New Clue Parody Game

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

User avatar
Mr. Sterling Silver
Private Eye
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:33 pm
Location: Hampshire, where else?

Re: New Clue Parody Game

Post by Mr. Sterling Silver » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:03 am

I picked this up yesterday at a Target in a neighboring town (my local Target didn't have it). As a lighthearted knockoff, I think it's just fine -- and I find it far more appealing than the recent "Mystery Game." And since we've gone from the "victim" being a corpse to instead a missing pal, swapping "Buddy" for "Boddy" strikes me as a clever substitution.
Image

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: New Clue Parody Game

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:13 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:28 am
Life in particular has plenty of extracurricular activities integrated to ramp up the silliness (dares on certain action cards to avoid financial penalties include sniffing an opponent’s armpit, standing with one’s nose to the wall until their next turn, and revealing potentially salacious details from one’s past, to name a few). The Clue game is probably the tamest of the entire lineup, as far as adult themes are concerned.

But it’s Hasbro. Their idea of *adult* games is typically pretty tame compared to the companies who produce the smaller, definitely more explicitly adult games. Implications of a wild night of drinking, potential drug use, and other poorly advised shenanigans are about as far as Hasbro could have taken this Clue game without changing the name & selling it as a different brand under another of their publishing branches.
...
As for other firsts: I believe this is the only physical edition which has ever offered visual context for the victim & weapons. We’be had Boddy/Black depicted before in single images, and we’ve even seen the weapons depicted in actual locations where they may be found, but nothing to the extent of this game showing Buddy in each possible scenario. It’s a nice touch, but one which might make the classic game too dark (for the family audience) if it were ever implemented there.
1) Yes, a few more "silly" twists to gameplay like Life would have gone a long way toward making this game more adult fun.
2) Granted Hasbro is being conservative, but everything about this game is just a slight step up from the Parker Brothers Mystery Game. I think Hasbro should have released it under another brand as a true parody. They could even use "Clue-like" game in their marketing considering they own it to help sell it.
3) Representing Boddy dead in crime scene photos is definitely dark and grisly. The only place for that would be on the weapons photos, which would be weird given that those images would have to be recreated, as they are in the Marmelade game, which might make sense for that when making suggestions and acusations, but not really in the board game. And I'm not sure what other scenario it would make sense for -- is there another Clue variant where we solve for "what were they doing"? Actually, this would be a great premise for a Clue: WEEKEND AT BERNIE'S edition. Who discovered Bernie was dead, in what location and what were they doing when they discovered it?

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: New Clue Parody Game

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:22 pm

Mr. Sterling Silver wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:03 am
I picked this up yesterday at a Target in a neighboring town (my local Target didn't have it). As a lighthearted knockoff, I think it's just fine -- and I find it far more appealing than the recent "Mystery Game." And since we've gone from the "victim" being a corpse to instead a missing pal, swapping "Buddy" for "Boddy" strikes me as a clever substitution.
I totally agree about Buddy and Boddy. Can't say the rest of the suspects turn me on. I'd rather have hipster/millennial parodies of the standard 6 (well, with Ordhid instead of White I guess) -- which could be really amusing for Clue fans (but also unfortunately look like DTS too I suppose). The board artwork is great, and I love the way the cards are all photos. So there's a lot of interesting things going for it. It just falls flat for me with the suspects and with how few risks they take with the "what were they doing?" part of the gameplay, and the lack of tokens to represent it.

User avatar
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out
Posts: 3216
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:45 pm
Location: GA, USA

Re: New Clue Parody Game

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:28 pm

I got give this a test drive tonight. It’s definitely over faster than most games of Clue, especially with the 2 player rules. We ended up losing our last round early thanks to a Mystery Card knocking an hour off the clock. What really struck me is how the board seems intentionally designed to push players into final bets instead of successfully finishing the game. Only the Casino has 2 doors, the Trams only work in one direction, and almost all of the doors are down the side corridors. We ended more than one round with pawns stranded in the corridor instead of reaching rooms. Maybe it’s more likely someone could logically reach the solution with 3-6 players, but with only 2 it was never gonna happen without consistently rolling 9+ on the dice.

Verdict: a decent amusement, probably better with more players. I wouldn’t ever make it a first choice for a real game night, but it’s a good contender for parties or a quick 10 minute break.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

User avatar
PrinceAlarming
Snoop
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:05 am
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: New Clue Parody Game

Post by PrinceAlarming » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:35 pm

It’s been a good while since I focused on my Clue collection and I realized that I didn’t have an edition with Dr Orchid. But I went to 2 different Targets yesterday and they only had the parody version, which I did purchase. Later my friends made a Target run to a third location and picked up the Rustic Series edition for me as a thank you gift. But no sign of a recent standard edition, not even offered on Targets website. There’s a classic one, the rustic one, and the parody one listed on their site. I wonder if the lack of a recent standard edition (being roughly half the price of the rustic one) being offered is to push the sales of the parody one.

