Cluedo Super Sleuth, rules clarification

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Cluedo Super Sleuth, rules clarification

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:40 pm

Finally got myself a copy of ‘95s Cluedo Super Sleuth — essentially finishing the part of my collection for advanced editions (except Passport to Murder & the UK Super Cluedo, which are ultimately just redesigns of earlier advanced games, so I’m not rushing to bankrupt myself trying to snag those any time soon). I’ve had the opportunity so far for 3 play throughs (TL;DR very pretty, fine for 2 players but definitely a more unpredictable game with 3+), and even so there’s still a few fine points of the rules I can’t quite nail down (the rules booklet in my copy is SO badly written I have to wonder if Waddingtons ever issued a revised version during the game’s production — anyone here know?).

So, hopefully someone here knows this game well enough to weigh in on my two nagging questions:

1. Ending your turn

The rules detail, in two separate sections, “Searching for Clues and Items” and “Making a suggestion.” In the first it describes what Clue & Item cards are, how to collect & use them (vaguely, see question 2), and also describes Events cards. Only in the following section about suggestions does it say:
When a player reaches a room, that player can immediately make a “suggestion” to another player, who is already in it, but their turn ends after making the suggestion.
Am I correct, then, to read it as a player may, in one turn: enter a room, collect a Clue or Item, and then make a suggestion to another player in that same room? I would assume (only because the printed rules don’t explicitly say otherwise) that both actions (collecting & suggestions) are allowed to happen in one turn. To my mind, it would needlessly drag the game out, otherwise.

Similarly, since a player is never required to roll the die on every turn, can one opt to stay put & make a suggestion (assuming an opponent is in the same room), or are suggestions only intended to be made “when a player reaches a room” (as quoted above)? Again, my mind would assume both can happen in one, unless the game is trying to torture players into an extra ha.f hour of JUST moving around to stage suggestion scenarios.

The only exception to any of this that I can tell is the handful of Events cards which explicitly say “Do XYZ, your turn is now ended.” +2 points for the dose of clarity offered by these cards. :lol:

2) Item Cards: secret?

The rules do state that Item cards are only read aloud when a player is choosing to use one at the start of their turn. Fine & dandy. Otherwise, are these kept secret until they’re read aloud for use? Strategically, I can understand why players would keep their item collections a secret, but of course the rules are only vague.

The confusion is primarily due to the 4 Items which are not immediately discarded after use, but which feature large text stating “Keep this card for future use.” These are the Crystal Pendant (a booster for making suggestions), and the Rolling Pin, Poker, and Hammer (all used for breaking other players’ Items as detailed on the cards).

Those 3 Smashy Smashy item cards state (bold emphasis mine):
Immediately use this item at the start of your turn when you are on a square next to another player and want to break any one of the following items they may have …

… When you play this card the other player must discard one of the items above if they have one. …
And that “may” is where I start overthinking everything (so, here I am). If all players are keeping their Items secret until choosing to use one, then these re-usable weapons (essentially) are only effective if one guesses correctly that the opponent they’re standing next to is holding one of the listed, breakable Items (yes? That’s the gamble you’re taking in welding this Rolling Pin or Hammer, I figure).

Further down this rabbit hole: if I decide to try to break an opponent’s Item, do I need to declare which of the listed Items I’m trying to break, or is it simply “If player is holding either XYZ, they must discard one of them”? Then after revealing possession of a re-usable Item, is that card returned to my secret Item pile, or should it be left facing up since it’s no longer really a secret that I’ve got this re-usable card?

I don’t assume anyone here has an absolute correct answer to any of this (unless there is actually a revised copy of the rules issued by Waddingtons that addresses these points — Cluedofan.com alludes to a revised version which removed the “ask permission to pass an opponent’s playing piece” mechanic, but that’s all Paul described on the site), BUT you are all certainly the best corner of the overall board gaming community for dissecting the finer points of any Clue/do game, so any help with interpretation is appreciated. :D
"But look what happened to the cook!"