The Airship Murder

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Okay.... hair is a LOT harder to make on the computer than I thought... but I think the work paid off. My game takes place in 1936. I chose a popular hairstyle of the time for Miss Scarlet, since she seems like she would be up to date on those sorts of things.

Speaking of which, though... I am shocked at what I saw when I looked the stuff up. It seems that from 1910 to about 1940, only short hair cuts were preferred among women. The 1920s saw the shortest hair... which is why its surprising to me that the 2003 Miss Scarlet has such long hair. She'd definitely out of fashion... by a long shot. 2003 Mrs. Peacock, however, is spot on.

Now all I need is the clothing! Yay! :D
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I love it. I did have an idea I used when I made a clue game. I made each suspect have a different scale to them. For example Miss Scarlet had a red scale, Mrs. Peacock had a blue scale. I wanted to know if all your cards would have a gray scale to them.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Yes, they will all the grey. However, Miss Scarlet's background is red... as you can see. Mrs. Peacock's will be blue, etc.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

TheWhitePawn wrote: The 1920s saw the shortest hair... which is why its surprising to me that the 2003 Miss Scarlet has such long hair. She'd definitely out of fashion... by a long shot. 2003 Mrs. Peacock, however, is spot on.

Now all I need is the clothing! Yay! :D

Yes, I thank you that somebody other than me noticed that Miss Scarlet is very out of fashion for the times in the 2003 game.

In the 1900's the women perfered to have rather medium sized hairdos that have been styled in such a way that it was not hanging down.

But for the 1920's, yes, the high fashion of the times was short cut bobs for those jazzy flappers. Although some women did have long hair, but it's wasn't exactly the range.

Your hairdo's for the 1930's Miss Scarlet is spot on! Good job WhitePawn

My game is set in early 1950, so I chose some late 1940's hairdo's for my characters. Lady Peach is the best example of what was perfered then.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Thank you. I'm glad you like it! :D

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Yay! Miss Scarlet is done! I guess I'll do another room next... and then maybe do some of the board. I might start Colonel Mustard later tonight, but I'll see how much time I have.

But for now... here is Lillian Scarlet...

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Very nice! Though she seems to lack much of a neck...

but I do love her face and her pose! Good work!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

omg, she looks like Mrs. Peacock in the Alfred Hitchcock game :o

btw, Mrs. Peacock was my favorite character in the game :wink:

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

I do have a quibble though again. From the way you design her arm, it doesn't look like it is part of the rest of her. In fact it looks solid, kind of like the Candlestick.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Well... to each his own :P I gave her that same geometric arm to signify roundness, just like it was signified with the weapons. After all, I don't want to change styles halfway through the cards.

And I'm looking at the Hitchcock Peacock right now, but I don't really see it. In fact... I don't like Peacock in the Hitchcock edition. She barely has a forehead. But the others were redesigned masterfully.

By the way... my weapon cards are all printed out, laminated, and ready to go.

Here they all are next to each other...

Here is my cat, Bes, with the candlestick in the bedroom.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev »

Cute. So cute.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Beautiful! Just beautiful!

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Thank you! I actually wasn't expecting them to come out so well.

By the way... I changed the name of the "Kitchen Hammer" to the "Tenderizer." It just seemed more appropriate.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Perfect!

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

So I know a lot, if not all, of you guys will disagree with me when I say this... but I am seriously considering not decorating the board with furniture. I really wanted to at first... but then I realized how elegant my Great Museum Caper game looks, with just the colored floors. And then I looked at a picture of the 1972 board and the Geoffrey Parker luxury edition board, and I have to say that I have very much taken a liking to them.

I guess tastes change a lot. I actually remember looking at the 1972 board years ago and thinking it was so dull. But there was also a time when I didn't like the 50th anniversary edition board with the gold foil... which i love now. It's not my final decision by any means... but like I said... I am seriously considering it.

It will definitely make the board look a lot cleaner, if nothing else. And it may help with the smaller rooms all next to each other... since they might look too busy otherwise. But it was just a passing thought that I figured I would share. For the moment, I am still going with furniture unless I change my mind.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

There is nothing wrong with the game having a touch of simplicity, but it doesn't need to be boring.

I like the 1972 board in terms of color( though it is far from my favorite), but most of the time, I find that a mansion just isn't a mansion unless it's luxuriously furnished. Otherwise it feels dull and uninspired.

For some reason Museum Caper works without furniture because it is purely a strategy game and it has the items gracing the board, but in terms of actual Clue, furniture really helps bring the game to life and make it less like...well a game. That's what monopoly is for.

IMHO, I suggest you use furniture for rooms, because for different locations, and especially on a zeppelin, it harder to imagine what it just might look like inside and leave the players wanting more than a dull floor plan.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

It's just that I am facing a huge challenge with the size of the board. If I want the entire gondola displayed on the board, it will only be able to be 21 spaces long and 8 spaces wide. I'm actually considering just having the mid-section of the gondola displayed. That brings the total number of spaces up... and the cut-off sections can lead to mechanical passages, which can be used like a secret passage.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

That's a good idea.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Well... I tried it out, and I have decided that the mid-section zoom in is the best approach. And I will go with furniture after all, now that the characters won't actually have to walk through the rooms themselves. I'll post a basic schematic when I am finished putting in the spaces and room separations.

I am also going to start on the notepad... which will be designed like a ticket to the airship.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Clever!