Japanese TV And then there were none

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Japanese TV And then there were none

Post by CluedoKid » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:42 am

I discovered following the footsteps of the BBC's 2015 adaptation of And Then There Were None, Japan released their own version 2 year after. I managed to watch a poor-quality bootleg of it on YouTube. It was quite good and cleverly adapted, inspired by both the BBC version and the book.

It's set in modern times, so 2017, I assume. The location is an unused hotel on Soldier Island, that receives its mail by flying drones. The guests are enticed to it under the pretence of it being a "happy return-to-nature retreat", and thus, have their modular devices confiscated by the Rogeres upon arrival. The plot plays out as usual, however they include a lengthy scene of a police investigation at the end, retaining the equivalent characters of Thomas Legge and Inspector Maine where they find videotapes over the house recording the various rooms.

All the murders are more or less the same as the book.

The biggest changes are to the characters.

Anthony Marston probably gets the biggest character facelift. Here, he is an ex-boxer who beat to death his financier in confusion. He is now a turned mystery crime writer, and is the one to piece that UN Owen is Unknown, even before the record plays. Vera is now an ex-Olympic swimmer, turned tutor who allowed a student to drown during his lessons. Lombard is an aging mercenary who killed 5 Buddhist soldiers during an attack on a monastery. Blore's motive is changed to love; he frames the husband of a woman he is attracted to, to put him in prison. The General is now a Dietman (a member of Japanese Parliament) and sends Richmond to investigate an embassy suspected under terrorist threat, which blows up with him in it. Emily Brent is back to being an actress again (with no religious disposition) who goes as far as to proposing to Beatrice Taylor before learning she's pregnant. Dr. Armstrong is portrayed as a woman in this,(as often is done in the play) and her crime is the same, as is Wargrave's and the Rogeres.

Interesting too that I learned, the actor who played Wargrave really was suffering from cancer and died later that year after production.

Below: MacArthur, Mrs. Rogers, Emily, Lombard, Wargrave, Vera, Blore, Marston, Rogers, Armstrong

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Re: Japanese TV And then there were none

Post by CluedoKid » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:06 pm

Also, since I'm sure most of you would like to see, without sitting through 3 hours of Japanese, I have some screenshots of the deaths. ;)

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:11 pm

Nice find! I hope I have the time to watch that soon!

PrinceAlarming
Snoop

Post by PrinceAlarming » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:05 pm

I love the BBC one. It's quite possibly the closest adaptation to the book that I've seen. The PC game came close (in spite of Narracott being on the island as well as the playable character) up until the ending, which totally through me for a loop. The only thing I found odd about the BBC one was the scene where Vera, Lombard, Armstrong, and Blore get wasted and high. It just takes me out of the movie and seemed really unnecessary. It's awesome to see that the book has been adapted in Japan as well.

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:40 pm

Ohh this looks good! shame I don't know the language. Interesting change on the characters. Thanks for the info and pics!