Current Thoughts

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:28 pm

I prefer Pizza Pizza.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:40 pm

Why do we need to pick chain Pizza restaurants?

CluedoAuthor12
Master Detective

Post by CluedoAuthor12 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:16 pm

I can't stand Dominos :x

I much prefer some of my local pizzerias

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:22 pm

Once again, shameful self-promotion: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1015237/AIT98
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:46 pm

A while ago, I bought the book 'The Golden Compass' because the movie was coming out at the time (I haven't had the time to read it yet, though, but I eventually will because I also want to see the movie mainly because of Nicole Kidman, but the reviews say that although it's a good movie, you'll only get it if you've read the book). While the movie was still in theatres, I saw a rather upsetting message in someone's signature on the Nancy Drew game message boards about the movie. I can't remember EXACTLY what the message said, but I do remember that it said the author of GC (Philip Pullman) was an atheist who disagreed with CS Lewis and said the basic point of the books was to make people realize Christianity is a lie (in his opinion, anyway). The message ended with the user encouraging people to boycott the movie.
I myself agree with CS Lewis' views, but that is just my opinion. I have read books, watched TV shows, and seen movies featuring atheists, but that does not change my opinion; it just means that is the opinion of the character. Unless Canada (or the US, if that is where the user is from) becomes a dictatorship (in which case I'd move to Europe--anywhere in Europe, it wouldn't matter where, since I've dreamed of going there all my life), everyone has the right to express his or her opinion. If that user has a problem with Philip Pullman's opinion, they do not have to read the book or see the movie. But encouraging people to boycott it is not fair.
I think the user might be too young to understand it, but not everything featuring an atheist means it's strictly about atheism. For instance, Andrew Van de Kamp on Desperate Housewives is an atheist, but he only states this in one episode, and atheism is not the main theme of the show.
Basically, what it all boils down to is that it's not fair to encourage people to boycott a movie because anyone associated with it supports something you don't believe in when you don't know if that's strictly what the movie is about. For instance, I am a pacifist, but that does not stop me from seeing movies featuring war because I like to see a variety of opinions, nor does it cause me to tell people not to see that particular movie just because it supposedly supports something that goes against my beliefs.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:06 pm

Sorry, but I disagree. In Pullman's trilogy, atheist themes are woven in so subtly, it's easy to miss them and intergrate them as part of the story. Here's an example of what I'm talking about (though not in this same context):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg6qcgoay4

However, I'm glad to have seen that the movie significantly removed the atheist themes from the book.
~Ellery Queen

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:28 pm

In that case, that only proves my point that the user was wrong to assume that the atheist themes would be in the movie if they only saw the one interview PP gave (they should've assumed the themes wouldn't be there anyway because movies based on books tend to take stuff out and put stuff in). I'm going to write the user off as young and naive and try reading the book and seeing the movie anyway because we all have the right to express our opinion. :D
PS That video reminds me of the Where's Waldo? books. It's amazing how Waldo dresses so differently from everyone else on a particular page and yet is so hard to find, even though he's right there in front of you the entire time and he's only easy to locate once you realize where he is.

kova
Detective

Post by kova » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:32 pm

CluedoKid wrote:Why do we need to pick chain Pizza restaurants?
We don't. I'd much rather get California Kitchen Pizza or create my own.

Astrubal just dropped my blood pressure back to normal. I don't expect anyone to know who that is though.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:16 am

Does Lombard like muffins?

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:59 am

So, what did people think of my fanfics?

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:14 pm

As I've expressed many times, I really enjoy your fanfics. However, for the past few days I cannot log onto FanFiction to review. It's quite annoying.
~Ellery Queen

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:41 pm

I want chocolate :evil: :evil: :evil:

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:46 pm

So that's why I haven't been getting any reviews from you lately; I was beginning to worry my latest chapters were so bad that mere words couldn't do justice to describe how awful they are! Either that, or you were abducted by aliens. :lol:
Ff.net has a tendency to go under construction and therefore prevent people from logging in and the length often varies; one time, I was giving my profile page a makeover and I deleted everything except the chain messages and then I couldn't log in until the next day so everyone must've thought I was some nut!
It's one of those things where, if at first you don't succeed, try try again. The log-in works just fine for me; maybe you forgot your password or it's just under construction where you are? Try logging in again (or change your password) in about half an hour and if it doesn't have any effect, just tell me your opinion here and then keep trying until you're able to put your reviews up the proper way. (Plus, it's good publicity :wink: )
What do the other members think of my fanfics?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:14 pm

Mrs. White makes good muffins :D

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:08 pm

"Who got into the pantry? TIIIIITTEEEEYYYY!"
-- Quoting from some video I found about a Disney-fied Titanic
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:52 pm

Does anyone else on here write fanfics? If so, I'd be willing to read them.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:11 am

There's nothing like waking up with a HOT Dỉcken's Cider! :wink:

kova
Detective

Post by kova » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:26 pm

Am I the only one who does not like to write fan fiction nor read all that much of it?

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:52 pm

No, most people feel kind of awkward writing about someone else's characters or re-writing the canon; likewise, most people don't feel comfortable reading someone else's version of what happened during, say, the times Harry, Ron, and Hermione stopped to rest during Deathly Hallows when they might have their own version. And while there are several very well-written fanfics, there is also an equal number of writers who have poor spelling and grammer issues, not to mention poor characterization of the characters.
Still, I like reading and writing fanfics because my imagination likes to wander and think, 'What if this and that happened' or 'What would happen if so-and-so decided to do this-and-that' and although I have come across some poorly written fanfics, there are others that are exceptionally well-written. Who wants to me to share some of these fanfics?

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:08 pm

This video describes my relationship with Sims perfectly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nxu_Xx1FZ0