Handheld Game ;-)

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

fupersly
Suspect

Re: Handheld Game ;-)

Post by fupersly »

If videos can be uploaded, I'll try to make one later this weekend and post it up here for everyone to see. 8)

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Wow that is incredible - and it actually has a top-down adventure game style set-up? I wasn't expecting that - can't wait to find out more about the gameplay.

fupersly
Suspect

Post by fupersly »

I believe the manual describes how the game works, but from what I recall, the game actually randomizes the killer, weapon, and location of all of the items in the game each time you play it. I'll take some photos of the folded-out version and post those up here after my phone recharges. :P

BBP
Senior Detective

Post by BBP »

So cool! It exists!

fupersly
Suspect

Post by fupersly »

Man... this manual was way more detailed than I remembered it being! I think I can only fit 3 of these in a single post, so apologies for the slight SPAM here:
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_1_small.jpg
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_1_small.jpg (46.85 KiB) Viewed 523 times
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_2_small.jpg
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_2_small.jpg (42.06 KiB) Viewed 523 times
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_3_small.jpg
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_3_small.jpg (40.93 KiB) Viewed 523 times
Busy day on tap, but I'll do my best to get a video up here before the clock turns midnight. 8)

fupersly
Suspect

Post by fupersly »

Next 3:
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_4_small.jpg
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_4_small.jpg (35.66 KiB) Viewed 523 times
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_5_small.jpg
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_5_small.jpg (45.72 KiB) Viewed 523 times
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_6_small.jpg
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_6_small.jpg (45.24 KiB) Viewed 523 times

fupersly
Suspect

Post by fupersly »

A few more:
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_7_small.jpg
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_7_small.jpg (40.42 KiB) Viewed 522 times
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_8_small.jpg
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_8_small.jpg (49.49 KiB) Viewed 522 times
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_9_small.jpg
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_9_small.jpg (45.73 KiB) Viewed 522 times

fupersly
Suspect

Post by fupersly »

Last 2!
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_10_small.jpg
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_10_small.jpg (50.41 KiB) Viewed 521 times
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_11_small.jpg
CLUE_CONFIDENTIAL_MANUAL_11_small.jpg (46.49 KiB) Viewed 521 times
I hope that's a good enough teaser ahead of the video! 8)

fupersly
Suspect

Post by fupersly »

By the way, I checked out that Worthpoint listing for the ebay auction - it was won for $12 (!!) back in November 2017! :shock:

Something tells me neither the seller nor the buyer had any "CLUE" what they actually had there! :lol:
Last edited by fupersly on Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

fupersly wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:59 pm By the way, I checked out that Worthpoint listing for the ebay auction - it was won for $12 (!!) back in November 2017! :shock:

Something tells me neither the seller nor the buyer had any "clue" what they actually had there! :lol:
That's crazy considering how much some people would pay for it now :lol: Thank you for posting all those pictures of the manual, that is very informative.

fupersly
Suspect

Post by fupersly »

I was going to upload the 4 videos I just recorded here, but it seems I don't have that option and I'm not quite ready to throw this stuff on a YouTube channel yet, so my compromise is putting these in a password-protected (and download-disabled) Dropbox folder. :twisted:

I wanted to keep this fun and in the spirit of a mystery, and even though I'm sure the very astute folks around here will figure out the password without any hints, here are a few that should help if you get stuck:

1. The password is case-sensitive.

2. It's a "word" I've used in a previous post.

3. If you don't get it, you'll kick yourself if I have to tell you. :lol:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wl823nhcswbt ... FHgea?dl=0

As I mentioned, you won't be able to directly download the videos from Dropbox, but you can play them in your browser using that link.

Oh, and apologies in advance for the bad one-handed camera work and generally poor lighting conditions I did this in - the screen is not backlit, but it actually isn't that difficult to see clearly in natural light when you can maneuver it around yourself.

Anyway, take a look and let me know what you think! 8)

fupersly
Suspect

Post by fupersly »

Sorry, just had to change the link a moment ago - should be working fine now! (I hope!) :P

BBP
Senior Detective

Post by BBP »

It works! Got the password on my first try :lol:

Great little game, shame it didn't do well back then. If you're ever able to make a full video I'd love to see it!

Elrond
Slueth

Post by Elrond »

Very very cool! Thanks so much for posting these!!!

So I’m curious if this was a production model that never took off, or if it simply was produced in smaller numbers? Any idea from your copy?

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

I got the password first try as well lol

Love seeing those videos, the style of game is very interesting for a Clue video game.

fupersly
Suspect

Post by fupersly »

Elrond wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:05 am Very very cool! Thanks so much for posting these!!!

So I’m curious if this was a production model that never took off, or if it simply was produced in smaller numbers? Any idea from your copy?
It's funny - I often wondered if these went into production in another country or something, but I was never able to find out any other details and the only other one I've ever seen was from that Worthpoint page that tracked the result of that one (and only?) ebay listing. I think it wasn't even until a few years ago that I remembered that I had this thing and by that point, it was pretty clear that it never got any kind of mass-produced release.

I can't really speculate too much as to the "why" on this because, clearly, a good deal of development effort was invested here, but you can tell from looking at the case that it was either a modified version of a different handheld or some kind of advanced prototype that just hadn't had the full treatment done on it yet - it's got polished elements like the embossed "CLUE" logo on the magnetic-locking lid, but there are no logos or other distinguishing markings anywhere on the front and only some boilerplate-looking warning and legal copy stamped on the back, so it's quite a mystery (pun only partially intended!) as to what forces came together to get the thing this far but no further.

I did have to open it up recently because the batteries had died and I wanted to make sure there hadn't been any acid damage as a result, and I scared the crap out of myself because after I had put fresh batteries in, it didn't immediately start back up! :shock: Turns out you have to actually fully reconnect the molded battery case backing in place and there's a metal plate that gets touched to complete the circuit, then it came back on and I could breathe properly again. :P

fupersly
Suspect

Post by fupersly »

BBP wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:06 am It works! Got the password on my first try :lol:

Great little game, shame it didn't do well back then. If you're ever able to make a full video I'd love to see it!
I'll see what I can do. It's hard to get a good view with proper lighting, but I might be able to swing something at some point and eventually get a "playthrough" video (of sorts) up on YouTube or something similar. 8)

Elrond
Slueth

Post by Elrond »

fupersly wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:23 pm
BBP wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:06 am It works! Got the password on my first try :lol:

I'll see what I can do. It's hard to get a good view with proper lighting, but I might be able to swing something at some point and eventually get a "playthrough" video (of sorts) up on YouTube or something similar. 8)
Exciting! Thanks!

Elrond
Slueth

Post by Elrond »

Any luck? I'd love to see a full walk-through.