Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:45 pm

Sir Shamrock wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:06 pm
Murder by Death wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:15 am
My bigger problem is with including the non-playing characters in general. Ashe I was aware of from discussions on this board, but Inspector Brown exists only in the rarer expansion games as a non-playing character. Granted they both have a physical depictions, but I’ve never actually played those games, nor do I own them. I get the nostalgia factor for those who have, and do. At least Inspector Brown has the international factor working in his favor with the benefit of an expanded audience. Though I rather get the impression fans of the game would rather have Lady Lavender over Brown, or even Ashe. And since we’re talking colors, I’d say the introduction of two new greens and another brown suggests Lavender is not going to be a problem with Orchid and Rose — so I rescind my previous prediction that there would be no Lavender.

Frankly, if they add new characters, I’d rather see them introduce new original characters to fill out the demographic, as well as the color spectrum, rather than add existing white male non-playing characters. And yes they can change the race and gender of any existing characters, but that’s not really the same, which is why we have Orchid now.

Either way, watching Marmalade expand the Cluedo universe is perhaps even more interesting to follow than the actual games themselves...
To be fair, technology speaking Brown has been in more games than Ashe (FX, DVD, Mysteries, Express, Cluedo Party, and Clue 2002), but I can understand where you're coming from. I'm just saying that if they need to fill a quota for an new update and they need more characters in a pinch, then Ashe and Brown would work just fine. There are other characters to use, but not as well known as them. They now have Sherlock and Watson as a possible murderers so what stopping them from adding the non-playable people.

Now I'm not sure adding completely new original people is the way to go though. There wouldn't be any nostalgia for the new players to by them and there might be a similar reaction to the new characters from the Clue Comics from last year. If they wanted to fill out some demographics by adding new characters, then they dan use the original patented characters. Theres no description for them so they can do whatever they want, and the eagle eyed Clue fans would be real eager to get a part of it. But in the end it's their game, so they'll do whatever they need. Who knows, maybe they'll have Matlock and Jessica Fletcher as the next people.

I hope you're right about Lavender though, that would be awesome
Inspector Brown was in the 2002 Clue game!? I never knew that. I'll have to go back and re-read the materials with that game.

The thing about Sherlock and Watson compared to the relatively obscure Ashe and Brown, is that they're "Sherlock" and "Watson" -- and SHERLOCK is currently a hit International show with its own Cluedo game. So if the idea they're looking to introduce new characters is coming from that, I think it's not a concern. Rusty was added by fan demand, I expect, and makes a ton of sense being a beloved playable character that was notably omitted from the 2000-era games when Azure was introduced. The same with Meadow-Brooke and Lavender. And I get why some fans would be into seeing Ashe and Brown, but I just don't see fan passions for them in the same way. The Patent names are a decent way to go for original characters tied to legacy, but I think the only unclaimed ones are Gold and Silver. I'd exclude Colonel Yellow, since there's already a Colonel, and Yellow isn't really a very good surname. But I think Marmalade has a lot more creativity than some of the executives at Hasbro that came up with some of those names which are part of Canon. God help us if we ever get Mr. De'ath.

As for Matlock and Fletcher -- I'd love to see Marmalade go that route. The problem there is that those are copyrighted characters that would have to be licensed from their IP owners, and that adds substantially to the cost, which is why those themed USA-opoly games are $40 instead of $20. Sherlock is PD and costs them nothing. I would expect to see other PD literary characters next. Maybe from Shakespeare, or Mark Twain, or other internationally recognized characters which are in the PD.

As far as nostalgia goes, I would love a 1970s-themed game using the the models and artwork from the 1972 game, re-imagined for their layout.

GarfieldBuilder
Snoop
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:11 am

Re: Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by GarfieldBuilder » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:26 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:45 pm
Sir Shamrock wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:06 pm
Murder by Death wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:15 am
My bigger problem is with including the non-playing characters in general. Ashe I was aware of from discussions on this board, but Inspector Brown exists only in the rarer expansion games as a non-playing character. Granted they both have a physical depictions, but I’ve never actually played those games, nor do I own them. I get the nostalgia factor for those who have, and do. At least Inspector Brown has the international factor working in his favor with the benefit of an expanded audience. Though I rather get the impression fans of the game would rather have Lady Lavender over Brown, or even Ashe. And since we’re talking colors, I’d say the introduction of two new greens and another brown suggests Lavender is not going to be a problem with Orchid and Rose — so I rescind my previous prediction that there would be no Lavender.

