Clue 2011 miniseries - Hubworld.com Archives

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Clue 2011 miniseries - Hubworld.com Archives

Post by Jonathan Green »

I’ve been digging through the Wayback Machine to find anything Clue/Cluedo related, then I remembered Hubworld.comband that little miniseries Clue had back in 2011. So I when back to the site using the WM and found the Clue page is still there.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111204054 ... ini-series

Also Agnes’s blog is there.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111219065 ... index.html

PrinceAlarming
Private Eye

Re: Clue 2011 miniseries - Hubworld.com Archives

Post by PrinceAlarming »

Has anyone watched the mini series? I just finished watching it for the first time.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

PrinceAlarming wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:29 pm Has anyone watched the mini series? I just finished watching it for the first time.
I seen it when it first premiered. It’s on YouTube now.

Thoughts?

PrinceAlarming
Private Eye

Post by PrinceAlarming »

Where did it premiere? On TV or online? I only heard about it from searching online for Clue like a year or two ago.

Funny enough, it was pretty much what I expected in terms of quality. It's rare for my preconceived notion of a show or movie to be spot on, but that was pretty much the case with this.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. Very middle of the road. I mean, when I say it wasn't good, perhaps that's too harsh. It's decent. I enjoyed watching it, but I wasn't impressed or blown away by it at any point.

On thing I did like was that it at least alluded to murder and brutality, even if it didn't show it. Considering it has a Disney Channel or Nickelodeon vibe, having a knife or a gun as weapon is something you never see in that type of media. So I'm glad the Revolver especially wasn't censored out.

The acting was decent. The girl who played White was my favorite. I don't remember their names and I'm too lazy to lookup each one, so I'm just going to go by their Clue colors. But White was definitely my favorite in this, I thought her acting was the best of the 6. None of them bothered me, there was no weak link in the main cast.

The plot was creative. The editing was too disjointed and choppy, but I was able to follow along nonetheless. I would have preferred suspicion among the 6, like a traitor element or something, even if that just turned out to be a red herring. But for what it was, I wasn't disheartened that they were working together as team. It kind of had a Scooby Doo vibe mixed with Spy Kids. It wasn't dumbed down too much which I liked. It was very simplified for that sort of plot, but you had to pay attention to follow along which required enough brain power to keep me interested.

I of course have some critiques.
Like White's crush on Plum seemed to develop out of nowhere, but overall it was kinda cute.
Green and Mustard fought over Scarlet, but then teamed up in spite of butting heads, then Mustard kinda had a moment with Peacock, then went back to Scarlet even though she showed more interest in Green (even though he was an *** to Plum right in front of her) until the end when she renewed her interest in Mustard. Very cliche high school drama stuff that came off as very superficial. Not saying that isn't realistic of teens, it's just not a part of the social dynamic in the teen years that anyone enjoys so it's hard to pull off without getting old fast.
Green bullying Plum wasn't necessary; at least not to that extent. I can see Green giving Plum a hard time inadvertently without thinking much of it, not realizing how it was coming across and not meaning for it to be taken personally. But this seemed more deliberate which made Green less likeable. And it's fine to do that with a character, but White was the only one who really took issue with it aside from Plum, and Scarlet had feelings for Green even after seeing that. Why didn't Mustard, Peacock, and Scarlet speak out against it more like White did? I get that it showed White having feelings for Plum, but the rest just stood there and let it happen each time. There needed to be learning moment for Green where pushing Plum backfired and he learned the error of his ways.
Mustard and Green forging ahead to handle the dangerous work, leaving behind Plum and the girls on more than one occasion was too machismo for my liking, but on the flip side one thing that redeemed it a bit was when White boldly charged in after them when they didn't come back; another reason why she was my favorite. Peacock had a similar moment when she rescued Plum and Green from getting into a fist fight which was a bit less impressive than White's moment, but a welcome move nonetheless that I did appreciate giving them both their chance to charge into battle on their own. Actually, the more I think about it, the girls did have a fair number of bold moves. Like in the end when Peacock and Scarlet went with Mustard behind enemy lines while pretending to betray everyone else. Maybe it was just the cliched instance of Mustard and Green doing it that overshadowed the others in my mind. But I have to give credit where credit is due, the girls weren't wimps the more I think back on it.

