CluedoSFX

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Elrond
Gumshoe

CluedoSFX

Post by Elrond » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:56 am

Anyone have the UK, Spanish, or German edition of this? I’ve recently found out the boards are different and would like to try some composite work!

Jonathan Green
Slueth

Re: CluedoSFX

Post by Jonathan Green » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:30 am

Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:28 pm

That’s the one! I’m needing some close up high quality photos of each of the locations!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:08 pm

Now why should it be so different? That's odd ...

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:55 pm

The board on the CluedoSFX is wide while the board for ClueFX is longer. So in CluedoSFX, the Swimming Pool, Gatehouse, Boat House, and Tennis Court have more picture to them at the top and bottom but less on the sides; on the Garage and Stables, they are a little taller but not narrower. The gazebo and garden are smaller with part of the pictures covered with the pawn starting positions in the CluedoSFX compared to the ClueFX board.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:14 am

Thanks. Still odd. Hasbro was producing this game worldwide by this time, why would it be completely redesigned for another market? Does it improve gameplay in any way?

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:05 pm

I suspect it fixed the problem in the US version of having the board creases between the game spots and the computer. A lot of American versions, including my own, have broken and now several game spots are inaccessible because, I assume, the internal wires have broken from the folding and unfolding.

Jonathan Green
Slueth

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:50 am

So my dad just ordered Clue FX on Amazon. Should be here by April 4th or April 5th
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:09 am

Woohoo! Nice!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:06 am

Elrond wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:05 pm
I suspect it fixed the problem in the US version of having the board creases between the game spots and the computer. A lot of American versions, including my own, have broken and now several game spots are inaccessible because, I assume, the internal wires have broken from the folding and unfolding.
Oh I see, the Cluedo edition has “wings” which fold over the center of the board.

Interesting, given this edition was released less than a year after the US edition. This problem must have manifested itself rather quickly for Hasbro to make such an elaborate change so quickly.

I wonder if they test this kind of thing, like car manufacturers who test opening and closing car doors by robots thousands of times to emulate the life of the part? My guess is not, but maybe customers started complaining quickly following a Christmas of repeated folding and unfolding and failed boards. But if that’s so, there must not have been a second printing of FX, or they would have surely changed to the SFX format to solve such a problem.

I don’t have an FX edition, but thanks to this post I know which one to get! Do the wires run under the playing surface or the back of the board? A repair on the playing surface wouldn’t be very attractive.

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:43 am

I actually don’t have any idea where the wires are... they must actually be inside the board.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:09 am

Elrond wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:43 am
I actually don’t have any idea where the wires are... they must actually be inside the board.
They’re printed in the ink!

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/2004/0329 ... 06afeb53fb

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:01 am

Wooooah. Great find!! That explains it. The colour are basically gone at the creases on my copy.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:14 am

Elrond wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:01 am
Wooooah. Great find!! That explains it. The colour are basically gone at the creases on my copy.
Theoretically, you could fix this by using some conductive paint to bridge the crease.those metallic ink pens might even do the trick, and offer greater control in applying it.

I also read another article on boardgamegeek that some of these issues are caused by the contacts not being properly made at the computer. I wonder if you could even bridge the crease with copper wire to test whether the issue was the crease or the computer?

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:55 am

Well I know nothing about electronics... but do you supposed I could even just put my finger over the crease? Doesn't that conduct electricity?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:21 pm

Elrond wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:55 am
Well I know nothing about electronics... but do you supposed I could even just put my finger over the crease? Doesn't that conduct electricity?
It depends on how the traces are arranged. If there's two ink traces close together then you may short circuit them and they won't work. I don't know enough about electricity to know if your finger will offer too much resistance for the current to flow through with something like conductive ink at such a low current. But theoretically yes ... give it a try and report back.

I'm gonna have to pick up one of these now so I can analyze it ...