Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:47 pm

DgNoah1981 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:27 pm
I think that Sherlock is more brown than yellow and it’s time for Mustard to take a break for a round hehe
Mustard AND Green — they’re the only ones with Scarlett who’ve been in every edition. But Mustard and Scarlett seem to be the face of the game marketing, and Scarlett’s face is on the app. So she’s probably going to be in every release, and maybe Mustard. I wonder why Green keeps making the cut?

MrGreenJeans
Slueth

Post by MrGreenJeans » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:23 am

Murder by Death wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:47 pm
DgNoah1981 wrote:
I think that Sherlock is more brown than yellow and it’s time for Mustard to take a break for a round hehe
Mustard AND Green — they’re the only ones with Scarlett who’ve been in every edition. But Mustard and Scarlett seem to be the face of the game marketing, and Scarlett’s face is on the app. So she’s probably going to be in every release, and maybe Mustard. I wonder why Green keeps making the cut?
My guess would be because there’s been no suitable alternative to his color, like there is for Orchid/Plum, Peacock/Azure or even White/Grey. Now that Meadow-brook is somewhat introduced, I’d imagine we may see Green take a break in the next set.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:19 pm

MrGreenJeans wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:23 am
Murder by Death wrote:
DgNoah1981 wrote:
My guess would be because there’s been no suitable alternative to his color, like there is for Orchid/Plum, Peacock/Azure or even White/Grey. Now that Meadow-brook is somewhat introduced, I’d imagine we may see Green take a break in the next set.
That's a possibility. However, there have been themes without Peacock or Azure, and White or Grey. But you're right, there's only one Red and Yellow, and until now only one Green. Blue could be lumped into the purple family as well.

But you bring up an interesting thought for me about the character color groupings:

Purple -- Plum, Orchid (Lavender)
Blue -- Peacock, Azure
Green -- Green, Meadow-Brooke
White -- White, Grey/Gray
Yellow -- Mustard
Orange -- Peach, Rusty, Brunette (Brown)
Red -- Scarlett, Rose

So Rose is an interesting anomaly, because I don't know where she fits in the color spectrum except as a lighter shade of red, technically giving Scarlett a companion-colored character. Whereas Orchid and Lavender exist at the intersection of red and violet. So technically, Mustard is the only character without a variant-colored character.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:17 pm

Wouldn't Peach be the bridge between Yellow and Orange (mustard and rusty)

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:39 pm

I actually always considered Brunette the darker version of Mustard.... I think Brown in classified on the yellow spectrum.

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:22 pm

Brown is a mixture of red, yellow, and blue, so I usually place it before red

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:40 pm

Well the update is now out, and it looks like we were wrong on all accounts.

The Sherlock characters do not belong to any color, but they are now their own sections. Moriarty is not Gray, Adler is not Meadow-Brook, Sherlock is not yellow and so on. However, those who were based off their Clue counterparts are part of the color

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:12 pm

Sir Shamrock wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:40 pm
Well the update is now out, and it looks like we were wrong on all accounts.

The Sherlock characters do not belong to any color, but they are now their own sections. Moriarty is not Gray, Adler is not Meadow-Brook, Sherlock is not yellow and so on. However, those who were based off their Clue counterparts are part of the color
Actually this is GREAT NEWS!

My guess is that they are opening it up to potentially "licensed" characters (like the USAopoly themed games), but at a minimum characters from at least PD properties, or history. This opens up all new opportunities. I can't wait to see how this develops.

That said, even though Irene Adler is her own category, given that she's a lighter shade of green than Watson, I'm betting we'll see a Meadow-brooke character soon enough.

I haven't seen the update yet, but they have to have color identities for their respective gameboard pieces.

EDIT: OK just updated it. So the colors are different. Only Moriarity and Grey appear to be the same, though I suspect there’s a subtle difference I can’t discern. They’ve introduced an olive shade of green for Watson, a lighter shade of green for Adler (if they do introduce Meadow-Brooke it’s going to get crowded in the green colorspace), and a different shade of brown for Sherlock — by comparison Brunette’s token is almost orange. — I just played a game with Rusty, Peach, Brunette, Holmes, Grey and Moriarity. Rusty, Peach, and Brunette get pretty confusing pretty fast. Moriarity is so dark gray he’s hard to see on most of the board, but no confusion. The greens are all pretty different too — they seem to have made Rev. Mr. Green almost fluorescent.