The ending was of course a bit disappointing. Not because it was a bad ending, but rather because it was more of a new beginning that didn't go anywhere. The whole thing seemed to be trying to set up a full series to follow after it, which of course never came to be. So it was sad to see the potential for it to continue on, knowing that nothing more came afterwards.

Would I recommend it? Only for people who like pre teen shows on Nickelodeon and Disney Channel, or can at least appreciate them for what they are. This is intended for the same type of audience. I liked it, but I didn't love it. The suspects were playing the roles of detectives, which isn't a complete departure from the source material, but changed the whole point of their existence in the story. So, not what I hoping it would be, but in terms of enjoyment that it gave me, I got what I expected to get. I'm not the target audience, but I appreciate it for what it is and what it was trying to do. It could have been better, but it also could have been a lot worse.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Re: Clue 2011 miniseries - Hubworld.com Archive

Post by Jonathan Green »

PrinceAlarming wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:17 am Where did it premiere? On TV or online? I only heard about it from searching online for Clue like a year or two ago.

Funny enough, it was pretty much what I expected in terms of quality. It's rare for my preconceived notion of a show or movie to be spot on, but that was pretty much the case with this.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. Very middle of the road. I mean, when I say it wasn't good, perhaps that's too harsh. It's decent. I enjoyed watching it, but I wasn't impressed or blown away by it at any point.

On thing I did like was that it at least alluded to murder and brutality, even if it didn't show it. Considering it has a Disney Channel or Nickelodeon vibe, having a knife or a gun as weapon is something you never see in that type of media. So I'm glad the Revolver especially wasn't censored out.

The acting was decent. The girl who played White was my favorite. I don't remember their names and I'm too lazy to lookup each one, so I'm just going to go by their Clue colors. But White was definitely my favorite in this, I thought her acting was the best of the 6. None of them bothered me, there was no weak link in the main cast.

The plot was creative. The editing was too disjointed and choppy, but I was able to follow along nonetheless. I would have preferred suspicion among the 6, like a traitor element or something, even if that just turned out to be a red herring. But for what it was, I wasn't disheartened that they were working together as team. It kind of had a Scooby Doo vibe mixed with Spy Kids. It wasn't dumbed down too much which I liked. It was very simplified for that sort of plot, but you had to pay attention to follow along which required enough brain power to keep me interested.

I of course have some critiques.
Like White's crush on Plum seemed to develop out of nowhere, but overall it was kinda cute.
Green and Mustard fought over Scarlet, but then teamed up in spite of butting heads, then Mustard kinda had a moment with Peacock, then went back to Scarlet even though she showed more interest in Green (even though he was an *** to Plum right in front of her) until the end when she renewed her interest in Mustard. Very cliche high school drama stuff that came off as very superficial. Not saying that isn't realistic of teens, it's just not a part of the social dynamic in the teen years that anyone enjoys so it's hard to pull off without getting old fast.
Green bullying Plum wasn't necessary; at least not to that extent. I can see Green giving Plum a hard time inadvertently without thinking much of it, not realizing how it was coming across and not meaning for it to be taken personally. But this seemed more deliberate which made Green less likeable. And it's fine to do that with a character, but White was the only one who really took issue with it aside from Plum, and Scarlet had feelings for Green even after seeing that. Why didn't Mustard, Peacock, and Scarlet speak out against it more like White did? I get that it showed White having feelings for Plum, but the rest just stood there and let it happen each time. There needed to be learning moment for Green where pushing Plum backfired and he learned the error of his ways.
Mustard and Green forging ahead to handle the dangerous work, leaving behind Plum and the girls on more than one occasion was too machismo for my liking, but on the flip side one thing that redeemed it a bit was when White boldly charged in after them when they didn't come back; another reason why she was my favorite. Peacock had a similar moment when she rescued Plum and Green from getting into a fist fight which was a bit less impressive than White's moment, but a welcome move nonetheless that I did appreciate giving them both their chance to charge into battle on their own. Actually, the more I think about it, the girls did have a fair number of bold moves. Like in the end when Peacock and Scarlet went with Mustard behind enemy lines while pretending to betray everyone else. Maybe it was just the cliched instance of Mustard and Green doing it that overshadowed the others in my mind. But I have to give credit where credit is due, the girls weren't wimps the more I think back on it.

