New Clue app for iOS

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu May 17, 2018 1:47 pm

cacums wrote:I have to say, I'm very happy with what this app has provided for the world of Clue. I hope to see more along the lines of the Train Update. And I really really want them to get involved with the Board and Card art in the next standard edition update.
Yes, I'd really be down to see a 1912 period Titanic-style murder mystery, and continue with the trend of expanding it outside a basic mansion setting. SOmething similar to this:

http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/vi ... php?t=4088

However, there's still plenty of room for the secluded estate concept while also expanding the options -- a Japanese villa for instance, with elaborate gardens. Likewise a castle estate with moat, and turrets. A grand hotel would be fun too. I'm still not opposed to a nice Summer beach house theme, though hopefully not just a standard mansion set at the beach -- maybe one where the beach itself is a location, along with a pier and boat house ...

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Fri May 18, 2018 4:23 am

I'd still very much like to see a Formal Summer Garden Party in the style of FX for their next update.

Perhaps replacing the "Tudor Manor" location with "The Terrace"

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Fri May 18, 2018 6:14 am

Did anyone else watch the video Marmalade posted to their social media about their team & passion for the games they adapt for mobile? It's a short thing, and well worth the glimpses of Cluedo artwork.

What struck me was how massive the different Clue intro videos are! This game could TOTALLY work in a landscape orientation on tablets if they'd just give it a go! And this confirmed something I'd believed for a long time: they've designed a lot more to each board/house than we get to see in the average game.

I knew the full rooftops were there thanks to the online multiplayer games loading the graphics when the camera zooms out for the first time. I was excited to glimpse the fully rendered mansion being rotated & inspected from multiple angles. Sometimes, when restarting a solo game, I've gotten quick glimpses of a topless mansion (stop it) from the side of the house, barely a second before the camera pans up & zooms in on my suspect. I've long wondered why they'd design all of these graphics we never get to really see.

Now I know the answer: they're crazy geniuses.

And now I want a tour/explore option in the app to just zoom in & out of all the boards & look at the structures from all the different angles.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Pherin91
Suspect

Post by Pherin91 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:18 am

One thing I noticed in the video was that they had a copy of Super Cluedo Challenge in on of their broad game stacks.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri May 18, 2018 3:49 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:Did anyone else watch the video Marmalade posted to their social media about their team & passion for the games they adapt for mobile? It's a short thing, and well worth the glimpses of Cluedo artwork.

What struck me was how massive the different Clue intro videos are! This game could TOTALLY work in a landscape orientation on tablets if they'd just give it a go! And this confirmed something I'd believed for a long time: they've designed a lot more to each board/house than we get to see in the average game.

I knew the full rooftops were there thanks to the online multiplayer games loading the graphics when the camera zooms out for the first time. I was excited to glimpse the fully rendered mansion being rotated & inspected from multiple angles. Sometimes, when restarting a solo game, I've gotten quick glimpses of a topless mansion (stop it) from the side of the house, barely a second before the camera pans up & zooms in on my suspect. I've long wondered why they'd design all of these graphics we never get to really see.

Now I know the answer: they're crazy geniuses.

And now I want a tour/explore option in the app to just zoom in & out of all the boards & look at the structures from all the different angles.
I've said this before ... and just confirmed it on Marmalade's site -- they make a point of saying they develop games for not only iOS and Android, but also Chromecast and Apple TV. That means they have an eye toward potentially releasing any of their games on a TV platform, and that necessarily means landscape orientation. Whether they ever release Clue/do on the tvOS platform or not, wouldn't affect the directive to make all artwork and designs compatible with the format.

The recent Star Trek BluRay restoration comes to mind -- even though they specifically decided to present it in the original 4:3 aspect ratio, they intentionally designed all the new CGI shots in 16:9 ratio in the event they ever decided to offer a 16:9 version of the restoration. It was a smart future-proofing move which any forward thinking company which deals with multiple format platforms would likewise make.

I agree -- an explore option would be fun.

The Late Dr Black
Snoop

Post by The Late Dr Black » Sat May 19, 2018 1:39 pm

Breaking news: New WEAPONS announced, looks like Horseshoe and Pick-axe make the grade!

