Most Recent Solution

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Black
Bindle Stiff

Re: Most Recent Solution

Post by Black »

ZachBlack000 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:36 am
chaosemerald wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:01 am I got my Aunt the Downtown Abbey Clue for her Birthday and we played it tonight and the night before last. I won the first game and the last two games and she won the second.

So far at the Abbey there’s been a lack of imagination and a Lord with very light fingers. Lord Grantham committed three out of the four thefts so far.

The first night he hid the Telephone in the Pantry. He got a little break right after when Tom Branson played copycat and hid the Telephone in the Pantry.
Then tonight Lord Grantham hid the Bow tie in the Great Hall and apparently he enjoyed it so much he did it again immediately. Perhaps he thought if he did the same theft again nobody would suspect him? He (Me) even tried throwing suspicion on to his own mother. A very devious and unscrupulous character if you ask me. I shall be keeping my eye on him from now on.

It’s pretty rare to have the exact same solution twice in a row so I had to mark this down.
I wish instead of hiding them, they used it to commit murder.

Like if I for one, were in Downton Abbey, and if those objects were my only choices...

I would either...

choke someone with a bowtie, pocketwatch, or telephone cord...

poison a slice of lavender loaf and then serve it...

crush someone's skull with a typewriter...

or jab a key into someone's neck.
Actually, this sounds like the 2nd edition of Downton, the first edition you were solving a murder

ZachBlack000
Junior Detective

Post by ZachBlack000 »

Black wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:10 am
ZachBlack000 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:36 am
chaosemerald wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:01 am I got my Aunt the Downtown Abbey Clue for her Birthday and we played it tonight and the night before last. I won the first game and the last two games and she won the second.

So far at the Abbey there’s been a lack of imagination and a Lord with very light fingers. Lord Grantham committed three out of the four thefts so far.

The first night he hid the Telephone in the Pantry. He got a little break right after when Tom Branson played copycat and hid the Telephone in the Pantry.
Then tonight Lord Grantham hid the Bow tie in the Great Hall and apparently he enjoyed it so much he did it again immediately. Perhaps he thought if he did the same theft again nobody would suspect him? He (Me) even tried throwing suspicion on to his own mother. A very devious and unscrupulous character if you ask me. I shall be keeping my eye on him from now on.

It’s pretty rare to have the exact same solution twice in a row so I had to mark this down.
I wish instead of hiding them, they used it to commit murder.

Like if I for one, were in Downton Abbey, and if those objects were my only choices...

I would either...

choke someone with a bowtie, pocketwatch, or telephone cord...

poison a slice of lavender loaf and then serve it...

crush someone's skull with a typewriter...

or jab a key into someone's neck.
Actually, this sounds like the 2nd edition of Downton, the first edition you were solving a murder
Right, now their weapons, I prefer, because they have a candlestick, a clock, a curtain cord, a revolver, a rolling pin, and a Winchester.

And they even had a Cluedo-based poster.
Murder From Downton Abbey.jpg
Murder From Downton Abbey.jpg (199.99 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
Favorite Movie-Quote: "They all did it. But if you wanna know who killed Mr. Boddy, I did. In the hall, with the revolver." - Mr. Green, from Clue, played by Michael McKean.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

Poor Doctor Clarkson, he went from Cluedo suspect to Cluedo victim (A reverse Lewis Collins)

chaosemerald
Spy

Post by chaosemerald »

I don’t mind the theft though I would have preferred murder. My issue is more that the items don’t really seem all that worth stealing. That being said from looking at pictures of the first edition, I think the second edition is nicer looking.

Keeping in mind that this is all based on the designs of the games and not how well they’ve adapted the series to Clue/do, as all I’ve seen of Downton Abbey is the movie and a few bits and pieces of the odd episode.

