Ghostbusters Clue

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Ghostbusters Clue

Post by Jonathan Green »

Black
Bindle Stiff

Re: Ghostbusters Clue

Post by Black »

It also found this - it's how I'm feeling right now https://giphy.com/gifs/voy-h36vh423PiV9K

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 »

I can't be angry. Just another half-baked branded version. I don't like it obviously. But geek "culture" has mostly warped into companies getting people to spend all their money on remnants of their nostalgia, I'm sure all these licensed versions are fantastic sellers. Maybe they're a necessary evil, to keep Clue relevant (read: profitable) to Hasbro. But mmmmmmmmmmeh.

The Downton Abbey and Simpsons versions, those were the only two that really stuck out to me as working. So how about we use this thread as a chance to ruminate?
How would you make a branded edition work?
ImageImageImageImage

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Branded editions can work, when actual effort has gone into the artwork and production values, and when some thought has gone into matching the brand theming with the inherent theming of Clue. We had discussions in the past about how a Batman Clue could work and be really interesting - we got an official Batman Clue that seemed pretty poorly put together and boring.

I'd also love to see them do branded versions of Master Detective one day, if not just because it would be great to see Master Detective released again in some form :lol: I've said it before but a great branded version of Master Detective would be John Carpenter's the Thing.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

I view branded Clue(do) games as novelties. They are created for a specific niche of people. The other reason I see people buying these games from USAopoly (The OP) is they are part of that fandom or as a souvenir.

The only one I interested of getting is Scooby-Doo and Haunted Mansion, two properties I had experience with as a child.
I own the Tower of Terror Clue game, a favorite of mine.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums »

I think certain ones work well - others fall short.

I think there needs to be unique artwork drawn or modeled for the game (like Bobs Burgers, Simpsons, Scooby Doo, Big Bang Theory) and less "existing shots used from the show pasted onto Clue cards" (Walking Dead, Game of Thrones).

The locations picked also make the difference for me. Are we just cramming in as many notable locations from the show as possible? Or is there some coherent sense to our locations. The Bob's Burgers board utilizes all the upstairs locations of the family's apartment, while Game of Thrones and Walking Dead pick locations scattered around their world's map.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Jonathan Green wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:56 pm I view branded Clue(do) games as novelties. They are created for a specific niche of people. The other reason I see people buying these games from USAopoly (The OP) is they are part of that fandom or as a souvenir.

The only one I interested of getting is Scooby-Doo and Haunted Mansion, two properties I had experience with as a child.
I own the Tower of Terror Clue game, a favorite of mine.
Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror are both really good ones, as is Scooby-Doo - again, because they fit the theming of Clue extremely well. I also agree with cacums, they need to have actual effort put in and preferably create new artwork for the game to really help tie it all together. I've mentioned before as well, but part of the appeal of the Clue/do board to me is that it is representative of a real space, like you are actually moving through a mansion, so I also prefer ones that try to create a 'real' space compared to just random locations pulled from the franchise.

Ghostbusters could work, but I have the feeling it will probably just be lazy - the Real Ghostbusters cartoon would probably be the better version of the property to use for Clue, though, IMO.

ZachBlack000
Junior Detective

Post by ZachBlack000 »

Jonathan Green wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:00 pm https://www.instagram.com/p/COXzcXsAG23 ... 8qrnjc3lkx
Found this on Instagram
I'm so sorry, John, but this keeps happening to me, since Instagram doesn't accept Gmail accounts.
It's so frustrating! :oops: :x
Favorite Movie-Quote: "They all did it. But if you wanna know who killed Mr. Boddy, I did. In the hall, with the revolver." - Mr. Green, from Clue, played by Michael McKean.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

ZachBlack000 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:47 pm
Jonathan Green wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:00 pm https://www.instagram.com/p/COXzcXsAG23 ... 8qrnjc3lkx
Found this on Instagram
I'm so sorry, John, but this keeps happening to me, since Instagram doesn't accept Gmail accounts.
Have you tried making an IG account with your phone number? or Facebook?

ZachBlack000
Junior Detective

Post by ZachBlack000 »

Jonathan Green wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:29 pm
ZachBlack000 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:47 pm
Found this on Instagram
Have you tried making an IG account with your phone number? or Facebook?
Oh, thanks, I'm in! :P
Favorite Movie-Quote: "They all did it. But if you wanna know who killed Mr. Boddy, I did. In the hall, with the revolver." - Mr. Green, from Clue, played by Michael McKean.