Well done Marmalade.

Can't wait for new theme .....

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat May 19, 2018 2:15 pm

Yup, I see the Pick-axe, Horseshoe, Bowie knife, Pistol, Gold Or and Bullwhip!

Looks like an Indiana Jones theme? ;)

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat May 19, 2018 2:59 pm

New weapons, AND a release in the Steam store, with high resolution graphics for the PC's landscape screens! Here's hoping a version of that comes to mobile, etc, in the future!

I'd bet money they read this thread, lol.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat May 19, 2018 3:34 pm

Gold Rush? Wild West? I'm intrigued. Sheriff Mustard and Parson Green?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat May 19, 2018 4:35 pm

Madam Scarlet no doubt. Though the iOS game has been good for the most part avoiding stereotypical gender roles.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat May 19, 2018 4:38 pm

I actually find most of the campy appeal in Clue being from the stereotypical archetypes the characters and expanded characters fit. The femme fatal, the great white hunter, the maid, the priest/mobster, the grand dame, and the absent-minded professor.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat May 19, 2018 7:16 pm

CluedoKid wrote:Yup, I see the Pick-axe, Horseshoe, Bowie knife, Pistol, Gold Or and Bullwhip!

Looks like an Indiana Jones theme? ;)
Please no bullwhip!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat May 19, 2018 7:19 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:New weapons, AND a release in the Steam store, with high resolution graphics for the PC's landscape screens! Here's hoping a version of that comes to mobile, etc, in the future!

What is the Steam store? Is that related to Marmalade? I thought they were solely a mobile game platform. If so then this sounds like it confirms my assumption that all the artwork is produced in landscape mode for possible future releases. It would be short sighted no to do so, if only to accommodate the TV platforms they do.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun May 20, 2018 2:05 am

Murder by Death wrote:
alwaysPeacock wrote:New weapons, AND a release in the Steam store, with high resolution graphics for the PC's landscape screens! Here's hoping a version of that comes to mobile, etc, in the future!

What is the Steam store? Is that related to Marmalade? I thought they were solely a mobile game platform. If so then this sounds like it confirms my assumption that all the artwork is produced in landscape mode for possible future releases. It would be short sighted no to do so, if only to accommodate the TV platforms they do.
Steam is the predominant (insofar as I can tell) engine & retailer for PC gaming. So Marmalade has had to extensively upscale the graphics to look perfectly smooth & sharp on desktop & portable computers. I can't wait to take it for a spin, the few screenshots they've released look excellent!

As for the new Wild West theme: anyone think Rusty's Dry Goods store will make another appearance? I'm betting on Mustard as a kind of sheriff, recalling the movie poster from the Hollywood theme. OR, a Sheriff Gray, since he hasn't had a new look yet.

I wonder if these weapons will only be used in the western theme, or if they'll randomly mix the two sets together for every game.

The Late Dr Black
Snoop

Post by The Late Dr Black » Sun May 20, 2018 8:25 am

Wild West Theme confirmed !!!

Rusty would be great in this theme.
Azure, grey, Rose or Meadow-Brook would be excellent too.

Black would be a wonderful choice for a suspect here.

Hint : it looks like "Cowgirl Scarlett " is in the theme. You can see her in the picture (though it could be Rose too)

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sun May 20, 2018 9:21 am

I wonder how many characters we'll get this time around :D

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun May 20, 2018 10:49 am

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Murder by Death wrote:

Steam is the predominant (insofar as I can tell) engine & retailer for PC gaming. So Marmalade has had to extensively upscale the graphics to look perfectly smooth & sharp on desktop & portable computers. I can't wait to take it for a spin, the few screenshots they've released look excellent!

As for the new Wild West theme: anyone think Rusty's Dry Goods store will make another appearance? I'm betting on Mustard as a kind of sheriff, recalling the movie poster from the Hollywood theme. OR, a Sheriff Gray, since he hasn't had a new look yet.