MagnaParva
Suspect

Post by MagnaParva »

https://www.cluedofan.com/onlinegame.htm

Plum - Rope - Kitchen (7 steps).
Mustard - Candlestick - Ballroom (failed).
Green - Spanner - Billiard Room (failed).

cluefan8888
Gumshoe

Post by cluefan8888 »

So I tried out this variant with the nostalgia tin edition: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/141924 ... le-variant

These were the results:

1. Professor Plum is killed in the Kitchen
2. Miss Scarlet is killed in the Lounge
3. Mrs. White is killed in the Ballroom
4. Colonel Mustard is killed in the Ballroom
5. Mr. Green and Mrs. Peacock survive.
The Soultion was Mr. Green with the Lead Pipe in the Billiard Room.

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

My BF got me Marmalade's Cluedo for Nintendo Switch for my birthday, so I can finally see the game I accidentally deleted the topic of back then :oops:

It has proven to be worth the investment, I've played some 40 games over the past week, to the extent he even decided to surprise me with the expansion kit. My cellphone isn't able to play with friends (plus I'm disappointed that even then you still need 3 players, not possible to play with 2 and one or more AIs), but we had great fun playing as a team. Quickly we found that playing the game with more people means there's more analyzing, and that even on Medium mode the AI asks "stupid" questions, so 6 players and all AIs Hard is the preferred mode now.

I couldn't possibly remember all the games I played but some memorable instances are:
-when we played the Sherlock theme as Moriarty and won on our third turn: Sherlock Holmes - Revolver - Dock. I so wanted Sherlock to be the killer because it would be so funny to me - and it was Moriarty who solved it too! :lol: Scored 400 points!
-The Sherlock Holmes skin was good to us when we won on our first turn with Plum - Blowpipe - 221B Baker Street. We scored 600 points!
-Mixing the characters gets strange results - like the scubadiving Peacock from Tropical Mystery in the vampire castle...
-The game notes well (as in, also notes who hasn't got a card automatically) but could have noted better if it saved all the moves that were played. I was usually writing down the moves and eliminating from the pad, while BF was doing the controls and analyzing using the notepad onscreen. We decided to swap. The first game was the above victory in 1 turn, but the next time we weren't so lucky - after a bad analysis we had somehow found out White was the murderer, but the solution was Mustard - Horse shoe - Blacksmith - it was a shock when we found that out during one of our later turns... Tried to repeat the analysis as it's bugging me but haven't managed to find my way back into the game.

MagnaParva
Suspect

Post by MagnaParva »

https://www.cluedofan.com/onlinegame.htm

Green - Rope - Lounge (8 steps).
White - Revolver - Billiard Room (4 steps).
Peacock - Spanner - Ballroom (5 steps).

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

Played Marmalade Cluedo on the Switch with my boyfriend, teaming up with him as Ms Scarlet over the phone.
First game was Mustard - Revolver - Ballroom, second was Peacock - Rope - Dining room. Lost both games.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

Meadow-Brook, Garden Shears, Gazebo

No one won

ZachBlack000
Junior Detective

Post by ZachBlack000 »

Jonathan Green wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:52 pm Meadow-Brook, Garden Shears, Gazebo

No one won
Neither did Mrs. Meadow-Brook or her husband.
Last edited by ZachBlack000 on Wed May 05, 2021 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Favorite Movie-Quote: "They all did it. But if you wanna know who killed Mr. Boddy, I did. In the hall, with the revolver." - Mr. Green, from Clue, played by Michael McKean.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

ZachBlack000 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:56 pm
Jonathan Green wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:52 pm Meadow-Brook, Garden Shears, Gazebo

No one won
Neither did Mrs. Meadowbrook or her husband.
Well, Mrs. Meadow-Brook did, if no one guessed correctly, she gets away with it

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

The main reason why no one won is because some of the pawns wouldn’t respond to the location circle. The stable wasn’t activating properly. Must be due the games age or something

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

Jonathan Green wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:33 pm The main reason why no one won is because some of the pawns wouldn’t respond to the location circle. The stable wasn’t activating properly. Must be due the games age or something
I get that a few times with Boat House, holding the pawn firmly down and more central does work. But at times, I tend to avoid that location