I’ll be curious how they expand these characters. This suggests we’ll see Sherlock, Watson, Moriarity and Adler in new themes — odd if so.

And on that subject, they really need to do something about the way characters are selected. If I do a three person game, I can only select three characters, and the other three are assigned. The only way to control it is have a 6 person game, which is not usually acceptable. And frankly, if I' have 9 characters available to me in a theme, I'd like to be able to play with all 9. And when are we getting additional weapons?

So the complete list of rooms:

221 B Baker Street
Hyde Park
Dark Alley
Pub Dock
Printing Press
Diogenese Club
Department Store
Museum

The layout is very nice, and beautiful artwork.

All things considered, a very nice edition.

GarfieldBuilder
Snoop

Post by GarfieldBuilder » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:43 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:19 pm
MrGreenJeans wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:23 am
Murder by Death wrote:

That's a possibility. However, there have been themes without Peacock or Azure, and White or Grey. But you're right, there's only one Red and Yellow, and until now only one Green. Blue could be lumped into the purple family as well.

But you bring up an interesting thought for me about the character color groupings:

Purple -- Plum, Orchid (Lavender)
Blue -- Peacock, Azure
Green -- Green, Meadow-Brooke
White -- White, Grey/Gray
Yellow -- Mustard
Orange -- Peach, Rusty, Brunette (Brown)
Red -- Scarlett, Rose

So Rose is an interesting anomaly, because I don't know where she fits in the color spectrum except as a lighter shade of red, technically giving Scarlett a companion-colored character. Whereas Orchid and Lavender exist at the intersection of red and violet. So technically, Mustard is the only character without a variant-colored character.
Okay, which room is which!?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:36 am

GarfieldBuilder wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:43 pm
Okay, which room is which!?
So the complete list of rooms:

221 B Baker Street — Study
Hyde Park — Hall
Dark Alley — Library
Pub — Billiard Room
Dock — Conservatory
Printing Press — Ball Room
Diogenese Club — Kitchen
Department Store — Dining Room
Museum — Lounge
Underground — Cellar

GarfieldBuilder
Snoop

Post by GarfieldBuilder » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:00 pm

Can you tell me the weapons of the Sherlock Theme?

The Late Dr Black
Suspect

Post by The Late Dr Black » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:34 am

The weapons are :
Sword
Razor
Truncheon
Revolver
Cricket Bat
Blow-pipe

Curiously this is one of the editions where all the weapons make sense. Previously there has been some confusion over how a weapon I.e. Glass or Horseshoe might work effectively.

I really like this edition.

I love the additional characters despite being non-cluedo. However they fit with the preferred timeline & I imagine them as representations of other suspects. I.e.
Sherlock Holmes - Mr Gold
Irene Adler - Mrs Meadow-Brook
Dr Watson - Rev/Dr Olive
Professor Moriarty - Dr Black / Sir Hugh Black.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:54 pm

The Late Dr Black wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:34 am
The weapons are :
Sword
Razor
Truncheon
Revolver
Cricket Bat
Blow-pipe

Curiously this is one of the editions where all the weapons make sense. Previously there has been some confusion over how a weapon I.e. Glass or Horseshoe might work effectively.

I really like this edition.

I love the additional characters despite being non-cluedo. However they fit with the preferred timeline & I imagine them as representations of other suspects. I.e.
Sherlock Holmes - Mr Gold
Irene Adler - Mrs Meadow-Brook
Dr Watson - Rev/Dr Olive
Professor Moriarty - Dr Black / Sir Hugh Black.
While the weapons are all clearly lethal, they way they are represented is still a problem. Rather than having alternate artwork for the accusation for some weapons, everything is depicted as being a bludgeoning instrument. So the blow-pipe/poisoned dart is depicted as a stabbing instrument, which makes no sense.