I wonder if these weapons will only be used in the western theme, or if they'll randomly mix the two sets together for every game.
I'm getting the impression that these weapons will only be available in the Western Theme. If there were additional weapons, then I'd say for sure they've expanded the game to allow us to add and/or change them in any theme, but since there are only six of them, it feels like just a skin for this theme. Perhaps this is the first step toward that goal? But it doesn't seem like we're going to get what we've been hoping for just yet. And I definitely don't expect them to randomly mix the sets in every game ... A player will really need to be able to select if there's a horseshoe as a weapon in their winter ski lodge.

I'm happy with all the weapons changes except the lump of gold. The horseshoe is bad enough, but the gold just doesn't seem like a particularly deadly weapon -- even if a lump that size could be deadly, it just doesn't look deadly. Heck, I'd prefer a spittoon to this, or even a whiskey bottle smashed over the head, or broken off and stabbed into the body. Maybe a cast iron skillet for making breakfast at the gold mining camp site, or even the mining pan? Or a blacksmiths hammer? Railroad spike? Or a rattlesnake? Smallpox infected blanket?

Wouldn't you know the steam offerings are Windows only, no Mac yet. Looks like I'm going to have to wait to give Marmalade more of my money to get the HD landscape version. Now that I see it, I can easily see a port of this to Chromecast or Apple TV.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sun May 20, 2018 10:13 pm

Nevermind, you all know about it - God, I'm behind

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun May 20, 2018 11:51 pm

In the Steam Community for Clue/Cluedo, Marmalade (under the username Colonel Mustard - cute) has posted their Advanced Notes and Logic strategy guide. At last, we have a thorough explanation for how they'd intended the note taking options to be used. Makes a lot more sense, reading that thing, than how I'd been using the number options.

The game looks so good on my computer, and plays very smoothly. I'll try to snag some screenshots (bit of a process in Windows 10). Unlike the screenshots & trailer they've released, the game actually feature grey borders where all the tan ones would have appeared in the mobile game (notably, the bottom, now left, tab with the Hint button, player icon, and settings menu).

It does feel a bit static when entering a room. We no longer have the pan across the room art to the center, since the full image is now viewable. It is cool to see the full sized intro video (there's a LOT of trees surrounding Tudor Mansion, as well as a large hedge maze) & room paintings, though the artwork has been obviously left unfinished at the farthest edges. Colors continue, but the fine details stop at a certain point -- like the edges of a painter's canvass past the point where the frame would cover the edge. This isn't unbecoming or annoying, though, since the game was originally designed with narrow mobile screens in mind.

It's a little counterintuitive to have to move from taking notes on the right of the screen, to opening my hand of cards on the left of the screen. It would feel smoother, I think, if the opponents' icons were arranged at the left, with the player's icon/hand on the right.

The PC version doesn't include a dedicated shop for the extra skins. Instead, they offer access to the Season Pass (unlock everything now & in the future) from the game's Steam Store listing, and from the main menu of the game. To purchase individual boards/characters, player's have to progress as if setting up a game, and buy these items individually. Packs of boards with characters are offered on the same page as the option of just buying a board.

At present, the game does not offer an option to sign in with Facebook. Not only does this leave me with the awful player ID "PinkGorgon617," it also means I don't know yet if players will be able to sync their purchases across all platforms. My iOS and Android versions of the game have done this because of my Facebook login, and I'll be very disappointed if Marmalade doesn't implement a way for long time mobile players to sync their ID, boards, characters, hints, and scores with the Steam version.

Marmalade should also incorporate a version of the redesigned menus into the mobile game, even if they don't launch a landscape option for tablets. The screens slide from one to the next, following threads of string like a detective's bulletin board tying together parts of a crime. It's much more polished than the current graphics, and character selection is a lot cleaner than the mobile game's setup, with the options grouped by theme rather than by character.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon May 21, 2018 12:20 am

They've also uploaded all of the themed start screens, sans logo, to an Artwork Gallery. So if anyone wants a fun Clue/do wallpaper for their mobile devices, voila! Looks like a different facial design for Scarlett in the Hollywood image.

Image Image

The Videos section also offers a playthrough from one of Steam's reviewers. It's long, a bit painful to watch given how not terribly good at Clue the player is, but it will show everyone the new designs for the bigger screens.