Homemade Spinoffs

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Elrond
Gumshoe

Homemade Spinoffs

Post by Elrond » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:23 pm

Clue/do has had several spin-offs over the years: of course ClueFX, Clue DVD, Clue VCR, and Museum Caper, etc.

But there are other games that would be super-easy to adjust to turn into Clue Spinoffs. This thread is for those games!

I'll start us off:

1) Kill Doctor Lucky - I haven't played this game, but it seems like it would be super easy to adjust it to a Clue theme; replace the rooms with Tudor Mansion Rooms/Locations, the characters with our beloved Suspects, and re-work some of the cards...

2) Mystery Mansion Electronic - This is a game from the mid 90s in which a millionaire has left his money somewhere in the house. I think this would be a fabulous follow-up to Clue/do with a few adjustments!

BBP
Junior Detective

Re: Homemade Spinoffs

Post by BBP » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:59 pm

Let's round up all the suspects and make a Cluedo 13 Dead End Drive!

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:43 pm

Taking the FX suspect cards makes a fun party game of Clue Mafia

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat May 04, 2019 4:51 pm

Elrond wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:23 pm
Clue/do has had several spin-offs over the years: of course ClueFX, Clue DVD, Clue VCR, and Museum Caper, etc.

But there are other games that would be super-easy to adjust to turn into Clue Spinoffs. This thread is for those games!

I'll start us off:

1) Kill Doctor Lucky - I haven't played this game, but it seems like it would be super easy to adjust it to a Clue theme; replace the rooms with Tudor Mansion Rooms/Locations, the characters with our beloved Suspects, and re-work some of the cards...

2) Mystery Mansion Electronic - This is a game from the mid 90s in which a millionaire has left his money somewhere in the house. I think this would be a fabulous follow-up to Clue/do with a few adjustments!
Electronic Mystery Mansion would make a perfect board for Clue as is. There's no movement spaces, but one could use any of the various no-dice rules for movement through the rooms with Clue equipment. It would probably work with the DVD game perfectly.

Of course an interesting variation would be using the electronic version as is, with the premise that the players are the original suspects -- they've found Mr. Boddy dead, but instead of worrying about who killed him (they all know the others wanted him dead), they proceed to search for his hidden fortune before the police arrive (Inspector Brown if you prefer ;-). Of course this takes the same approach as simply branding a completely different game like Mysteries and Great Museum Caper as Clue by just throwing in Clue characters, but at least they're in the same setting, just with a different premise.

I wonder if the games could be combined so that players not only solve the murder of Mr. Boddy the standard way between turns, but also find his hidden fortune as directed by electronic turn? That might be a fun expansion rather than just slap Clue characters into a completely new game.

What's interesting is that this game pre-dates Clue FX by a decade and looks and plays a lot like FX.

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Sun May 05, 2019 7:29 am

I also found that, although I’ve never played it!! I thought it would be great following the same premise as Clue VHS: guests looking for the Will

There are a couple of pieces of furniture that make me unhappy with it being a sequel to Clue, though. I hate that it has a juke box, arcade game, reading lamp, and a couple others. They’re too out of place for the 1920s to make a proper fit. Sadly.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun May 05, 2019 8:08 pm

Elrond wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:29 am
I also found that, although I’ve never played it!! I thought it would be great following the same premise as Clue VHS: guests looking for the Will

There are a couple of pieces of furniture that make me unhappy with it being a sequel to Clue, though. I hate that it has a juke box, arcade game, reading lamp, and a couple others. They’re too out of place for the 1920s to make a proper fit. Sadly.
I see you’re a vote for 1920s. I’m more of a 1940s kind of guy, so none of that is a problem for me.

http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/vi ... php?t=5356

I haven’t played the VHS game either. Guess I didn’t realize they weren’t trying to solve a murder. Ha!