As for the additional characters, Dr Black is already part of the Cluedo edition of this game. Professor Moriarty then has to be one of the other Gray/Greys, but that's OK because there are plenty of them. Mr. Slate-Grey is a good choice, as is Lord Grey/Gray, Inspector Grey, and Earl Grey. It's interesting that they didn't make him black and seem to be reserving that color for Boddy/Black.

The Late Dr Black
Suspect

Post by The Late Dr Black » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:46 pm

I agree that the depictions of how weapons might be used, tends toward silly.

I just imagine that this is a sort of 'triumphant' pose in some cases. I find Nurse Peach's most disturbing whereas Sherlock certainly looks most confident. It's also true that certain weapons work better for certain characters than others.

The classic Mrs Peacock with her fan in one hand and Revolver in the other feels 'right'. Sadly the classic Reverend Green looks like he's wedged the Spanner right up his nose in some locations, still it remains hilarious and I never tire of suggesting it.

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:10 pm

You guys are so lucky, whenever I try the Sherlock map it crashes for some reason. Thankfully all is not lost because the new characters work with the other areas. Who knew Sherlock on a train would be so much fun. All on all this was a great edition to the app

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:15 pm

Hopefully one day we could have a FX theme where it's a proper introduction to new suspects (Meadow-Brook, another Rusty and Peach, perhaps branching out to Ashe and Brown). Plus all the different weapons and rooms would be all taken care of. Probably won't happen but it's wishful thinking

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:14 pm

Sir Shamrock wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:15 pm
Hopefully one day we could have a FX theme where it's a proper introduction to new suspects (Meadow-Brook, another Rusty and Peach, perhaps branching out to Ashe and Brown). Plus all the different weapons and rooms would be all taken care of. Probably won't happen but it's wishful thinking
I think there's a good chance you'll get an FX cast. But I don't really follow Ashe and Brown. Ashe was just the narrator in FX? And by Brown do you mean Captain Brown, or Passport's Mr. Brown? Either way, the'yre Brown characters that only appeared once, and only in rarer Cluedo games. They sort of have to drawn the line somewhere. If we got Ashe, we'd need Didit, and Hogarth. And then we'd need Inspector Grey, and the Black Dog. While I'd love to see each and every character from the Clue/do universe, I think sticking with the international characters makes the most sense, and certainly not creating playing characters where there were none originally. Brunette satisfies my appetite for Brown, as does Sgt. Grey/Gray. That said, Sherlock is a different shade of Brown, so that leaves the door open. As does Moriarity. Of course that could get pretty confusing pretty fast, with multiple Grey/Grays in a game, as well as multiple Browns. And I just realized if Adler is her own character, Meadow-Brooke can't just usurp her color -- she'll need a whole different shade further complicating the green palette. Can't wait to see how they juggle that.

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:36 am

Murder by Death wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:14 pm
Sir Shamrock wrote:
I think there's a good chance you'll get an FX cast. But I don't really follow Ashe and Brown. Ashe was just the narrator in FX? And by Brown do you mean Captain Brown, or Passport's Mr. Brown? Either way, the'yre Brown characters that only appeared once, and only in rarer Cluedo games. They sort of have to drawn the line somewhere. If we got Ashe, we'd need Didit, and Hogarth. And then we'd need Inspector Grey, and the Black Dog. While I'd love to see each and every character from the Clue/do universe, I think sticking with the international characters makes the most sense, and certainly not creating playing characters where there were none originally. Brunette satisfies my appetite for Brown, as does Sgt. Grey/Gray. That said, Sherlock is a different shade of Brown, so that leaves the door open. As does Moriarity. Of course that could get pretty confusing pretty fast, with multiple Grey/Grays in a game, as well as multiple Browns. And I just realized if Adler is her own character, Meadow-Brooke can't just usurp her color -- she'll need a whole different shade further complicating the green palette. Can't wait to see how they juggle that.
I ment Inspector Brown, but they could just use Ashe and Brown if they're in a hurry to find more characters. If they just want to use the actual suspects from the games and not the innocent characters that's perfectly fine. And if need be, theres no rule that says the new colors has to remain just for the Sherlock cast. They can just as easily stick Meadow-Brook with Adler, Ashe with Moriarty, Brown with Sherlock, and so on to however they see fit. That way they're wont be a character/color overload

