Is Boddy a nice man?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Boddy = Good Guy?

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 4

Jonathan Green
Junior Detective

Is Boddy a nice man?

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:37 pm

If you couldn’t tell from my earlier post about Mr. Boddy, I imagine him to be a overall nice person. No saint but a pleasant guy to be around. Someone like Reginald Boddy (A.E. Parker books) and John Boddy (2000s) games.
Making Boddy a nice man would make sense why his friends are trying to find his killer. If Boddy was a huge jerk-face like CD-i Boddy, I think they be saying “He deserved it.” But if he was kind, then they be general considered who killed him.
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

coinilius
Spy

Re: Is Boddy a nice man?

Post by coinilius » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:44 pm

I always imagined that the guests are trying to find out who the killer is so that they can prove it was someone else so they don’t get arrested themselves, rather than out of a sense of loyalty to him, but it depends on the ‘continuity’ or scenario you want to imagine.

Jonathan Green
Junior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:13 pm

coinilius wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:44 pm
I always imagined that the guests are trying to find out who the killer is so that they can prove it was someone else so they don’t get arrested themselves, rather than out of a sense of loyalty to him, but it depends on the ‘continuity’ or scenario you want to imagine.
That quite possible.
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:14 am

I've always viewed him as opinionated. He's a spoiled brat that grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth. He has an INSANELY big ego. He thinks he's untouchable by the law and by the classes beneath him. In his mind, he isn't doing anything wrong. He was taught and raised in excess wealth. But I feel he would come off with a snobby, cruel, demanding, god-complex.

So to answer your question (or complicate it) He is not a bad man... he just has a bad attitude and a bad impression on people.

But that attitude, mixed with the self-concerned motives of the suspects (and the secrets they are protecting) could easily lead to Boddy being a victim from either "red flags, end it before something happens" or "dammit he broke the last straw"

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:46 am

I like to think of him as the nicest person on the board, comparatively speaking of course. In the games leading up to Clue and in the books, he always gives those who have wronged him countless second chances. But when your friends try to steal from/kill you for the 78th time it would be completely understandable to be upset. It's the suspects who are in the wrong

PrinceAlarming
Spy

Post by PrinceAlarming » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:02 pm

My favorite version of Mr Boddy is from Clue The Musical. We get more insight on his past deeds with each suspect. He presents himself as a proper host, yet doesn’t apologize or feel guilt for his misdeeds. He breaks the fourth wall throughout the show, even after he’s been murdered.