Betrayal at Tudor Mansion

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

semicharm
Suspect

Betrayal at Tudor Mansion

Post by semicharm »

I hope this is the right place for this, as it is Clue related. The project started as a crossover game "mod" to play "Betrayal at House on the Hill" with Clue suspects, with the option to use Clue cards for some themed "haunts" I had in mind. Part of Betrayal is the "haunt", where an in game event starts a random horror themed scenario in which one the players betrays the others and plots to carry out some dastardly scheme.

However, managing the different sets of weapons and rooms across various Clue editions that players might have ended up being more trouble than I'd thought, so I ended up creating my own custom Clue deck and sheets. 14 suspects, 13 weapons, and 18 rooms (5 for the Widow’s Walk expansion). Only part of the deck is used in each game, so it offers a great deal of variety. Having a custom deck allowed the weapons to become playable items as well. In Clue themed haunts, you have to decide whether to keep the Clue cards in hand or reveal a weapon to use it and further your agenda.

So far, I have the deck completed and most character boards done. Since some Clue and Betrayal games have special character abilities, I'm thinking about adding those too. Only half of them are done though. I also have some ideas for Clue themed "haunts", but they're not totally flushed out yet.

I'm sure some are wondering why am I doing this? Clue and Betrayal are two very different games. One is about logic and deduction and the other is about adventure and random high jinks. Some of the Betrayal haunts have a "hidden" traitor, where only the traitor knows their true identity and intentions while the others have to deduce who it is and foil their scheme. I also thought it would be interesting to have a Clue style game with a randomly generated mansion. There was an edition of Clue with that, but it's fairly rare. Betrayal with its huge assortment of rooms that fits the majority of Clue editions provides a great format to play out that fantasy. Put all of that together and you get Betrayal at Tudor Mansion.
Betrayal "Clue" cards
Betrayal "Clue" cards
CardTest1.jpg (103.09 KiB) Viewed 315 times
Character Boards
Character Boards
Yellow Green.jpg (192.69 KiB) Viewed 315 times
Playing a standard Betrayal haunt, Scarlet turns traitor and slays the rest of the guests.
Playing a standard Betrayal haunt, Scarlet turns traitor and slays the rest of the guests.
ClueBetrayal1a50.jpg (138.38 KiB) Viewed 315 times

coinilius
Detective

Re: Betrayal at Tudor Mansion

Post by coinilius »

Awesome work so far, thank you for posting this! There is a thread on Board Game Geek about merging Clue and Betrayal as well that you might be able to get some inspiration from:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/179967 ... ion/page/1

Actually, there are 2 threads!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/209474 ... characters

And I also see that you are the one who posted one of those threads over there :lol: I thought the art you posted looked familiar! Great to see that you have been continuing with this!

semicharm
Suspect

Post by semicharm »

Yep that's me. When I posted about the Orchid miniature, I realized who else might have some ideas for Clue themed game play than Clue aficionados. :D Unfortunately, progress has been slow as it's been hard to get willing victims...I mean test subjects to test ideas.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Post by Jonathan Green »

Speaking of which, I got Mysterium for Christmas.

A Clue x Mysterium game would be cool!

semicharm
Suspect

Post by semicharm »

Jonathan Green wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:20 pm Speaking of which, I got Mysterium for Christmas.

A Clue x Mysterium game would be cool!
Mysterium already feels like a mashup of Dixit and Clue. Adding more Clue elements and theme to the game sounds intriguing. It's a perfect opportunity to revive Madame Rose. And Boddy is obviously the ghost. :lol: Perhaps another thread can be started to discuss this further.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

SPOILERS BETWEEN *

There is actually a CLUE themed haunt in Betrayal - it's in the expansion. *To trigger it, you need the ROPE omen card in one of the Clue locations (Dining Room, Kitchen or Study)*

*The Survivors take on the role of Clue characters (or the game's version) and their objective is to create an alibi for themselves, the Traitor is the Butler who committed the murder, to win, he has to frame one of the others for the murder*

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

semicharm wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:08 pm Yep that's me. When I posted about the Orchid miniature, I realized who else might have some ideas for Clue themed game play than Clue aficionados. :D Unfortunately, progress has been slow as it's been hard to get willing victims...I mean test subjects to test ideas.
Haha a few of us are on Board Game Geek as well as on here, so it's always cool to see 'cross-pollination' like this :lol:

I can relate to your problems with finding people willing to test your ideas - I've tried a few game variants and it can sometimes be hard to get people to give them a go. I've never actually played Betrayal, but I've lurked around it's forum at the Geek off-and-on.

semicharm
Suspect

Post by semicharm »

Black wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:41 pm SPOILERS BETWEEN *

