Clue(do) rules: Making an Accusation

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

MajorHoy
Slueth

Clue(do) rules: Making an Accusation

Post by MajorHoy »

I recently bought the Clue "Retro Series" version, hoping I can get somebody to play me when my sister is visiting for Christmas. Since it has been a while since I played Clue, and since back in the day we had our own house version of some of the rules, I thought I should review the rules in this version to refresh my memory.

The thing is, when it come to the part of making an Accusation, the rules seem to indicate that you don't have to be in a room to make an Accusation. (The rules talk about moving your token into a room after you've made an incorrect accusation if you are blocking a door.)
For some reason, I could have sworn their had been something in older versions of the rules about having to be in a room (any room) when you are making an accusation.

Does anybody else seem to think the rules at one point required people to be in a room to make an Accusation, though not necessarily the room you're including in your Accusation?

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Re: Clue(do) rules: Making an Accusation

Post by Jonathan Green »

I don’t think so, I own the most recently version of Clue (2016) and it doesn’t say any of that.

PrinceAlarming
Private Eye

Post by PrinceAlarming »

I can look through my older versions, but I seem to remember being able to make an accusation at any point on your turn

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

I always remembered it as being able to make an accusation at any time in your turn as well

PrinceAlarming
Private Eye

Post by PrinceAlarming »

In the Marmalade app you have to move before it gives you the option to accuse, so when I know the answer I just run down the corridor as far as the dice will let me to skip making a suggestion but also to be a bit dramatic by moving the full amount

MajorHoy
Slueth

Post by MajorHoy »

Jonathan Green wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:31 pm I don’t think so, I own the most recent version of Clue (2016) and it doesn’t say any of that.
The version of ClueⓇ I use to have was from the 1970s, so I'm thinking it would have possibly been in one of the (much) older versions.
Then again, it may have been a house rule we had or just something that wasn't spelled out that clearly in an older version of the rules.

PrinceAlarming
Private Eye

Post by PrinceAlarming »

Well I can’t upload the photo I just took on my phone of the 1979 rules because even if I crop it down to a single sentence it says the image is too large. I hardly have this issue uploading pics on here from my computer; so frustrating.

Anyways, it says you can just make an accusation on your turn.

However, I don’t think you imagined it. I do seem to recall that rule making a brief appearance in one edition. Not that I saw it myself in the rules but I do seem to remember this topic coming up before. It makes sense that tweaks like this were made at some point, seeing as how in some versions all players start in the middle room.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

PrinceAlarming wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:49 am Well I can’t upload the photo I just took on my phone of the 1979 rules because even if I crop it down to a single sentence it says the image is too large. I hardly have this issue uploading pics on here from my computer; so frustrating.

Anyways, it says you can just make an accusation on your turn.

However, I don’t think you imagined it. I do seem to recall that rule making a brief appearance in one edition. Not that I saw it myself in the rules but I do seem to remember this topic coming up before. It makes sense that tweaks like this were made at some point, seeing as how in some versions all players start in the middle room.
I’ll see if I could do it.

MrGreenJeans
Private Eye

Post by MrGreenJeans »

I too, recall a version that said you had to be in a room (any room) to make an accusation. I started my Clue life with 1986, so it may have been that edition - or '92.

EDIT: I was able to track down versions of the '86 and '92 game instructions online -and neither mention needing to be in a room. This is baffling. I wonder if this is an example of the Mandela Effect! https://www.snopes.com/news/2016/07/24/ ... la-effect/

MajorHoy
Slueth

Post by MajorHoy »

PrinceAlarming wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:49 am Well I can’t upload the photo I just took on my phone of the 1979 rules because even if I crop it down to a single sentence it says the image is too large...
By the way, my version would have been from the early 1970s, so even a 1979 version might have had a change (if there was any change from what I was use to).

PrinceAlarming
Private Eye

Post by PrinceAlarming »

thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (1).jpg (160.67 KiB) Viewed 2889 times

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

I just read the last line of that rule, I've always made it a house rule that when making an accusation, you have to be in a room/location before you make your guess. (It doesn't have to be the murder room)