Frankly, if they add new characters, I’d rather see them introduce new original characters to fill out the demographic, as well as the color spectrum, rather than add existing white male non-playing characters. And yes they can change the race and gender of any existing characters, but that’s not really the same, which is why we have Orchid now.

Either way, watching Marmalade expand the Cluedo universe is perhaps even more interesting to follow than the actual games themselves...
To be fair, technology speaking Brown has been in more games than Ashe (FX, DVD, Mysteries, Express, Cluedo Party, and Clue 2002), but I can understand where you're coming from. I'm just saying that if they need to fill a quota for an new update and they need more characters in a pinch, then Ashe and Brown would work just fine. There are other characters to use, but not as well known as them. They now have Sherlock and Watson as a possible murderers so what stopping them from adding the non-playable people.

Now I'm not sure adding completely new original people is the way to go though. There wouldn't be any nostalgia for the new players to by them and there might be a similar reaction to the new characters from the Clue Comics from last year. If they wanted to fill out some demographics by adding new characters, then they dan use the original patented characters. Theres no description for them so they can do whatever they want, and the eagle eyed Clue fans would be real eager to get a part of it. But in the end it's their game, so they'll do whatever they need. Who knows, maybe they'll have Matlock and Jessica Fletcher as the next people.

I hope you're right about Lavender though, that would be awesome
Inspector Brown was in the 2002 Clue game!? I never knew that. I'll have to go back and re-read the materials with that game.

The thing about Sherlock and Watson compared to the relatively obscure Ashe and Brown, is that they're "Sherlock" and "Watson" -- and SHERLOCK is currently a hit International show with its own Cluedo game. So if the idea they're looking to introduce new characters is coming from that, I think it's not a concern. Rusty was added by fan demand, I expect, and makes a ton of sense being a beloved playable character that was notably omitted from the 2000-era games when Azure was introduced. The same with Meadow-Brooke and Lavender. And I get why some fans would be into seeing Ashe and Brown, but I just don't see fan passions for them in the same way. The Patent names are a decent way to go for original characters tied to legacy, but I think the only unclaimed ones are Gold and Silver. I'd exclude Colonel Yellow, since there's already a Colonel, and Yellow isn't really a very good surname. But I think Marmalade has a lot more creativity than some of the executives at Hasbro that came up with some of those names which are part of Canon. God help us if we ever get Mr. De'ath.

As for Matlock and Fletcher -- I'd love to see Marmalade go that route. The problem there is that those are copyrighted characters that would have to be licensed from their IP owners, and that adds substantially to the cost, which is why those themed USA-opoly games are $40 instead of $20. Sherlock is PD and costs them nothing. I would expect to see other PD literary characters next. Maybe from Shakespeare, or Mark Twain, or other internationally recognized characters which are in the PD.

As far as nostalgia goes, I would love a 1970s-themed game using the the models and artwork from the 1972 game, re-imagined for their layout.
I got an idea for what theme of Clue(do) will be made: Steampunk

Horseshoe
Hammer
Award
Sword
Pistol
Whip

Drawing Room — Study
Arcade — Hall
Crypt — Library
Library — Billiard Room
Veranda — Conservatory
Hall — Ball Room
Boudoir — Kitchen
Bathroom — Dining Room
Patio — Lounge
Cloakroom — Cellar

Empress Scarlet
Archduke Mustard
Grand Prince Green
Queen Peacock
Fürstin Peach
Grand Duke Plum
Baroness Rose
Gentleman Brunette
Archduchess White
Królewicz Grey
Princess Orchid
Edler Azure
Baronetess Lavender
Knight Rusty
Dame Meadow-Brook
Last edited by GarfieldBuilder on Wed May 01, 2019 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

GarfieldBuilder
Snoop
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:11 am

Re: Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by GarfieldBuilder » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:27 pm

That what what I think the next theme should be.