There is actually a CLUE themed haunt in Betrayal - it's in the expansion. *To trigger it, you need the ROPE omen card in one of the Clue locations (Dining Room, Kitchen or Study)*

*The Survivors take on the role of Clue characters (or the game's version) and their objective is to create an alibi for themselves, the Traitor is the Butler who committed the murder, to win, he has to frame one of the others for the murder*
That's interesting. I have the expansion, but haven't played many of those haunts yet. Might be worth taking a look anyway.

semicharm
Suspect

Post by semicharm »

coinilius wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:16 pm
semicharm wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:08 pm Yep that's me. When I posted about the Orchid miniature, I realized who else might have some ideas for Clue themed game play than Clue aficionados. :D Unfortunately, progress has been slow as it's been hard to get willing victims...I mean test subjects to test ideas.
Haha a few of us are on Board Game Geek as well as on here, so it's always cool to see 'cross-pollination' like this :lol:

I can relate to your problems with finding people willing to test your ideas - I've tried a few game variants and it can sometimes be hard to get people to give them a go. I've never actually played Betrayal, but I've lurked around it's forum at the Geek off-and-on.
Betrayal seems to be one of those games that people either love or hate. I like the game, but I can also see some of the issues the haters have with it too. The ones who enjoy it the most seem to be those who lean into the zany B-rated horror movie theme and just roll with the punches. If that sounds like fun to you, go for it. It goes on sale occasionally, as well the occasional auction if price is an issue. At least it's not Mansions of Madness crazy.

semicharm
Suspect

Post by semicharm »

Back on topic... One of the few things that required an original Clue set was the envelope. Found an old manila mail envelope that I could hack up and craft my own.
EnvelopeTest1.jpg
EnvelopeTest1.jpg (111.7 KiB) Viewed 74 times
One of the haunt ideas I had for a secret traitor requires multiple sets of cards. The traitor's cards are the clues for the haunt. I tried to figure out ways to make it work, but they were too clumsy. Ended up requiring the players to have their own envelope. Each player gets a random one and puts their own set of cards in it. The envelopes have individual case numbers so only the traitor knows their secret role in the game. The envelopes are then shuffled face down and one with the traitor case file number becomes the official one for that game. The rest of the cards are removed and shuffled with the deck.

As for what the traitor does with this knowledge, other than thwart the other players from winning, I'm not sure. I tried a few ideas for that too, but they didn't work too well. At least not with the limited group I'm stuck with for the time being.

coinilius
Detective

Post by coinilius »

Nice work on the envelopes, and that's an interesting idea to have a traitor role - hope you can get the details worked out!

Elrond
Slueth

Post by Elrond »

I’m not at all interested in purchasing a copy of Betrayal or playing the original game, but maybe you could work out stand alone rules for playing with one or more of the Clue boards?

Or convince me that your Clue version of it is so fabulous that it’s worth investing in a full copy? ;)

semicharm
Suspect

Post by semicharm »

Elrond wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:11 pm I’m not at all interested in purchasing a copy of Betrayal or playing the original game, but maybe you could work out stand alone rules for playing with one or more of the Clue boards?

Or convince me that your Clue version of it is so fabulous that it’s worth investing in a full copy? ;)
If Betrayal doesn't appeal to you, then my Clue version probably won't do much for you either. It's mostly about bringing elements of Clue into Betrayal. If you skip over some of the elements of Betrayal, you'd have a version of Clue with a tile-based mansion. I agree that's probably not worth paying the full price for Betrayal. Decent used copies occasionally go on sale on ebay or stores like Half Price Books. Otherwise, I suppose some of the ideas I had could be played with a standard Clue board.

Also, I'd be interested if you have other alternative ideas for Clue that you think could work in Betrayal.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

Elrond wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:11 pm I’m not at all interested in purchasing a copy of Betrayal or playing the original game, but maybe you could work out stand alone rules for playing with one or more of the Clue boards?

Funny enough, I was absolutely the same. Just to compare and out of interest, what are your reasons?

Elrond
Slueth

Post by Elrond »

The paranormal dimensions aren't my scene for games. I love Clue because of it's semblance to classic Agatha Christi or Dorothy Sayers mysteries. Not such a fan of Stephen King or Goosebumps.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black »

I get that, I'm not a lover of horror or anything really horror-themed and I really don't like Co-Op tabletop games - but having played Betrayal at a tabletop club I used to go to, I found it fun

Elrond
Slueth

Post by Elrond »

Black wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:55 pm I get that, I'm not a lover of horror or anything really horror-themed and I really don't like Co-Op tabletop games - but having played Betrayal at a tabletop club I used to go to, I found it fun
What did you like about it?