout all 11 editions, so I don't really mind.

Online
Jonathan Green
Master Detective
Posts: 1763
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: How did the suspects meet Boddy/Black!

Post by Jonathan Green »

ClueLover98 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:37 pm To me, White has to be the maid. The Marmalade app is the only exception I'm willing to make because even though the main White character is Boddy's sister, there's a maid variant of her. Plus, all the suspects have unique roles throughout all 11 editions, so I don't really mind.
We for a maid White I think of two things:
1. The old nanny of John & Dorothy Boddy

2. Once a member of a wealthy family until they became bankrupt, a young and widowed Mrs. White works for Dr. Black as a maid. Also in a secret relationship with Black’s nephew, Boddy.

Black
Bindle Stiff
Posts: 6416
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: In the Billiard Rm with the Wrench

Re: How did the suspects meet Boddy/Black!

Post by Black »

ClueLover98 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:37 pm To me, White has to be the maid. The Marmalade app is the only exception I'm willing to make because even though the main White character is Boddy's sister, there's a maid variant of her. Plus, all the suspects have unique roles throughout all 11 editions, so I don't really mind.
But the App is contradicting the Orchid edition game. The game says that White was the housekeeper/cook at Tudor Mansion but the app says she is Boddy's Sister

ClueLover98
Slueth
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:02 pm
Location: In the Conservatory with the Candlestick

Re: How did the suspects meet Boddy/Black!

Post by ClueLover98 »

Black wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:48 pm
ClueLover98 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:37 pm To me, White has to be the maid. The Marmalade app is the only exception I'm willing to make because even though the main White character is Boddy's sister, there's a maid variant of her. Plus, all the suspects have unique roles throughout all 11 editions, so I don't really mind.
But the App is contradicting the Orchid edition game. The game says that White was the housekeeper/cook at Tudor Mansion but the app says she is Boddy's Sister
I don't really mind that the app contradicts the Orchid edition since you can just play with White as a maid anyway. I like the Marmalade interpretation of White; it's the only glamorized version of her that I'm fond of (asides from the other Marmalade special editions).

Online
Jonathan Green
Master Detective
Posts: 1763
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: How did the suspects meet Boddy/Black!

Post by Jonathan Green »

Black wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:48 pm
ClueLover98 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:37 pm To me, White has to be the maid. The Marmalade app is the only exception I'm willing to make because even though the main White character is Boddy's sister, there's a maid variant of her. Plus, all the suspects have unique roles throughout all 11 editions, so I don't really mind.
But the App is contradicting the Orchid edition game. The game says that White was the housekeeper/cook at Tudor Mansion but the app says she is Boddy's Sister
Yes, but that White is based of her rejected 2016 design:
Image

Black
Bindle Stiff
Posts: 6416
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: In the Billiard Rm with the Wrench

Re: How did the suspects meet Boddy/Black!

Post by Black »

tbh, apart from Scarlet, I'm not a lover of the new designs

CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17515
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Re: How did the suspects meet Boddy/Black!

Post by CluedoKid »

Nor I. They're better than Discover the Secrets, and the House of Clue, but still underwhelming.

The last edition where I liked the suspects as an ensemble was Cluedo 2000.
Image

Black
Bindle Stiff
Posts: 6416
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: In the Billiard Rm with the Wrench

Re: How did the suspects meet Boddy/Black!

Post by Black »

I agree with you, Cluedokid, but I've always had a soft spot for the 2003 designs - Except the Mysteries designs and Green's chin

coinilius
Detective
Posts: 894
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: How did the suspects meet Boddy/Black!

Post by coinilius »

The 2003 character design that I really don't like is Professor Plum - something about his design is just really off-putting to me. I also quite like Peacock's 2003 design, but it's not really how I like Mrs Peacock to look (I prefer an older Mrs Peacock).

User avatar
cacums
Ringer
Posts: 11305
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 11:58 am
Location: If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore

Re: How did the suspects meet Boddy/Black!

Post by cacums »

coinilius wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:33 am The 2003 character design that I really don't like is Professor Plum - something about his design is just really off-putting to me. I also quite like Peacock's 2003 design, but it's not really how I like Peacock to look (I prefer an older Peacock).
I have a love/hate relationship with ginger Plum. I usually prefer the balding 1986-1992 type of Plum, but something about him being younger, while most of the rest of the 2003 men are older (Gray, Green, Mustard, Rusty). I think young Plum works only with the group as a whole in mind. I see a Plum-Peacock-Scarlet-Peach love quadrangle from the 2003 cast.

I've always adored this Peacock, especially her token with the shawl. It had to be inspired off of Leslie Ann Warren's Scarlet, much like Madeline Kahn's White inspired Orchid.
Image

coinilius
Detective
Posts: 894
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: How did the suspects meet Boddy/Black!

Post by coinilius »

cacums wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:33 am
coinilius wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:33 am The 2003 character design that I really don't like is Professor Plum - something about his design is just really off-putting to me. I also quite like Peacock's 2003 design, but it's not really how I like Peacock to look (I prefer an older Peacock).
I have a love/hate relationship with ginger Plum. I usually prefer the balding 1986-1992 type of Plum, but something about him being younger, while most of the rest of the 2003 men are older (Gray, Green, Mustard, Rusty). I think young Plum works only with the group as a whole in mind. I see a Plum-Peacock-Scarlet-Peach love quadrangle from the 2003 cast.

I've always adored this Peacock, especially her token with the shawl. It had to be inspired off of Leslie Ann Warren's Scarlet, much like Madeline Kahn's White inspired Orchid.
She's just too young and cool looking for how I see Peacock, I'm kind of stuck in the mindset of the original Peacock design (but I do like the design). I like Plum as a younger man, it's just the Egon Spengler hairdo that throws me off the most, I think, from the 2003 design. I like Green's design as it can be used for both the Rev and Mr interpretations of the character (and indeed, they were trying to reconcile the versions with his backstory as well).

User avatar
cacums
Ringer
Posts: 11305
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 11:58 am
Location: If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore

Re: How did the suspects meet Boddy/Black!

Post by cacums »

I agree with the older Peacock angle. A grand dame or fading rose best suite her. I'd personally love to see Jessica Lange as Mrs. Peacock.
Image

coinilius
Detective
Posts: 894
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: How did the suspects meet Boddy/Black!

Post by coinilius »

cacums wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:09 am I agree with the older Peacock angle. A grand dame or fading rose best suite her. I'd personally love to see Jessica Lange as Mrs. Peacock.
Jessica Lange would be a perfect Mrs Peacock! She would also make a great Marmalade Games Mrs White...

User avatar
cacums
Ringer
Posts: 11305
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 11:58 am
Location: If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore

Re: How did the suspects meet Boddy/Black!

Post by cacums »

The idea of Olenna Tyrell from Game of Thrones as Mrs. Peacock is also a fun idea to me. :)
Image

Black
Bindle Stiff
Posts: 6416
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: In the Billiard Rm with the Wrench

Re: How did the suspects meet Boddy/Black!

Post by Black »

Diana Riggs, would have been interesting to see a Bond Girl as a Clue character (then again, Jonna Lumley was Mrs. Peacock)

Post Reply