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by Murder by Death » Wed May 01, 2019 12:14 am

King Arthur works with much of that too. But we’ll get Arthur, Guinevere, Merlin, Lancelot and Mordred too. Excalibur as a murder weapon?

I’m not exactly sure what you had in mind ... it seems like the setup for World War I?

Jonathan Green
Slueth
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by Jonathan Green » Wed May 01, 2019 9:42 am

Murder by Death wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:45 pm
Sir Shamrock wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:06 pm
Murder by Death wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:15 am
My bigger problem is with including the non-playing characters in general. Ashe I was aware of from discussions on this board, but Inspector Brown exists only in the rarer expansion games as a non-playing character. Granted they both have a physical depictions, but I’ve never actually played those games, nor do I own them. I get the nostalgia factor for those who have, and do. At least Inspector Brown has the international factor working in his favor with the benefit of an expanded audience. Though I rather get the impression fans of the game would rather have Lady Lavender over Brown, or even Ashe. And since we’re talking colors, I’d say the introduction of two new greens and another brown suggests Lavender is not going to be a problem with Orchid and Rose — so I rescind my previous prediction that there would be no Lavender.

Frankly, if they add new characters, I’d rather see them introduce new original characters to fill out the demographic, as well as the color spectrum, rather than add existing white male non-playing characters. And yes they can change the race and gender of any existing characters, but that’s not really the same, which is why we have Orchid now.

Either way, watching Marmalade expand the Cluedo universe is perhaps even more interesting to follow than the actual games themselves...
To be fair, technology speaking Brown has been in more games than Ashe (FX, DVD, Mysteries, Express, Cluedo Party, and Clue 2002), but I can understand where you're coming from. I'm just saying that if they need to fill a quota for an new update and they need more characters in a pinch, then Ashe and Brown would work just fine. There are other characters to use, but not as well known as them. They now have Sherlock and Watson as a possible murderers so what stopping them from adding the non-playable people.

Now I'm not sure adding completely new original people is the way to go though. There wouldn't be any nostalgia for the new players to by them and there might be a similar reaction to the new characters from the Clue Comics from last year. If they wanted to fill out some demographics by adding new characters, then they dan use the original patented characters. Theres no description for them so they can do whatever they want, and the eagle eyed Clue fans would be real eager to get a part of it. But in the end it's their game, so they'll do whatever they need. Who knows, maybe they'll have Matlock and Jessica Fletcher as the next people.

I hope you're right about Lavender though, that would be awesome
Inspector Brown was in the 2002 Clue game!? I never knew that. I'll have to go back and re-read the materials with that game.

The thing about Sherlock and Watson compared to the relatively obscure Ashe and Brown, is that they're "Sherlock" and "Watson" -- and SHERLOCK is currently a hit International show with its own Cluedo game. So if the idea they're looking to introduce new characters is coming from that, I think it's not a concern. Rusty was added by fan demand, I expect, and makes a ton of sense being a beloved playable character that was notably omitted from the 2000-era games when Azure was introduced. The same with Meadow-Brooke and Lavender. And I get why some fans would be into seeing Ashe and Brown, but I just don't see fan passions for them in the same way. The Patent names are a decent way to go for original characters tied to legacy, but I think the only unclaimed ones are Gold and Silver. I'd exclude Colonel Yellow, since there's already a Colonel, and Yellow isn't really a very good surname. But I think Marmalade has a lot more creativity than some of the executives at Hasbro that came up with some of those names which are part of Canon. God help us if we ever get Mr. De'ath.

As for Matlock and Fletcher -- I'd love to see Marmalade go that route. The problem there is that those are copyrighted characters that would have to be licensed from their IP owners, and that adds substantially to the cost, which is why those themed USA-opoly games are $40 instead of $20. Sherlock is PD and costs them nothing. I would expect to see other PD literary characters next. Maybe from Shakespeare, or Mark Twain, or other internationally recognized characters which are in the PD.

