TAoM Invasion of the Spambots

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

TAoM Invasion of the Spambots

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:55 pm

[*]A new forum for the Russian thing that's happening.
Last edited by Jonathan Green on Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: TAoM Russian Invasion

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:58 am

JosephUnibe wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:55 am
Hello, Downloads music club Djs Electronic/Trance/Dance,
mp3 private server. (POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS LINK REMOVED)

Best Regards,
Robert
LOL

BBP
Junior Detective

Re: TAoM Invasion of the Spambots

Post by BBP » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:34 am

I found a few of the posts that I accidentally deleted on Sep 11th, unfortunately it misses my warning about a spammer posting PM's and the ensuing hilarity
Attachments
collusion_snip_2.JPG
collusion_snip_2.JPG (61.42 KiB) Viewed 6296 times
collusionsnip_1.JPG
collusionsnip_1.JPG (91.06 KiB) Viewed 6296 times

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:13 am

Again spammers have invaded the PM inboxes. Please throw these PMs away without opening.

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:31 pm

I'm now 100% sure that users can still post even after banning. I banned the user MichaelWAG like 5 times but he kept posting.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:07 pm

It’s a nice big mess now, isn’t it? I wonder what it is about the upgraded site that’s making it so easy for bots to open accounts. :?
"But look what happened to the cook!"

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:28 am

CAPTCHA's been hacked. They're just bots.

I run an XMB-board which is such unpopular software the spammers can be controlled, but with phpBB it's a nightmare. I know my boyfriend (who is a programmer with a phpBB board) has a lot of tricks and filters to prevent the bots from getting in but that's such a job it may be easier to just remove them manually.

At the moment "sorting" puzzles seem to be the bee's knees when it comes to filtering the bots - new subscribers have to slide pictures in two categories depending on what you see on them.

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:53 am

I'll be on vacation for a day or two, please bear with me and heed the following:

DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINK A SPAMMER POSTS. There's a good chance you'll get infected with Trojan or ransomware just by clicking once.

To be on the safe side, don't even open the topic. There's no need to report topics since I can see them clearly.
Spam posts in a topic are a different matter though. Please report them if you encounter them.

You can add a spammer user to your "foe" list if you should encounter him in your favourite topic, so you won't see its posts anymore. By adding people to your "foe" list, you can't see what they post unless you click on it.

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:51 pm

It's getting out of hand with the spammers at the moment...

You may notice I've just deleted a post in the iOS topic from a new user. This user's been quoted.
One spammer tactic is to make an inoccuous post, and later alter this post to contain harmful links. This was such a post.

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:51 pm

There's a well-known bug with PHPBB - meaning that spammers can still get in on an account or IP address that has been hacked. I'm now busy logging the incidents - resorting to banning groups of frequently occurring IPs.

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:30 am

I now have proof that PHPBB's banlists don't work. Neither the IP-ban nor the UN-ban work fully.

TheButlerButInnocent
Snoop

Post by TheButlerButInnocent » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:33 am

Are there other platforms where spamming is less of an issue (Discource or vbulletin?), or is there something we as a community can do to better deter spam and spam accounts? I'm sure I speak for multiple users when I say that we appreciate all you do, @BBP, to remove all the ads for fake EU passports and the like.

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:19 pm

The problem is that this forum is presently relying on PHPBB software, which is freeware and used widely. Because of that it is very lucrative to invent new methods of getting in.

My boyfriend runs a larger PHPBB forum, he's also a programmer. He's developed a lot of methods to remove spammers - measuring for instance the amount of time it takes to fill in the registration form (spammers do that in 0 seconds, by throwing away the users who register using less time than 2 seconds on their form are automatically deleted). He can block 98% of spammers coming in.

Even with less programming skill it's possible to install methods to block them. PHPBB automatically comes with Captcha, but captcha's been hacked. PHPBB also comes with the ban list, but as I notice time after time, neither the username ban nor the IP ban works properly.

Some benevolent programmers create other clever ways to block spammers. One of them is the "sorting" puzzle where you drag pictures into fields. These then get published on PHPBB forums. But the more widespread their use becomes, the quicker some hacker will come up with a way to hack them.

The frustrating thing is - there's not much either one of us can do. Only Michael would be able to delete forum members or install other registration methods, and he's really busy (which is why I offered to do this spam chucking thing). I can delete the spam, but that's about it since user ban doesn't work.

So, if you want to do something:
- NEVER EVER CLICK on a link a spammer posts. Even a simple accidental click is enough to install a Trojan virus or ransomware.
-Keep the community going, don't stop talking because of spammers.
-Don't click on topics that are created by spammers to be on the safe side
-Report spam replies. I may not read a topic, by reporting it I can find it.

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:33 pm

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:07 pm

BBP wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:33 pm
This looks useful!

https://www.stopforumspam.com
We need it!
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:59 pm

My apologies for getting the forum overrun... I've bulk removed around 300 topics and banned the usernames and IPs...

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:31 am

I've banned the entire 172.68 IP range but that doesn't stop spammers from that IP coming in... WTH is that ban function supposed to do?!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:09 am

Holy spam ... I know you’re doing your best, but perhaps it’s time to give in and just re-name this forum, “The Art of P o r n” ;-)

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:27 am

Hahahaha! You know I'm a fan of Mr Bungle? They have a song by that name! :lol:

I'm doing what I can to delete them all but unless Michael comes in and places quite a few blocks or introduces a registration barrier the bots can't get past... it, as the Dutch proverb goes, mopping with the tap open. I'm sure there's an English equivalent of that but I need to brush up on my idioms.

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:48 am

I'm going to have to ask Michael to come in to help... last week we had 54 pages of members and today we have 70!

That was in February, two months later we're at 88 member pages. We need help here!