Clue: 13 Dead End Drive

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Elrond
Gumshoe

Re: Clue: 13 Dead End Drive

Post by Elrond » Sat May 04, 2019 2:06 pm

Or just play it as regular only replacing the portraits and pawns with Clue characters!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat May 04, 2019 3:20 pm

Elrond wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:06 pm
Or just play it as regular only replacing the portraits and pawns with Clue characters!
I believe that may have been the original idea of the thread. But then that’s just another game being labeled Clue as was Mysteries, and The Great Museum Caper. With @cacums idea, at least the characteristic mansion was brought into play along with the suspects and weapons. I hope he weighs in on this thread as I’m curious how he intended the weapons to be used. Or, if he was going more along the lines of a Clue game with traps.

My intent was to make the existing game as simple as possible to play like Clue by using the original artwork (like a Parker Brothers Mystery Game “knock off”). But I realized later that the card backs are different so Traps and Suspects would be obvious from the back. Better to use and old set of Clue cards, with the death traps pasted over the weapons, and Clue Pawns. One of the 13 portraits could just be a new depiction of Boddy, Mr. Meadow-Brooke, or another Clue victim (or just Mr. Boddy’s beloved cat!).

I’m not sure I like the concept of 13 Dead End Drive in of itself. It seems somewhat complicated, and I’m not sure I understand how the portraits work, hence my interest in converting it to more familiar gameplay. Moreover the traps are somewhat gimmicky and unnecessary. Again, my 8 year old self would have loved this game, as I did Moustrap and any game with 3D elements, but those elements don’t do much for me now, just as the Card Revealing Mirror in the latest Clue edition leaves me cold. So no need to implement them, just land on the space as a room space to make a guess.

If one wanted to use traps, maybe use the “special powers” cards concept to allow other players a one time chance to activate the traps instead of showing a card they may have, and sending the other player back to the starting point. Or simply a draw and discard pile when landing on certain spaces, using the game’s original cards.

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Sun May 05, 2019 7:38 am

I loved the way the Clue games in the 2000s told a unified story through different concepts: the all take place in the 1920s and are meant to be played together. Mysteries sets you up for FX which is followed by DVD. If you play those games, you understand the motives and characters leading up to the original Clue game. I thought it was a shame they never continued the idea of doing sequels like the VHS games of the 80s but continuing the 1920s theme and storyline.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri May 10, 2019 4:05 pm

Elrond wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:38 am
I loved the way the Clue games in the 2000s told a unified story through different concepts: the all take place in the 1920s and are meant to be played together. Mysteries sets you up for FX which is followed by DVD. If you play those games, you understand the motives and characters leading up to the original Clue game. I thought it was a shame they never continued the idea of doing sequels like the VHS games of the 80s but continuing the 1920s theme and storyline.
Mysteries was after FX, and DVD was released the same year as Mysteries. But I guess retroactively they all line up?

There's probably two reasons there were no sequels. Unlike the VHS years, there was a lot more expansion opportunities, and if DVD didn't sell that well, there was no reason to update it and continue selling it. More importantly, it seems like Hasbro changed course pretty dramatically and killed any projects that didn't support the switch to DTS only two years later in 2007.

It's too bad really, because there's your cinematic universe right there.