As far as nostalgia goes, I would love a 1970s-themed game using the the models and artwork from the 1972 game, re-imagined for their layout.
Inspector Brown is mention in the Clue 2002 instructions, about where the newspaper part is.
https://www.fgbradleys.com/rules/Clue.pdf
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by Murder by Death » Wed May 01, 2019 11:30 am

Jonathan Green wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:42 am
Inspector Brown is mention in the Clue 2002 instructions, about where the newspaper part is.
https://www.fgbradleys.com/rules/Clue.pdf
Thanks for doing the research for me. No wonder I never associated Inspector Brown as a character. That’s a pretty insignificant inclusion. Then again, Mr. Boddy/Dr. Black gets little more than a mention — the difference being that he IS the victim inspiring all kinds of speculation about who he was, and what he did to deserve murder. I’m not sure all that many are going to want to probe into the investigators life, who isn’t even an participant in the game. Other than the DVD game, does Inspector Brown ever get more than a mention?

I understand why the game would be marketed with newspaper articles and a detective investigation, but it really makes no sense with the game’s premise. The whole point of the game is that the suspects themselves are solving the crime. The minute the investigators show up, the fun is over, and the game play technically ceases, as the investigation shifts to a single individual.

A single player game is ideal where the player takes on the roll of investigator. Since investigators don’t tend to compete with each other its a stretch to have multiple players become various investigators, not to mention that eliminates the ability for one of them to have committed the crime. I suppose I can imagine a game where the goal is for multiple members of an investigative team compete to solve the crime first and get a promotion to chief Inspector. But that really changes the game a lot.

There’s already been one crooked cop, Seargent Grey/Gray, so Inspector Brown would be another one if added to the suspect lineup. Not my first choice. Now a murderous butler I’d definitely be up for. Then again we already have one domestic servant suspect in the game. But then we also have redundant Peach and Scarlett, Plum and Orchid, Green and Brunette, Peacock and Meadow-Brooke, etc. So the more the merrier?

Another idea would be to have the investigator be a non-suspect player, working to solve the crime with the suspects. Perhaps the twist there is that if a suspect/player finds they are the killer, they can lure the detective to a room, and murder him to win the game, or if called to a room by the Inspector, turn the tables and solve the crime first. Actually that works for any game. When a player wishes to accuse someone they announce they intend to make an accusation, and the player who thinks they know they are the killer can then usurp the accusation by confessing first and thus potentially winning the game before the accuser can reveal (presumably by killing the accuser) — unless they are wrong.

Elrond
Gumshoe
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by Elrond » Wed May 01, 2019 8:37 pm

Inspector Brown was a pretty fundamental part of the game play for DVD, FX, and Mysteries.

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by Murder by Death » Thu May 02, 2019 11:44 am

Elrond wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:37 pm
Inspector Brown was a pretty fundamental part of the game play for DVD, FX, and Mysteries.
I was never interested in DVD or Mysteries, as they are limited to the cases included with the game. The fact there were never additional cases sold to augment the original suggests the games weren’t very successful, and their lack ultimately limit gameplay, thus limiting Browns exposure to large audiences. I think Mysteries is the only Clue game I don’t own any parts from as well — I’ve got pawns from DVD and FX.

But this little sidebar has given me reason to look more into Mysteries. I guess I didn’t realize Brown has his own house, which makes him a pretty prominent presence in the game, even if he only provides one clue. But it gives him equal weight with the other characters, and a prominent visible presence, like he has in the DVD, which I previously acknowledged.

But his role in FX doesn’t seem like a fundamental part of gameplay. He has no visual presence in the game, and only serves as a central location to which the characters must race with their solutions, not much different than the purpose the swimming pool served in DTS. Granted I haven’t played FX, and none of the reviews I have read make mention of Brown other than he shows up at some point. Does he say things like Ashe? Or does Ashe just update his location? If the latter, he’s not much different than Inspector Grey in Super Slueth, who at least has a physical presence in that game. If he speaks, then at least there’s some character presence.

It’s interesting, I’ve never had any desire to get any of these millennial spinoff games. They all seemed a little gimmicky to me as an adult. When I was a kid, I would have loved them though with their 3D and electronic components. They’re the only expansion games I’ve never tried to acquire, along with the Great Museum caper, and the recent Spy game. I’m now rethinking them based on these conversations as I hadn’t realized how important they are to other Clue fans and as canon installments.

