Master Detective VS Super Cluedo

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

For those of you who own both, which do you prefer?

Clue Master Detective
71%
Super Cluedo
29%

Total votes: 14

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Super Cluedo has the same computerized look as the 2000/2002 edition. It doesn't really bother me, there are some interesting details. I like the beach twist, if just to suit the European mood. I definitely like the billiard room with the bigger table more in Super Cluedo.

I love the Master Detective portraits, and yes, the quizzical Mrs. Peacock. She doesn't look terrible to me, anyway. I like the Super Cluedo cast too. Making them prettier than ever is a nice twist.

The main thing that kills Super Cluedo really for me, is the UK version with its flawed translation. What they labeled a Lounge, should really be called the Hall. I think the French version called it a petite Salon and German called it just Salon; both which amount to what's basically a reception space.
SUPPORT - Follow my progress of my expanded Clue edition -
www.patreon.com/gothicgreenhouse

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Re: Master Detective VS Super Cluedo

Post by Jonathan Green »

As for artwork, I’ll choose MD. Except Peacock, she’s better in SC.
But I love the Beach Villa in the French Riveria as the scene of the crime. We already have a English Country Mansion as a scene of the crime, the original Clue. So a villa is a nice change.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Jonathan Green wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:58 pm As for artwork, I’ll choose MD. Except Peacock, she’s better in SC.
But I love the Beach Villa in the French Riveria as the scene of the crime. We already have a English Country Mansion as a scene of the crime, the original Clue. So a villa is a nice change.
I like the Villa idea as well, and what you've done with your timeline in your project thread works quite well for me as a way of placing it in the story line.

More thoughts on the Master Detective/Super Cluedo board - what is the actual main entrance of the house? Is it through the Lounge/Trophy Room? Is it through the entrances on to the Courtyard? I like a lot of elements of both versions of the board, but the overall layout has always puzzled me.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

coinilius wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:32 am
Jonathan Green wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:58 pm As for artwork, I’ll choose MD. Except Peacock, she’s better in SC.
I like the Villa idea as well, and what you've done with your timeline in your project thread works quite well for me as a way of placing it in the story line.

More thoughts on the Master Detective/Super Cluedo board - what is the actual main entrance of the house? Is it through the Lounge/Trophy Room? Is it through the entrances on to the Courtyard? I like a lot of elements of both versions of the board, but the overall layout has always puzzled me.
In guessing you go through the Courtyard (Garden in SC) to enter the house. Makes the most sense, given the car is there. Speaking of which, how does the car fit?

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

I know, that car has always annoyed me! I would prefer the courtyard/garden to be more of an obvious entrance/driveway (what with the car being their) rather than the croquet court it seems to be.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

It would be a tight squeeze past the hedges... but the driveway the edge of the board seems to imply those little sides are how it got up there.

That being said, the Master Detective board might be the worst at keeping a consistent scale. Just take that pool table in the Billiard Room, the sofa in the Drawing Room, a horse from the Carriage House, and the bookcases in the Library vs Studio.

Elrond
Slueth

Post by Elrond »

Wait, how did I never notice the two cars parked on the shrubs?!?! That’s so bad.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Elrond wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:38 am Wait, how did I never notice the two cars parked on the shrubs?!?! That’s so bad.
Cacums added those to help illustrate how the car could fit on the (possible) driveway :lol:

Thanks for that illustration, BTW, Cacums - it still doesn't really sell me on the design, but it's interesting how it almost works... I wouldn't want to be driving around those tight corners though! And the car would scrape against those hedges bad :? It's also weird that there are four doors in that one area but no main entrance. I still think getting rid of the Courtyard/Garden and just making it the Driveway would go a long way towards making it make a lot more sense (or at least redesigning it so that the driveway is more obvious).

At least the Master Detective board doesn't have the space-bending staircase from the Super Cluedo board - it would be like living in an Escher drawing!

I actually do like both the Master Detective and Super Cluedo board, but they have a lot of oddities and poor visual design choices that just leave me scratching my head.

Elrond
Slueth

Post by Elrond »

Oh! I see. Yes, there are several difficulties with the board...

