Simple Homemade Clue Game

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators:Michael, BBP, Tum

cacums
Ringer
Simple Homemade Clue Game

Post by cacums » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:05 pm

I've always been a fan of Captain Brown, Miss Peach, and Mr. Slate-Grey. Sadly in the game they appear we aren't allowed to suspect them or involve them in our game all that much. So I decided to make a simple game in which they can be uses.

Things you need:

* The Cards from Super Cluedo Challenge
* The Pawns from Super Cluedo Challenge (or any correctly colored pawns for the nine suspects of that game)
* The Weapons pieces from Super Cluedo Challenge (or PTM if you feel so inclined)
* THESE printable notepads.
* THIS printable board

My first game was successful. My mom won by a long shot by suspecting her own cards after finding out the suspect and weapon on her first turn. It was Mrs. Peacock with the Poison in the Library.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Cute board, it has a nice vintage feel.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks. Here's a picture of the pieces on the board.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:22 am

It looks really cool. Though the only suggestion I can make is to use only one die.

Would it be possible to do a forum version?

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:30 am

Black wrote:It looks really cool. Though the only suggestion I can make is to use only one die.

Would it be possible to do a forum version?
Dutch rules say 2 dice, and I must say I prefer 2 over 1. It's less Ludo that way.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:27 am

But if you look at the board, you don't really need that much to enter a room. Most you need to enter a room at the start is six and that's only if you're playing as Colonel Mustard.

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:02 am

That's right! Hadn't noticed that, I just guessed it would be the regular board design. If you're so determined to spend little time outside rooms you may as well cancel them altogether and just move back and forth between them, like on the DVD game.

The "middle" door to the dining room is now obsolete on this board, since any other place is as eary as, or easier to reach from any of the other doors.
(Does that make sense? I'm not a native speaker.)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Nice work. I am curious about the rationale behind the board. Why not just use ANY standard Clue board? Why do you need the extra spaces on this one (nice though it may be)?

Also, if you have everything else from the Super Challenge game, you also have the board. Why not just use that board? I kind of like it actually, and I'm almost certain that many families eschewed the weird card readers and new rules and probably just played the game using standard Cluedo rules they knew and loved anyway. It makes for a nice variation, and I like the idea of using the exterior path, as well as everyone starting outside the house.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:10 pm

Murder by Death wrote:Nice work. I am curious about the rationale behind the board. Why not just use ANY standard Clue board? Why do you need the extra spaces on this one (nice though it may be)?
I like the idea of being able to play any character. If It weren't for the Captain Brown space between the Billiard Room and Library a regular board could be used with those empty spaces colored and filled.

I love the Super Cluedo Challenge Board too, but I'm not sure if the spaces in the rooms will be confusing or useful.

----

Under Cluedokid's suggestion, I'm going to use the fan made human suspects pictures seen here

I'm currently working on weapon and room cards to match.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:35 pm

Black wrote:Would it be possible to do a forum version?
Perhaps after the Master Detective game has simmered down.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:19 am

Would that mean you'll have to change the Mr. Slate-Grey's name on both the board and the notepad?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:19 pm

cacums wrote: If It weren't for the Captain Brown space between the Billiard Room and Library a regular board could be used with those empty spaces colored and filled.

I love the Super Cluedo Challenge Board too, but I'm not sure if the spaces in the rooms will be confusing or useful.
Ah now I see what you did. However, I would say printing out small square stickers would be the most professional-looking way to do it, in which case, you can easily add the Captain Brown space to any Clue/do board (they have removable stickers as well to avoid permanently altering a board).

I'm not sure I agree about the Challenege board spaces being confusing, but to the extent they are distracting, using similar removable stickers, just cover them. Or find a way to incorporate them into the game.
cacums wrote:Under Cluedokid's suggestion, I'm going to use the fan made human suspects pictures seen here

I'm currently working on weapon and room cards to match.
Ah yes, those are the ones I posted under the fan-art section a few weeks ago. I think those are a great improvement over the actual Challenege cards, especially since they have the weird and otherwise unused color blocks all over them.

But since you are going the extra mile to create your own cards now, they become a viable option. Great idea. your weapons will have to be real photos as well, since you will want to match quality from card to card. Likewise for the room art.

This brings me to another thought, it's so easy to print out high quality stickers that can be applied to any set of cards, I'm not sure why we don't all do this more often. With that in mind, using the small square sticker method I described above for adding the extra starting spaces to the board, why not take any Clue/do board with artwork you like, then use the cards from that set for the rooms, and then print your own custom cards for the weapons and suspects. It would be so easy to scan the cards to make stickers to apply to any playing card deck, and you can even create a custom logo sticker for the card backs to cover the generic design.

I do like your board, I'm just thinking about how to make a more finished, professional-looking, game, that has a consistent look throughout, especially now that you are using such high quality professional photographs for the suspects.

Either way, thanks for the idea ... It's a nice variation to have and good motivation to go out and do this, and similar custom games myself.