Also, you mentioned Brown was involved in Cluedo Party (a missed opportunity for expansion by Hasbro in my estimation) ... is he a character portrayed by a party guest, or merely a referenced character providing information along the way?

Jonathan Green
Slueth
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu May 02, 2019 1:18 pm

I just logged in to Instagram and Marmalade just posted this not to long ago:
Finally, the Sherlock theme will be available for the Switch and Steam tomorrow. We also have another suprise for you, can you guess what it is?🕵️ Post your answers below!
Another surprise? What could that means? A teaser for the next theme? More character, like Meadow-Brook and Lavender?
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by Murder by Death » Thu May 02, 2019 4:14 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:18 pm
I just logged in to Instagram and Marmalade just posted this not to long ago:
Finally, the Sherlock theme will be available for the Switch and Steam tomorrow. We also have another suprise for you, can you guess what it is?🕵️ Post your answers below!
Another surprise? What could that means? A teaser for the next theme? More character, like Meadow-Brook and Lavender?
I see I have an iOS app update today which offers a "New companion mode". Now what could that be?

Maybe a way to play with another player on the same device? That would be huge. Or maybe it means a companion device? That would mean I could play it on an Apple TV using individual devices to manage the private game play for each player. That would be awesomely huge!

Elrond
Gumshoe
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by Elrond » Thu May 02, 2019 11:04 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:44 am
Elrond wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:37 pm
Inspector Brown was a pretty fundamental part of the game play for DVD, FX, and Mysteries.
I was never interested in DVD or Mysteries, as they are limited to the cases included with the game. The fact there were never additional cases sold to augment the original suggests the games weren’t very successful, and their lack ultimately limit gameplay, thus limiting Browns exposure to large audiences. I think Mysteries is the only Clue game I don’t own any parts from as well — I’ve got pawns from DVD and FX.

But this little sidebar has given me reason to look more into Mysteries. I guess I didn’t realize Brown has his own house, which makes him a pretty prominent presence in the game, even if he only provides one clue. But it gives him equal weight with the other characters, and a prominent visible presence, like he has in the DVD, which I previously acknowledged.

But his role in FX doesn’t seem like a fundamental part of gameplay. He has no visual presence in the game, and only serves as a central location to which the characters must race with their solutions, not much different than the purpose the swimming pool served in DTS. Granted I haven’t played FX, and none of the reviews I have read make mention of Brown other than he shows up at some point. Does he say things like Ashe? Or does Ashe just update his location? If the latter, he’s not much different than Inspector Grey in Super Slueth, who at least has a physical presence in that game. If he speaks, then at least there’s some character presence.

It’s interesting, I’ve never had any desire to get any of these millennial spinoff games. They all seemed a little gimmicky to me as an adult. When I was a kid, I would have loved them though with their 3D and electronic components. They’re the only expansion games I’ve never tried to acquire, along with the Great Museum caper, and the recent Spy game. I’m now rethinking them based on these conversations as I hadn’t realized how important they are to other Clue fans and as canon installments.

Also, you mentioned Brown was involved in Cluedo Party (a missed opportunity for expansion by Hasbro in my estimation) ... is he a character portrayed by a party guest, or merely a referenced character providing information along the way?
DVD is by far my favourite spin off!!! I love the stories We’ve recently found 2 extra cases and realised other cases can be developed! More to come...

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by Murder by Death » Fri May 03, 2019 2:14 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:14 pm
Jonathan Green wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:18 pm
I just logged in to Instagram and Marmalade just posted this not to long ago:
Finally, the Sherlock theme will be available for the Switch and Steam tomorrow. We also have another suprise for you, can you guess what it is?🕵️ Post your answers below!
Another surprise? What could that means? A teaser for the next theme? More character, like Meadow-Brook and Lavender?
I see I have an iOS app update today which offers a "New companion mode". Now what could that be?

