Clue as a Drinking Game?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Clue as a Drinking Game?

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:46 pm

Has anybody here played Clue as a drinking game?

I found this online and it got me thinking:
Boozy alternative: "In the Liquor Cabinet with the Shot Glass..."
Ideal booze: As listed
Best played with: People who can mix their booze without puking

Players who guess too often can take the fun out of Clue. These go-getters pop in and out of the same room, venturing guess after guess, even though they know **** well that the crime was committed on the other side of Mr. Body's mansion. If you had to pay a price admission, players would be a bit more selective in their accusations. In this version of Clue, you have to drink upon entering certain rooms. Some rooms force you to drink beer, others require shots, and others demand you consume wine. Be careful where and how often you make your suggestions, or you'll end up doing your best Mr. Body impression by the end of the night.

Drink:

Wine when your piece enters the Kitchen or the Dining Room
Liquor when your piece enters the Billiard Room or the Library
Beer when your piece enters the Lounge or the Hall
If you have a Clue board with updated or specialized rooms, you can figure out which rooms correspond here or just pick whatever rooms you want.
I did a Google site: search of the forum and didn’t find any posts where his has been discussed before, which surprised me.

The rules above seem somewhat random, but I was thinking if it were based on the drinks served in the movie... The Library was champagne when they arrived. The dining room was next with wine, and the Study followed with cognac, then again later in the Library with Whiskey.

Maybe something like this:

Hall — name your liquor-based c o c k t a i l upon arrival
BallRoom — champagne before dinner
Dining Room — wine at dinner
Study — cognac for after dinner drinks
Library — whiskey
Conservatory — this seems like desert wines, liquors, or alternatively mint juleps, mimosas, and Bloody Marys
The Billiard Room seems like the only place you’d get beer (on draft). But also, maybe tequila?
The Kitchen would be cooking sherry, or maybe vodka (also for cooking, or just chilled in the freezer)?
The Lounge could be anything. Maybe another pick your own?

Certainly a game like this would involve new strategy to avoid getting too drunk too quickly, or sick. Of course one could limit it to all beer, all wine, or all liquors, and maybe even some safe rooms with just non-alchoholic drinks.

Alternatively, the rule could only apply to a player who is summoned to a room, drinking when they arrive.

Or maybe it has nothing to do with the rooms at all. Instead it could be tied to specific weapons, and suspects (or rooms). So depending on the game, every time someone enters that room, calls for that weapon, or accuses that suspect, they have to drink — or any of the three — so the combination of naming all three in one turn results in a very intoxicating triple shot suggestion.

I think the missed opportunity with the Lost In Vegas edition is that the solution wasn’t Who, Where, and with what c o c k t a i l? So perhaps the way to do it is assign drinks to the weapons cards:

Dagger — tequila
Revolver — burbon
Rope — rum
Candlestick — brandy
Wrench — gin
Lead Pipe — vodka

In essence the weapons become drink names. Calling the drink into the room results in an “order” for the drink which the person making the suggestion must drink. Or, for a more interesting twist, the player called into the room with it, must drink!

Of course, if the goal is just to get drunk, then the same alchohol for everyone, and general rules: like everyone drinks when anyone calls Scarlett into a room as a suspect, or the revolver, or when a anyone uses the secret passages.

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy

Re: Clue as a Drinking Game?

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:36 pm

Awesome ideas! Honestly was thinking about the recent clue Vagas parody as a drinking game as well. Would fit the theme.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:38 am

Lord Leo Le Blanc wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:36 pm
Awesome ideas! Honestly was thinking about the recent clue Vagas parody as a drinking game as well. Would fit the theme.
Yes, in that thread I mentioned I wish they’d gone full HANGOVER in the premise for that game and made the case to solve: who roofied Buddy, in what c o c k t a i l, and where did they leave him?

Each photo of the weapons could have been Buddy with the drink in his hand, and then there would have been some kind of fun exotic drink token to move into the locations for each suggestion.

There are three monopoly games out there with drink tokens, c o c k t a i l opoly, wineopoly, and beeropoly, which I’m gonna try and pick up off eBay and then create my own custom clue cards for a drinking game.

This works with any Clue edition by the way, and probably make more sense in the end ...

Notorious alcoholic Mr. Boddy was poisoned by one of his dear friends during a lavish dinner party he hosted. Which friend poisoned him, in which drink, in what room? That’s a much more realistic murder scenario for a dinner party. No confusion, as if there would be, over whether Boddy was bashed in the head with a blunt instrument, or shot, stabbed, or strangled! Regardless of the method, he’s poisoned, and it could have happened at anytime, unnoticed by anyone, unlike say a gunshot! The evidence is which drink carried the poison, and who had access to that drink unnoticed by the others. That’s right out of an Agatha Christie Mystery.

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:06 pm

That is a realy good idea! would be interesting to make the drink cards. could have the drink alone, drink being held, or dead hand behind drink. If it's possible to commision art or find get pictures of "boddy" holding the drink. That would be cool. even if the picture is from online or you dressed as Boddy.