Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:47 pm

DgNoah1981 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:27 pm
I think that Sherlock is more brown than yellow and it’s time for Mustard to take a break for a round hehe
Mustard AND Green — they’re the only ones with Scarlett who’ve been in every edition. But Mustard and Scarlett seem to be the face of the game marketing, and Scarlett’s face is on the app. So she’s probably going to be in every release, and maybe Mustard. I wonder why Green keeps making the cut?

MrGreenJeans
Slueth

Post by MrGreenJeans » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:23 am

Murder by Death wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:47 pm
DgNoah1981 wrote:
I think that Sherlock is more brown than yellow and it’s time for Mustard to take a break for a round hehe
Mustard AND Green — they’re the only ones with Scarlett who’ve been in every edition. But Mustard and Scarlett seem to be the face of the game marketing, and Scarlett’s face is on the app. So she’s probably going to be in every release, and maybe Mustard. I wonder why Green keeps making the cut?
My guess would be because there’s been no suitable alternative to his color, like there is for Orchid/Plum, Peacock/Azure or even White/Grey. Now that Meadow-brook is somewhat introduced, I’d imagine we may see Green take a break in the next set.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:19 pm

MrGreenJeans wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:23 am
Murder by Death wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:47 pm
DgNoah1981 wrote:
My guess would be because there’s been no suitable alternative to his color, like there is for Orchid/Plum, Peacock/Azure or even White/Grey. Now that Meadow-brook is somewhat introduced, I’d imagine we may see Green take a break in the next set.
That's a possibility. However, there have been themes without Peacock or Azure, and White or Grey. But you're right, there's only one Red and Yellow, and until now only one Green. Blue could be lumped into the purple family as well.

But you bring up an interesting thought for me about the character color groupings:

Purple -- Plum, Orchid (Lavender)
Blue -- Peacock, Azure
Green -- Green, Meadow-Brooke
White -- White, Grey/Gray
Yellow -- Mustard
Orange -- Peach, Rusty, Brunette (Brown)
Red -- Scarlett, Rose

So Rose is an interesting anomaly, because I don't know where she fits in the color spectrum except as a lighter shade of red, technically giving Scarlett a companion-colored character. Whereas Orchid and Lavender exist at the intersection of red and violet. So technically, Mustard is the only character without a variant-colored character.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:17 pm

Wouldn't Peach be the bridge between Yellow and Orange (mustard and rusty)

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:39 pm

I actually always considered Brunette the darker version of Mustard.... I think Brown in classified on the yellow spectrum.

Sir Shamrock
Gumshoe

Post by Sir Shamrock » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:22 pm

Brown is a mixture of red, yellow, and blue, so I usually place it before red

Sir Shamrock
Gumshoe

Post by Sir Shamrock » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:40 pm

Well the update is now out, and it looks like we were wrong on all accounts.

The Sherlock characters do not belong to any color, but they are now their own sections. Moriarty is not Gray, Adler is not Meadow-Brook, Sherlock is not yellow and so on. However, those who were based off their Clue counterparts are part of the color

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:12 pm

Sir Shamrock wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:40 pm
Well the update is now out, and it looks like we were wrong on all accounts.

The Sherlock characters do not belong to any color, but they are now their own sections. Moriarty is not Gray, Adler is not Meadow-Brook, Sherlock is not yellow and so on. However, those who were based off their Clue counterparts are part of the color
Actually this is GREAT NEWS!

My guess is that they are opening it up to potentially "licensed" characters (like the USAopoly themed games), but at a minimum characters from at least PD properties, or history. This opens up all new opportunities. I can't wait to see how this develops.

That said, even though Irene Adler is her own category, given that she's a lighter shade of green than Watson, I'm betting we'll see a Meadow-brooke character soon enough.

I haven't seen the update yet, but they have to have color identities for their respective gameboard pieces.

EDIT: OK just updated it. So the colors are different. Only Moriarity and Grey appear to be the same, though I suspect there’s a subtle difference I can’t discern. They’ve introduced an olive shade of green for Watson, a lighter shade of green for Adler (if they do introduce Meadow-Brooke it’s going to get crowded in the green colorspace), and a different shade of brown for Sherlock — by comparison Brunette’s token is almost orange. — I just played a game with Rusty, Peach, Brunette, Holmes, Grey and Moriarity. Rusty, Peach, and Brunette get pretty confusing pretty fast. Moriarity is so dark gray he’s hard to see on most of the board, but no confusion. The greens are all pretty different too — they seem to have made Rev. Mr. Green almost fluorescent.

I’ll be curious how they expand these characters. This suggests we’ll see Sherlock, Watson, Moriarity and Adler in new themes — odd if so.

And on that subject, they really need to do something about the way characters are selected. If I do a three person game, I can only select three characters, and the other three are assigned. The only way to control it is have a 6 person game, which is not usually acceptable. And frankly, if I' have 9 characters available to me in a theme, I'd like to be able to play with all 9. And when are we getting additional weapons?

So the complete list of rooms:

221 B Baker Street
Hyde Park
Dark Alley
Pub Dock
Printing Press
Diogenese Club
Department Store
Museum

The layout is very nice, and beautiful artwork.

All things considered, a very nice edition.