The ending was of course a bit disappointing. Not because it was a bad ending, but rather because it was more of a new beginning that didn't go anywhere. The whole thing seemed to be trying to set up a full series to follow after it, which of course never came to be. So it was sad to see the potential for it to continue on, knowing that nothing more came afterwards.

Would I recommend it? Only for people who like pre teen shows on Nickelodeon and Disney Channel, or can at least appreciate them for what they are. This is intended for the same type of audience. I liked it, but I didn't love it. The suspects were playing the roles of detectives, which isn't a complete departure from the source material, but changed the whole point of their existence in the story. So, not what I hoping it would be, but in terms of enjoyment that it gave me, I got what I expected to get. I'm not the target audience, but I appreciate it for what it is and what it was trying to do. It could have been better, but it also could have been a lot worse.
To answer the first question, it aired on TV.

As for my thoughts, it’s like a Guilty Pleasure. Concerning I didn’t watch Nick-coms and D-coms that much as a kid (I was more into cartoons), I really enjoyed it as a kid (age 8 ).
Now that I’m older (17), I’m aware of it’s flaws, but it’s enjoyable.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock »

Yes, The Hub was Hasbro’s short-lived attempt at a cable network for kids & families.

I watched parts of this Clue series as it aired, eventually finishing it when the DVD was released (as a continuous movie, rather than broken into the 5 episodes). I remember thinking it was the kind of thing my younger self would have EATEN UP — in fact I remember being bummed, in middle school, that we never had any kind of Clue series on TV in the US (I’d recently seen my first glimpses of the ITV series). For an adult Clue fan, I found the Hub series/movie cute, but not wholly satisfying. That’s because, after a generally okay mystery/adventure story for the YA crowd, there was no true ending.

I appreciated that the series tried to do SOMETHING with the C.L.U.E. Houses concept Hasbro was pushing on the board game, at the time. I think, had The Hub been more successful for Hasbro, we should have seen a second series to further explore the backstory of these “Houses” & how those kids all tie into that plot. I bet Hasbro already had a tie-in board game mocked up, just in case the series made any impact.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

Here’s a interview with the series Producer, Writer, and Show-runner M. Raven Metzner:
https://collider.com/executive-producer ... interview/

PrinceAlarming
Private Eye

Post by PrinceAlarming »

alwaysPeacock wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:10 pm Yes, The Hub was Hasbro’s short-lived attempt at a cable network for kids & families.

I watched parts of this Clue series as it aired, eventually finishing it when the DVD was released (as a continuous movie, rather than broken into the 5 episodes). I remember thinking it was the kind of thing my younger self would have EATEN UP — in fact I remember being bummed, in middle school, that we never had any kind of Clue series on TV in the US (I’d recently seen my first glimpses of the ITV series). For an adult Clue fan, I found the Hub series/movie cute, but not wholly satisfying. That’s because, after a generally okay mystery/adventure story for the YA crowd, there was no true ending.

I appreciated that the series tried to do SOMETHING with the C.L.U.E. Houses concept Hasbro was pushing on the board game, at the time. I think, had The Hub been more successful for Hasbro, we should have seen a second series to further explore the backstory of these “Houses” & how those kids all tie into that plot. I bet Hasbro already had a tie-in board game mocked up, just in case the series made any impact.
That explains why it even exists at all. I was wondering why it was made in the first place since it's more of a cryptic treasure hunt than a murder mystery. It was to use the network as a launching platform to sell more products; hence re-imagining Clue in an attempt to introduce it to a new audience.