DIY Clue Game

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

PrinceAlarming
Spy

DIY Clue Game

Post by PrinceAlarming » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:05 am

After stumbling across an amazing show on Netflix that showcased DIY projects, it inspired me to create my own Clue game based on that very show: The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell. Although the show mostly focused on edible creations and the only quote-unquote board game featured in it was a spirit board that was one giant cookie, I knew that a board game seemed like a doable project for me to tackle.

I looked up tutorials on YouTube for tips on making game boards, playing pieces, and game cards that were durable to use over and over. On Amazon I found blank playing cards, cardboard game pieces, and game boards to choose from. The visuals will all be screenshots from the show which I played at a slower speed to find just the right freeze frame for each image. Each image will be printed out on sticker paper and then cut to size to fit the card, game piece, or space on the board, and then sprayed with a sealant to protect the images.

The layout of the game board is much more simplified than the traditional Clue board. There are only 9 spaces on the board, which are the 9 rooms. They're arranged in a in 3x3 layout like TIc-Tac-Toe. Players will roll one die and be able to move that many spaces towards the room they're trying to get to and can stop once they reach it. The reason behind this was to eliminate the frustration of rolling a low number and not being able to reach another room on your turn. Of course a low roll in this game will force you to make a guess in a room that you may have already eliminated, but if you're lucky the person showing you a Clue card may have forgotten that you've seen it and may show you a non-room card instead. Rooms are connected by hallways and staircases reminiscent of the layout of the house in the show; making some rooms harder to reach than others.

While the board has a set 9 locations, I'm making more than 6 characters and 6 items to choose from, allowing players to customize their game by choosing which characters and items they'd like to use each play through.

Now the copyright of this show is owned by Netflix and the Jim Henson company who created the muppet characters in the show, so this is not something that I can sell since I'm using screenshots from the show. If original fan artwork was used and I didn't use the word 'Clue' to market it, then I could probably try to sell it; but really this game is for my family and friends who are huge fans of the show and of Christine McConnell.

For those of you not familiar with the show or with Christine McConnell herself, I highly recommend watching the show on Netflix and Christine's YouTube channel. Shortly after becoming a huge fan of Christine and her show, I had the honor of not only meeting Christine in person, but also becoming her friend. She even asked me to make a cameo in one of her YouTube episodes. While taking a short break from constructing her gingerbread house replica of Winchester Mystery House, she takes some axe throwing lessons on the Winchester estate where you'll see me sharpening axes in the background while she hurls an axe at her cameraman.

I was already in the process of making the game when I met her, and she told me that not only is she excited to see the final product, but she also mentioned that Clue is one of her all time favorite movies.

For anyone else who has considered making their own Clue game, or any game really, there are some really helpful YouTube videos with great tips as well as pre-made customize-able game components to use in putting it together.

PrinceAlarming
Spy

Re: DIY Clue Game

Post by PrinceAlarming » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:30 am

Mockup of the board layout.

Blue: 1st Floor
Pink: 2nd Floor
Brown: Underground
Green: Outside
Orange: Staircase
Grey: Stone Pathway
7F35FDB8-F7BD-447A-B0F5-B5B60E9482B6.jpeg
7F35FDB8-F7BD-447A-B0F5-B5B60E9482B6.jpeg (70.47 KiB) Viewed 104 times

Jonathan Green
Junior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:03 am

Sounds interesting.
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

The Late Dr Black
Snoop

Post by The Late Dr Black » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:57 pm

I really like the idea of a custom design. I've been thinking about making my own. Though I would probably use the Master Detective Cluedo board and replace a couple of rooms ( not a fan of the Hall & Lounge usage) .

I'd love a Cluedo with multiple suspects & weapons. Mix & match.

coinilius
Spy

Post by coinilius » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:53 pm

I’m following along with interest! Not to derail the thread, but I have been playing around with a train themed Cluedo card game concept, but I don’t have the time or patience at this stage to actually make a set like this, so I am looking forward to seeing how yours comes along (I just like working out the play mechanics and concepts).

PrinceAlarming
Spy

Post by PrinceAlarming » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:50 am

coinilius wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:53 pm
I’m following along with interest! Not to derail the thread, but I have been playing around with a train themed Cluedo card game concept, but I don’t have the time or patience at this stage to actually make a set like this, so I am looking forward to seeing how yours comes along (I just like working out the play mechanics and concepts).
Murder On The Orient Express by Agatha Christie could be a good source of inspiration for that. Also look into the Clue card game from years ago that had modes of transportation in it for potential game mechanics to reflect on

coinilius
Spy

Post by coinilius » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:12 am

PrinceAlarming wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:50 am
Murder On The Orient Express by Agatha Christie could be a good source of inspiration for that. Also look into the Clue card game from years ago that had modes of transportation in it for potential game mechanics to reflect on
Coincidentally, a lot of the ideas I had were shaping up to be similar to the game Mystery Express, except I hadn't actually seen that game when I started developing it (but Mystery Express is pretty much extrapolated from Clue on a Train) - Murder on the Orient Express the board game also gave me some inspiration. The Clue card games were also big inspirations already!