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

Black wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:35 pm
Jonathan Green wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:33 pm The main reason why no one won is because some of the pawns wouldn’t respond to the location circle. The stable wasn’t activating properly. Must be due the games age or something
I get that a few times with Boat House, holding the pawn firmly down and more central does work. But at times, I tend to avoid that location
Huh, that's honestly the reason I stopped playing it too. It was the Swimming Pool and Tudor Mansion's circles for me. :x

ZachBlack000
Junior Detective

Post by ZachBlack000 »

Black wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:20 pm
ZachBlack000 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:56 pm

No one won
Neither did Mrs. Meadowbrook or her husband.
Well, Mrs. Meadow-Brook did, if no one guessed correctly, she gets away with it
Oh right, I forgot about that rule. :lol:

ZachBlack000
Junior Detective

Post by ZachBlack000 »

I actually own the Clue FX game, but I never played it, because the murder-weapons are super boring, in my opinion.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

ZachBlack000 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:29 pm
I actually own the Clue FX game, but I never played it, because the murder-weapons are super boring, in my opinion.
What do you mean boring? They all to fit with the theme of the grounds, I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of the Water Bucket but still, nothing wrong with the weapons

ZachBlack000
Junior Detective

Post by ZachBlack000 »

Black wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:36 am
ZachBlack000 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:29 pm
What do you mean boring? They all to fit with the theme of the grounds, I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of the Water Bucket but still, nothing wrong with the weapons
Most of the weapons are blunt-objects, while just one is a sharp object.

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP »

I have my vacation. Due to the nature of my work I have to request any vacation way in advance so it was a bit of a bummer to find it impossible to do anything. Fortunately BF came over and brought his Switch with Cluedo on it, we play together with him focussing on the notepad onscreen (not easy, it's so tiny) and me keeping track of the turns and keeping my own notes.
Playing as Scarlet with 5 to 6 AIs on Hard mode, these were the solutions:

Plum wims with White - Award - Hall
Mustard wins with Mustard - Sceptre - Tomb
Peacock wins with Green - Candlestick - Hall
Plum wins with Plum - Blowpipe - Pub
Plum wins with Scarlet - Lead pipe - Ballroom
White wins with Peacock - Gold nugget - Bank
Peacock wins with Scarlet - Flare Gun - Games Room
Scarlet wins with Scarlet - Stake - Lab (1st turn)
White wins with Scarlet - Amulet - Graveyard
Plum wins with Scarlet - Rope - Kitchen
Scarlet wins with Peacock - Revolver - Diogenes Club
Mustard wins with White - Khopesh - Sphinx
White wins with Green - Skipole - Bootroom
Peacock wins with Green - Amulet - Kitchen
Scarlet wins with Mustard - Icycle - Lounge
White wins with Brunette - Knife - Taxi rank
Peacock wins with Azure - Lute - Theatre
Mustard wins with Plum - Oar - Hottub
Scarlet wins with Mustard - Lead pipe - Hall
Mustard wins with Scarlet - Stake - Banquet hall
Plum wins with White - Horseshoe - Blacksmith
Green wins with White - Ankh - Waterfall
Green wins with Peacock - Silver Bullet - Bedroom
Plum wins with Green - Cricket bat - Printing press
Mustard wins with White - Lute - Gallery
White wins with Scarlet - Torch - Kitchen
In a round where we made a mistake we managed to win with Peacock - Torch - Banquet hall
So we won 5 games out of 26, which with 6 players is a tad better than chance.

Lessons we learned:
-The luck element in the board game with 3 players includes the dice roll. In the PC game the dice roll is much less likely to throw a curveball, but you notice what bad luck it is if you have to show a relative lot of your cards. Meaning the luck element is also in what the competitors ask. This is a new one to do the math with.
-Contrary to what my math calculated, although the number of possible solutions decreases more when you get to see a person or weapon rather than a room (unless you have 4+ rooms), almost every game ends up becoming a chase for the crime scene
-In rare instances there is a fork situation where two players have to own one of two cards - last time this happened, both "Green" and "White" AIs must have had either Peacock or the Crossbow, meaning neither is in the envelope. Since each has one it's not important to chase what this is.
-I am definitely keeping this BF!