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:15 am

Sir Shamrock wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:36 am
Murder by Death wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:14 pm
Sir Shamrock wrote:
I ment Inspector Brown, but they could just use Ashe and Brown if they're in a hurry to find more characters. If they just want to use the actual suspects from the games and not the innocent characters that's perfectly fine. And if need be, theres no rule that says the new colors has to remain just for the Sherlock cast. They can just as easily stick Meadow-Brook with Adler, Ashe with Moriarty, Brown with Sherlock, and so on to however they see fit. That way they're wont be a character/color overload
Well let’s see what they do with Sherlock, et al. The way they’ve set it up it’s as if they’re going to add more Sherlocks and Watsons with different themes. Throwing Inspector Brown into the Sherlock Suspect category would certainly solve the color problem, but then Brown and Sherlock couldn’t be played together in the same game. And adding Brown as a different character requires a different color to distinguish the pawn on the board, which is not an insurmountable problem — certainly Cluedo can have enough characters to span all the colors of the spectrum, though one wonders how many is too many for marketing and merchandising purposes.

My bigger problem is with including the non-playing characters in general. Ashe I was aware of from discussions on this board, but Inspector Brown exists only in the rarer expansion games as a non-playing character. Granted they both have a physical depictions, but I’ve never actually played those games, nor do I own them. I get the nostalgia factor for those who have, and do. At least Inspector Brown has the international factor working in his favor with the benefit of an expanded audience. Though I rather get the impression fans of the game would rather have Lady Lavender over Brown, or even Ashe. And since we’re talking colors, I’d say the introduction of two new greens and another brown suggests Lavender is not going to be a problem with Orchid and Rose — so I rescind my previous prediction that there would be no Lavender.

Frankly, if they add new characters, I’d rather see them introduce new original characters to fill out the demographic, as well as the color spectrum, rather than add existing white male non-playing characters. And yes they can change the race and gender of any existing characters, but that’s not really the same, which is why we have Orchid now.

Either way, watching Marmalade expand the Cluedo universe is perhaps even more interesting to follow than the actual games themselves...

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:06 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:15 am
My bigger problem is with including the non-playing characters in general. Ashe I was aware of from discussions on this board, but Inspector Brown exists only in the rarer expansion games as a non-playing character. Granted they both have a physical depictions, but I’ve never actually played those games, nor do I own them. I get the nostalgia factor for those who have, and do. At least Inspector Brown has the international factor working in his favor with the benefit of an expanded audience. Though I rather get the impression fans of the game would rather have Lady Lavender over Brown, or even Ashe. And since we’re talking colors, I’d say the introduction of two new greens and another brown suggests Lavender is not going to be a problem with Orchid and Rose — so I rescind my previous prediction that there would be no Lavender.

Frankly, if they add new characters, I’d rather see them introduce new original characters to fill out the demographic, as well as the color spectrum, rather than add existing white male non-playing characters. And yes they can change the race and gender of any existing characters, but that’s not really the same, which is why we have Orchid now.

Either way, watching Marmalade expand the Cluedo universe is perhaps even more interesting to follow than the actual games themselves...
To be fair, technology speaking Brown has been in more games than Ashe (FX, DVD, Mysteries, Express, Cluedo Party, and Clue 2002), but I can understand where you're coming from. I'm just saying that if they need to fill a quota for an new update and they need more characters in a pinch, then Ashe and Brown would work just fine. There are other characters to use, but not as well known as them. They now have Sherlock and Watson as a possible murderers so what stopping them from adding the non-playable people.

Now I'm not sure adding completely new original people is the way to go though. There wouldn't be any nostalgia for the new players to by them and there might be a similar reaction to the new characters from the Clue Comics from last year. If they wanted to fill out some demographics by adding new characters, then they dan use the original patented characters. Theres no description for them so they can do whatever they want, and the eagle eyed Clue fans would be real eager to get a part of it. But in the end it's their game, so they'll do whatever they need. Who knows, maybe they'll have Matlock and Jessica Fletcher as the next people.

I hope you're right about Lavender though, that would be awesome