Maybe a way to play with another player on the same device? That would be huge. Or maybe it means a companion device? That would mean I could play it on an Apple TV using individual devices to manage the private game play for each player. That would be awesomely huge!
Yup. Local multi-player game. Unfortunately it's only for Switch and Steam.
The long-awaited local multiplayer mode for Cluedo is out now on Nintendo Switch and Steam! Download the free companion for Cluedo app to keep your Cluesheet hidden!
Apparently there's a companion app for use with Switch and Steam apps called Cluesheet Companion under iOS.

The good news is, this is something that Marmalade will be able to port over to any other version -- like an Apple TV version which is what I need. And the chances of that are more likely now, than even a Mac version. I really hope this is in the works.

Sadly, this does nothing for the family trips when using a tablet or even a phone. I guess the solution there is still an internet connection and starting a game with friends on individual devices -- since individual devices are still required. But this isn't always a good solution for cross-country trips, especially in rural areas, national parks, airplanes, and other remote locations without internet service. Hopefully they'll introduce this on Phones and tablets. If nothing else, they can be ChromeCast or AirPlay-ed to newer TVs in hotels, homes, and even backseat car entertainment systems. Of course that would be a lot of phones needed to play a game -- one more than the participants is someone doesn't have a tablet.

It’s odd. Why did they update the iOS apps to support Companion mode, if they can’t be used with Companion mode?

The Late Dr Black
Suspect
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:31 am

Re: Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by The Late Dr Black » Sun May 05, 2019 4:21 pm

Could it be they are preparing for the future ?

I'd really like to see a Master/Super version of Cluedo next.

Just think 10 suspects!

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by Murder by Death » Sun May 05, 2019 8:29 pm

The Late Dr Black wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:21 pm
Could it be they are preparing for the future ?

I'd really like to see a Master/Super version of Cluedo next.

Just think 10 suspects!
I hope so. But I read somewhere that the Cluesheet Companion requires the Mobile App. It could just mean that the app was updated to share resources.

I’d like to see a MD/SC expansion version too. But in the original Marmalade thread which was deleted, @alwayspeacock speculated that an expansion version would be problematic from an online game perspective. I think this may have been confirmed on a forum he was on as well. In other words, it would be harder to find an adequate pool of those players who want to play a 10 suspect game, vs. those who want to play a 6 suspect game. There’s a lot more opportunity to link players up, if they are all playing the same format. That’s why we think the weapons from different themes can’t be selected the way suspects can be since they all have to line up across all themes.

The Late Dr Black
Suspect
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:31 am

Re: Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by The Late Dr Black » Thu May 09, 2019 12:42 pm

Well let's hope that maybe there might be a way to include more suspects in the future. Who knows? (Please think about itMarmalade Studios) 😊

On the subject of the latest suspects, I think this is my order of faves

1 Sherlock: he looks good in both his Attack pose and as the character I imagined. He has the meanness in the yes that really works. Best of the bunch. He also looks right in the accusation pose too. Love the bistre/sepia colour he has.

2 Watson: again I think they got this one right. In both poses. Very much the character I imagined. Good idea to make him olive green.

3 Rusty: oddly one of the characters who feeels very much at home in this setting. Would have preferred him to look angrier in his Attack pose but that's ok. Don't quite see him as a crime boss though.

4 Scarlett: slightly ahead of her time I believe as suffragette movement started just after "Holmes" had his last. I like the character. She looks menacing with a weapon.

5 Peacock: love the monkey idea and she feels right for the time period. Her Arrested Pose is great.

6 Constable Plum: he looks great, but why is a constable dressed in purple ? I know it's artistic licence but this feels "off".i think Azure as a blue clad policeman would've been better. I love the Attack Pose though, it's one of the best ones.

7 Irene Adler: interesting to make her a black character, not sure if this is in keeping with the novels but a well executed idea. However I cannot quite get why she has fallen down in her Attack pose ?. Maybe it was all too much of a strain for her!

8 Nurse Peach: I love her overall look, very cute but deadly, but her Attack pose is very daft. Why is she standing like that?

9 Professor Moriarty: initially my favourite! I loved his Jack the Ripperesque styled look, sadly it loses something in the Attack Pose, looks like a different man in his Attack pose. Though I love that we have a black themed colour at last.

Overall one of the best line-ups we've had. Thanks Marmalade Studios & Peter Dobbin for great artwork.

Post Reply