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

coinilius wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:51 am At least the Master Detective board doesn't have the space-bending staircase from the Super Cluedo board - it would be like living in an Escher drawing!
Seriously, why couldn’t the artist draw another balcony where the door (that the stairs leave)?
Also, I think I might make a rough sketch of how the house’s grounds look like.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

That would be cool! What ideas do you have for the grounds?

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

coinilius wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:50 pm That would be cool! What ideas do you have for the grounds?
A swimming pool of one. It's a villa in the French Riveria, so it will be hot. A Rose Garden and a Tennis Court
Maybe some extra rooms as well, like a gallery and a hall (that doesn't look like the one from SC).

the floor plan would look similar like this:
(Funny enough, it's called "Tudor Manor House" by Henry VIII)

If the house was in England, it would have look like this:
Bodnant Hall from Bodnant Gardens, Wales

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Those ideas sound good - I like the French Riviera setting so expanding on that and the types of features it could bring is a great idea.

Clue Suspects (http://www.theartofmurder.com/clue_games.html) has a Rose Garden, a Dressing Room and a Wine Cellar as rooms/locations, if that is any inspiration.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

I wrote a short story for my version of Clue:Master Detective.
The Story
Friday, 22nd August ,2025 - Nice, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France

Mr. John Boddy, the usual happy-go-lucky billionaire, was not in a happy mood. His mind was in a scramble of thoughts. Last week (8th of August), his solicitor, Miles Meadow-Brook, tragically died on his daughter's birthday on mysterious circumstances. He needed to get away for awhile, so he decided to go on holiday in the Mediterranen with his family.

Boddy, while staying in the French Riviera, remembered something his late uncle, Dr. Hugh Black, told him about many years ago. Dr. Black told him about a summer home that he and Boddy’s mother stayed when they were children, Villa de Noir, located on the outskirts of the city of Nice. Mr. Boddy had a brilliant idea: He would make use of the villa, and host an Antique and Art show to raise money for Miles’ memorial service.

John Boddy invited some of his closest friends and some associates to help him with the party. He also when placing adverts to the event. When the night of the party came, many of France’s wealthiest members of society came to the villa, one of them was a mysterious count named Count Olaf Lenoir. Lenoir had shown much interest in the villa, and he talked to Mr. Boddy about buying the villa. Mr. Boddy was ecstatic, and let the Count stay the night to talk business during the weekend.

The morning after the party, the inhabitants of the villa were greeted to the corpse of the Count, found on the basement stairs. The question is: Who killed Count Lenoir?

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Nice background to your version of the game :)

Elrond
Slueth

Post by Elrond »

I love it!

Is it the 10 players from MD or are you adding the Millennial players? What’s your back story for Mme Rose and M Brunette? I imagine they are some of the wealthy French guests.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

Elrond wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:18 am I love it!

Is it the 10 players from MD or are you adding the Millennial players? What’s your back story for Mme Rose and M Brunette? I imagine they are some of the wealthy French guests.
Adding the millennial characters sounds interesting, maybe I will add them, but not Rusty.
As for Brunette and Rose, they’re not French.
Brunette is a English man posing as a Parisian art dealer.
As for Madame Rose, she’s Boddy’s younger sister, who’s real name is Dorothy Rose Boddy. Madame Rose is a pen name, since I wrote her as a author.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

Jonathan Green wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:20 pm
Elrond wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:18 am I love it!

Adding the millennial characters sounds interesting, maybe I will add them, but not Rusty.
As for Brunette and Rose, they’re not French.
Brunette is a English man posing as a Parisian art dealer.
As for Madame Rose, she’s Boddy’s younger sister, who’s real name is Dorothy Rose Boddy. Madame Rose is a pen name, since I wrote her as a author.
Also I’m adding Orchid, cause why not. She’s established as a canon character now.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Could be a fun way to use some international characters, if you were interested in going down that path.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

I leading more towards Super Cluedo on terms of character art, and rooms for Master Detective

But if I had to choose one, it had to be Super Cluedo. I just love the overall style of the game, and Mr. De'Ath has a pretty good design for Monsieur Brunette (the best IMO)