The Airship Murder

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Yes, when I saw that card, my mind instantly went to Mrs. Peacock as opposed to Miss Scarlet. Then I read the post and the card title.

I have to agree with Kristev. She makes a great Mrs. Peacock, but not what I envision of Miss Scarlet, although she does have the elegant Agatha Christie-esque appeal, she lacks any youthful glamor.

But good job overall with the actual art itself!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I thought (though she may not be a suspect here) she was Mrs. Meadow-Brook... a very young Mrs. Meadow-Brook.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Well... at least you guys like the art. Like I said... this is a prototype... that's why it's not properly shaded or detailed yet. I just wanted to pick out the perfect clothes and pose. The face is a bit generic to be anyone just yet. At the same time, though... I do like how simple it looks.

Nevertheless, I think I might re-do the entire card in a slightly different pose, which I think may look a little better.
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Well simplicity isn't a bad thing, and you don't have to make Miss Scarlet ostentatious but she shouldn't have to be bland and generic at the same time. I don't know if your opinion differs, but Miss Scarlet shouldn't be a character who could look like anybody. Otherwise she wouldn't be Miss Scarlet. In my opinion, I think you made Scarlet more like Peacock because she has the older, husky, sophisticated almost mannish qualities of a mature aristocratic lady. Scarlet should look, perhaps, a little more loose, almost alluring and dangerous.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 »

True, Cluedokid. I love the Agatha Christie look TheWhitePawn. If I had to choose an Agatha Christie character that I thought was most like Miss Scarlet, I'd say either Lynette Doyle (the victim in Death on the Nile) or Countess Andrenyi (the exotic young wife of Count Andrenyi in Murder on the Orient Express).

This card, as you say is a prototype, but still not what I'd expect to see. She's a little too covered up. Scarlet is all about plunging necklines and beautiful jewels. I'll admit it may be a little cold up there, but give her a fur, not a simple coat and scarf. Also, hair.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev »

Don't change much of anything, except the name. For Peacock, that card is flawless.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

I agree with Kristev.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Well... I decided on a completely different approach. I want the cards to be more zoomed in. So I am in the process of making a brand new Scarlet card. Here is what I have for now...

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

She seems to have an Oriental flare.. This new face for Scarlet seems quite promising.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Definately not oriental, Cluedokid :P

I hate the asian scarlets with the exception of 1992.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Well, I'm sorry, but your Scarlet just seemed to have an Oriental look. TOo bad you won't be taking that direction.

I love the 1992 Scarlet as well, but I also adored the VCR Scarlet. That was the best interpretation of Scarlet's character in Clue I think.

I hated the 1986 Scarlet, and was underwhelmed with the 1972 Scarlet, so I agree that those oriental Scarlets were bad.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I hated the 1950 Miss Scarlet she had a dot for a nose and pig feet. Plus she is a blonde Oriental woman. I also dislike the mrs. white from that edition, she has two eyes on one side of her nose.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

I hated the 1949 Scarlet and the 1963 Scarlet as well. I agree cacums, the 1963 Scarlet was hardly alluring at all! I also think the 2003 Scarlet is downright disgusting and ugly.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

There are so very few Miss Scarlet's that are beautiful, but yet people say they always like her.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

My personal favorite is the 1996. Although that's my favorite character set as well... as can be seen by my signature bar. And despite that, I think I may make this Scarlet, who's first name is Lillian, by the way, a blonde. Here is more of her face. Time to start on the hair and clothing! :D

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Yeh, I guess I could see her blond,,,idk.

Though I never been very fond of the blonde Scarlets.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 »

I don't mind blonde Scarlets. But the 1992 Scarlet is not attractive! I just cannot see why people find her so appealing. On the box she is attractive, I suppose, but on the card she looks so old and bland. Same with the Master Detective Miss Scarlet. I agree with TheWhitePawn, 1996 Scarlet is the loveliest. And I don't mind the 2003 Miss Scarlet. I don't find her so ugly and unattractive. I know you detest the boxy look, Cluedokid, but I really don't mind it.

And I love the way the new card is turning out TheWhitePawn.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Thanks!

And I by no means thought that the 1992 Scarlet is attractive. Far from it. But I do think that she looks extremely sophisticated and mysterious. I think that that's what gives her that charm.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

TheWhitePawn wrote:My personal favorite is the 1996. Although that's my favorite character set as well
That is my favorite edition too, except i don't like the way they rip up the carpet in the lounge and the study.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Oh, me either. I always thought "so how do you hide the door after you go in?" when I saw it.