The Airship Murder

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Beautiful.

My only nickpick is that you've used the younger Mustard rather than the older one on the card.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

I'm changing him back, Cluedokid.

And yes, cacums, that's Mr. Boddy. He was also pictured on the first box concept.

As for the card backs, I decided to make yet another change. With so much beige on the card fronts already, I want the backs to match the box more.

Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

TheWhitePawn wrote:It has a lot more than just food. And it's really not that far away.
Yes, It's really more of a Butler's pantry or Service Pantry. Think of it more like a the small galley at the other end of an airplane. One has the first class food and liquor, the other just drinks and snacks for the coach class.

An Airship has similar special needs, and this keeps the crew, c o cktail lounge and promenade traffic out of the kitchen during meal prep and service.

"Pantry" is a much more elegant term than "storage closet", and is an appropriate term for such a staging area. I'm not married to it by any means. But I haven't been able to come up with a better term. Airships would have had "ships stores" but that's not much better. The Hindenburg had a Service Pantry staging area off the dining room with a dumb waiter to the kitchen bellow. It also had a separate bar adjacent to the smoking room on the opposite side of the ship. The crew could access both the kitchen and bar without entering the passenger areas, something impossible on The Graf Zeppelin or this design.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 »

What if you made the brown-ish circle thing on the back of the cards look like a globe? Might be too busy, but just something I thought of.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

While that may look pretty cool, the circle design is replicated on the box, the board and the front of all the cards. The circle on the back is more so that the game flows well together than a design all on its own.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 »

Ah, I like it. Just when I saw it it reminded me of those old posters and seemed very World's Fair-ish and for some reason thought of a globe lol.

Green
Detective

Post by Green »

I love everything you've done here. Just wanted to mention that I definitely prefer the newer card back. The blue looks really nice, especially on the airship.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Thanks. Yeah, I think the blue is more mood setting.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

TheWhitePawn wrote:I think the blue is more mood setting.
I thought it was grey? But mood, yes! The shading helps quite a bit as it appears the Airship is going through a cloud bank or fog at night. Perfect for Clue. No blue skies and sunshine for me (sorry CluedoKid).

Anyway meant to leave this link to a great airship reference site. Lists tons on movies and books, fiction and non-fiction. Got my John Toland book today. Thanks again!

http://spot.colorado.edu/~dziadeck/airs ... uction.htm

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

I kind of like the green as it reminds me more of an old photograph. I'm curious, though, as to how the blue would look with black letters.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Green and Grey? All of our monitor settings must be different! Haha.

The first card is definitely beige with no hint of green. The second card is blue, though the saturation is a bit decreased to make it appear cloudy/dark. But it's blue. Same blue as in my new signature banner.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael »

All beige, huh... to me it looks like it's got a tint of green. I thought it was sort of reminiscent of the modern games' color scheme.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

TheWhitePawn wrote:Green and Grey? All of our monitor settings must be different! ... But it's blue. Same blue as in my new signature banner.
They both look gray on my display.

Maybe you should give us the Hex or RGB value so we can look it up on our computers ... LOL

In my case, I am using a Mac which tends to use a warmer White Point than PCs. When I use the cooler PC calibration, I see your banner is more blue than black. Plus like most men, I'm a little color blind when it comes to dark blues and blacks. But after all that, I think I prefer it gray. ;-) You should see it on my monitor. So dark and foreboding. The good news is, you don't actually have to do anything as long as I don't change my color calibration! LOL

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

edit (duplicate post)

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Compare Mrs. White's face in my signature banner to the background. She doesn't have any color saturation, whereas the background is saturated with blue.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

TheWhitePawn wrote:Compare Mrs. White's face in my signature banner to the background. She doesn't have any color saturation, whereas the background is saturated with blue.
Well, when you put it that way ... LOL this could go on all day. She actually looks sort of taupe with my calibration. Mr. Boddy on the other hand looks like a true gray and comparatively, the background would have to be bluish - now that I have a reference and look closely. This is why the printed world and virtual world often don't play nice.

But green? I think Michael must be on something. ;-)

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Murder by Death wrote:But green? I think Michael must be on something. ;-)
Wouldn't surprise me :P