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: New Clue Parody Game

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:10 pm

PrinceAlarming wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:35 pm
It’s been a good while since I focused on my Clue collection and I realized that I didn’t have an edition with Dr Orchid. But I went to 2 different Targets yesterday and they only had the parody version, which I did purchase. Later my friends made a Target run to a third location and picked up the Rustic Series edition for me as a thank you gift. But no sign of a recent standard edition, not even offered on Targets website. There’s a classic one, the rustic one, and the parody one listed on their site. I wonder if the lack of a recent standard edition (being roughly half the price of the rustic one) being offered is to push the sales of the parody one.
Do you mean the original square box Orchid edition, or the new rectangular Mirror edition with the figurines for $20? Target should have the original square box version for $10. Wal-Mart has it on their website, and I think in stores. Amazon also has both editions.

User avatar
PrinceAlarming
Snoop
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:05 am
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: New Clue Parody Game

Post by PrinceAlarming » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:54 am

Murder by Death wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:10 pm
PrinceAlarming wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:35 pm
It’s been a good while since I focused on my Clue collection and I realized that I didn’t have an edition with Dr Orchid. But I went to 2 different Targets yesterday and they only had the parody version, which I did purchase. Later my friends made a Target run to a third location and picked up the Rustic Series edition for me as a thank you gift. But no sign of a recent standard edition, not even offered on Targets website. There’s a classic one, the rustic one, and the parody one listed on their site. I wonder if the lack of a recent standard edition (being roughly half the price of the rustic one) being offered is to push the sales of the parody one.
Do you mean the original square box Orchid edition, or the new rectangular Mirror edition with the figurines for $20? Target should have the original square box version for $10. Wal-Mart has it on their website, and I think in stores. Amazon also has both editions.
I ordered the mirror edition online (but not from Target). Neither one can be found on their website or in any of the local Targets in my area.

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: New Clue Parody Game

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:20 am

PrinceAlarming wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:54 am
Murder by Death wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:10 pm
PrinceAlarming wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:35 pm
It’s been a good while since I focused on my Clue collection and I realized that I didn’t have an edition with Dr Orchid. But I went to 2 different Targets yesterday and they only had the parody version, which I did purchase. Later my friends made a Target run to a third location and picked up the Rustic Series edition for me as a thank you gift. But no sign of a recent standard edition, not even offered on Targets website. There’s a classic one, the rustic one, and the parody one listed on their site. I wonder if the lack of a recent standard edition (being roughly half the price of the rustic one) being offered is to push the sales of the parody one.
Do you mean the original square box Orchid edition, or the new rectangular Mirror edition with the figurines for $20? Target should have the original square box version for $10. Wal-Mart has it on their website, and I think in stores. Amazon also has both editions.
I ordered the mirror edition online (but not from Target). Neither one can be found on their website or in any of the local Targets in my area.
I suppose it makes sense. Target has two exclusive editions they want to sell. The Rustic edition does have Orchid in it, so they’re carrying at least one Orchid version. So they’re trying to push the editions they have an investment in, and carrying the cheaper standard editions would undermine that investment. Target reportedly did have some of the square box Orchid editions, but that was probably old stock and they didn’t reorder pending the liquidation of their exclusive editions.

User avatar
PrinceAlarming
Snoop
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:05 am
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: New Clue Parody Game

Post by PrinceAlarming » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:31 am

Murder by Death wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:20 am
PrinceAlarming wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:54 am
Murder by Death wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:10 pm


Do you mean the original square box Orchid edition, or the new rectangular Mirror edition with the figurines for $20? Target should have the original square box version for $10. Wal-Mart has it on their website, and I think in stores. Amazon also has both editions.
I ordered the mirror edition online (but not from Target). Neither one can be found on their website or in any of the local Targets in my area.
I suppose it makes sense. Target has two exclusive editions they want to sell. The Rustic edition does have Orchid in it, so they’re carrying at least one Orchid version. So they’re trying to push the editions they have an investment in, and carrying the cheaper standard editions would undermine that investment. Target reportedly did have some of the square box Orchid editions, but that was probably old stock and they didn’t reorder pending the liquidation of their exclusive editions.
Yeah that pretty much sums up my conclusion on the issue as well. My Clue game arrived with the gimmicky mirror, btw. It's neat but the suspect cards barely fit into the designated slot and I'm afraid of wear and tear on the bottom of the cards from trying to fit them in each time. :(

Post Reply