The Airship Murder

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum »

Excellent new cards!
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death »

Actually, it just hit me. If you take the Super Challenge, '72, approach to the board, keep in mind that both of those editions had a direct color/pattern relationship between the cards and the board. Only the Dunhill / Geoffrey Parker edition used the original Black & White Cluedo cards. In fact, I thought they should have been updated too, to match the board, so I created a set below.

But you're not doing retro Cluedo. If the rooms are colored, shouldn't the cards also be colored in some way to match?

At a minimum, if you decide not to relate the cards to the room colors, the items pictured on the cards would need to be depicted in the rooms, and I think you'd need to avoid a room color similar to the general rooms card color.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Well, the rooms can still be different colors on the board without being different colors on the cards.

And I created a third card back design. I think I'm going to settle for the third one.

Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I love the third one!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

The brown is nice for a game depicting this era. Everything you do is always so tasteful and complimentary, I'm sure you'll ultimately find the right balance.

You are already way ahead of one of the worst style clashes Clue ever had – '70s mod on the back, '30s retro on the front (it was an interesting time):

ImageImage
(Just noticed these cards didn't have the '30's font - odd looks like the '72 edition underwent some changes)

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Yeah, I was never a fan of the colors used in 72 either. The style was pretty good, but the colors were AWFUL.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

I updated some of the room cards and added 2 more.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

not entirely sure what the cabin is supposed to be ...

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

LoL... me either.

I was looking at pictures of zeppelin interiors from the 30s. I copied the equipment, but I am not sure what it is either.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

So I started working on the board :D

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

It's very lovely indeed.

I think it would have been nice to include more navigational rooms of the airship to help further the atmosphere that it is actually on an airship. An Engine Room or some sort of Bridge if you may? Of course, this could be enabled by having 9 rooms.

It seems that only the Kitchen is a crew-oriented area, yet the Kitchen isn't exclusive to just airships.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Well, looking at blueprints of various airships, that's what a typical bottom floor looked like. The engine room, crew quarters and bedrooms were on the upper deck, away from the propeller noise.

And the most crew-oriented room is definitely the cabin. It was a combination of the navigation and radio rooms which I originally separated to create more rooms. The cabin is the section which would protrude at the front of the airships and where the captain steered the vessel.

But I think 6 feels nice enough. Especially since no room is closer than 6 spaces to another one. Which means that there will still be as much walking as in a regular Clue game, just without as many rooms.

I'll think about it though. I might add more.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid »

Ah. I mistakened the cabin for a passenger cabin. Well that clears it up nicer, I admit.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

CluedoKid wrote:Ah. I mistakened the cabin for a passenger cabin.
Yup, so did I.

I'm sure you know there were like only 5 actual passenger airships during this period.

With the exception of the Graf Zeppelin, there were two German Zeppelins with multiple decks and 2 short-lived British airships with multiple decks.

The Graf Zeppelin's steering area was simply called the Control Room or Bridge. In the other Zeppelins it was called the Control Car, which housed the Control Room/Bridge and Navigation Room. In the British R100 & 101 it was called the Control Cabin/Car/Room with similar subdivisions. I've never seen it merely called a "cabin".

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to call it the Control Cabin or something similar, to make its function clearer. Now I understand that strange item on the Cabin card.

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum »

Looking well neat!
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

Murder by Death wrote:I'm sure you know there were like only 5 actual passenger airships during this period.
Actually, there were quite a few more. Those are just the ones that made trans-Atlantic flights.

And you didn't mention the 5 being used in the U.S. either.

Airship travel was much more prominent back then, and there were many dirigibles. The Empire State Building's mast was originally built as a landing post for zeppelins (If you saw the first scene of "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" you know what I mean. They were only able to dock successfully once though :( Here is a pic

But yes, there were a great deal more. Germany was the primary maker until the *beep* took over and started shutting the program down. If you're as interested in airships as I am, you should check out any of the books on them by John Toland. He does a pretty good job of explaining their importance and prominence in the U.S. and Europe.

EDIT: Ugh, I guess the filter doesn't approve. "Until the N a z i s took over"

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Honestly, I really liked the original layout. I found nothing wrong with that one. This one seems too bare. The other one had a warmer feel. All the bedrooms, the fact that you have to go through the dining room to get across the board, etc.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

I really like it too. I was thinking of just reusing it. But one of the reasons I got annoyed with the original was all the rooms. It got SO annoying trying to figure out which room the murder was committed in with so much walking.

I still might add a few more rooms, but def. no more than 2 or 3 more.

At the same time, I still really like the new board. While more bare, I think it would make for a better playing experience.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I guess that makes sense.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn »

I added two rooms, but I'm still not sure if I'll keep them.

I am also not sure what the last room would be. Although I would like to make it a lounge, it seems kind of repetitive with a smoking room already on board. Nevertheless, considering that zeppelins often had more than one lounge, that's probably what it will end up being.