Things I can't stand...

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Michael
Mastermind

Things I can't stand...

Post by Michael » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:03 pm

:roll:

This stupid eye roll smiley. I can't stand it. Everytime I see it, I feel rage.

(And please don't respond to this post with an eye roll smiley...)
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:15 pm

Awww... I think it's cute!
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:21 pm

When people say "I'm not going to lie..." It's just an idiotic phrase! It implies that normally you lie, but in this case, you aren't going to. But how can I believe you if you lie all the time?

Or when people use "literally" incorrectly. "His head literally came off." No, it didn't. He'd be dead. He's standing next to you. So unless a miracle occured afterward that you aren't telling us about, it didn't "literally" come off.

Or when people pronounce Gyros "jai-rows." They are pronounced like "Ear-o's." It drives me absolutely insane, and now my friends do it on purpose. "Can I get some jai-row sauce?" GAH!

Oh, and when roommates don't take the garbage EVER or do the dishes EVER or clean the living room EVER...

Yeah, I have a lot of things.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:26 pm

Actually, they're pronounced "ghee-roh-s" but for those of you who don't know Greek, "Year-Os" will do :wink: LoL... I know what you mean about the "Jai-Rows" thing... that drives me mad too.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:44 pm

When people mimic you in a sqeaky voice to mock you. You know what I mean. As if repeating what you said makes them look cool.

Show Offs.

People who brag about how great they are (Like this one guy I know who doesn't shut up about how many cars he has)

Jerks who think everyone loves them when in reality everyone hates them.

When people say "My bad,". My bad what?
It needs a subject. (My Latin teacher's starting to rub off on me I guess)

People who give into peer pressure to "fit in".

I'll think of more later. EVERYTHING annoys me.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

cluegirl104
"I NEED to watch the movie again!!"

Re: Things I can't stand...

Post by cluegirl104 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:45 pm

Michael wrote::roll:

This stupid eye roll smiley. I can't stand it. Everytime I see it, I feel rage.

(And please don't respond to this post with an eye roll smiley...)
by telling me not to i just have the urge to do it! :evil:
Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless b!tch

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:29 pm

TheWhitePawn wrote:Actually, they're pronounced "ghee-roh-s" but for those of you who don't know Greek, "Year-Os" will do :wink: LoL... I know what you mean about the "Jai-Rows" thing... that drives me mad too.
Really? I had never heard it pronounced "Ghee-rohs," and I go to Tarpon Springs (a Greek town not far from me) quite often. I had always heard more like "year-ohs" or "ear-ohs," but kind of a tongue rolling thing I can't really replicate over the internet. I really had never head a "g" sound anywhere in there.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Wow

Post by Lord Caspen » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:52 pm

Firstly,

The thing about the eye-roll smiley is people use it at the wrong time. It should only be used to flag irony.

As in:

The eye-roll smiley rocks! It lets people know when they're being retards. :roll:

Even then, it should be used but sparingly, but then I feel that way about most smilies ... though perhaps the eye-roll should be used even more sparingly than most of the others.

Secondly,

"My bad" is also, I think, more wrong for its overuse, than for its very existence. "Apologies," is the closest thing that comes to it which still has any meaning, and it's just a little more formal than one wants, sometimes.

And if you're going to freak out about "proper English," as in "Bad needs to modify something!" then you're in for tremendous disappointment your whole life. It might be better to loosen up just a wee bit on the thing and not give yourself an ulcer at thirty.

However, that said, my list includes at least one grammatical error, but I think I have a much better call for mine than as stands against "my bad."

======
MY LIST
======

1. Uses of the word "who" where "whom" is required.

However, this bothers me far less in private company, or on a bulletin board, say, than it does when I hear it on TV from "educated" persons. Jack McCoy (of Law & Order) and Jed Bartlett (of The West Wing) and especially a Jessica Fletcher (of Murder, She Wrote) should all for the love of God say, "For whom?" instead of "For who?"

2. Uses of the word "less" where "fewer" is required.

If you need to rush someplace, and you're asked, "Why? You said back at the house we could take it easy," are you going to say, "Well, we have fewer time?" Of course not! Why not? Because it sounds retarded. Why is it retarded? Because "fewer" is used when you're counting whole units, and time, while it can be measured in whole units (seconds, minutes, hours), is not considered to exist only in those measurements, so we don't "count" it when we compare the amount of time is left now to how much was left earlier.

By contrast, people only exist in whole units. So, if we compare how many people there are here to how many there are over there, we don't say there are "less people," in either place. It's retarded, because if there were "less people," that necessarily means that it's possible that while there are 39 people over there, we might only have 38.172 people over here. Retarded.

I can abide this in personal use, but only because it makes you a real jerk if you keep correcting people. OTOH, it bugs me in a way which is different from "my bad," because at least "my bad," is a deliberate departure from grammar. The people who say, "my bad," don't think it's grammatically correct -- the phrase exists as an independent linguistic creation based on implication rather than literal translation.

I mean, "My error," is horribly stilted and geeky. "Apologies," is, as I said, too formal, and, in truth, terse. "My fault," implies more guilt than is usually meant by the phrase, "my bad," which allows that I did do wrong, but on the other hand I'm also saying I regard it as a fairly trivial matter, either because I'm fully prepared to make restitution, or else because it's just such small potatoes.

But people who say "less people," or "less animals," think that's okay, because they're not thinking about what they're saying. Words mean very little to them, so, necessarily, the listener has to do more work than is fair.

3. People who don't use turn-signals

4. People who tailgate

5. When people drive over the median just past the goring point when two lanes split off.

6. People who try to teach me how to drive, by getting in front of me only in order to slow down, and who, when I try to pass, then speed up, even breaking the speed limit in order to prevent me from getting around.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:14 pm

I have more...

When I get stuck doing all the work for something that is meant to be a group effort.

Conceited people

When people on Television try to portray people from NJ.

"I doin't tak Like dis,"

Unless, I do and I can't hear it. LOL

When your online and somebody tells you to correct your grammer. It's spelled Grammar with an A!

(About the "My Bad" thing. I don't go crazy about it and correct people. It's just something that irks me. Yes, I'm a bit of a grammar nazi, but I can't help it. Lol I don't mind if someone says it, but it annoys me for some reason. :? )

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:53 pm

Niteshade007 wrote:
Really? I had never heard it pronounced "Ghee-rohs," and I go to Tarpon Springs (a Greek town not far from me) quite often. I had always heard more like "year-ohs" or "ear-ohs," but kind of a tongue rolling thing I can't really replicate over the internet. I really had never head a "g" sound anywhere in there.
I can't replicate the Greek "g" sound online, but it's kind of like saying a "g" and "y" at the same time. It's extremely guttural... so that's why it might sound like a "y" to someone who's never made the distinction before.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:57 pm

I take that back... you can hear it on this website...

http://www.anotek.com/PRODDESC.HTM

Click the greek letters under the horse. The man says "Ena Alogo." Listen to the "g." It's softer... not like the "g" used in English.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

My Bad

Post by Lord Caspen » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:11 pm

PeachFreak,

Actually ... It bugs me a little, too, when I hear it, at least from anyone over the age of thirty. It bugs me less from those twenty-to-thirty. And everyone younger than twenty I hardly even notice.

I do apologize -- I think I got a little defensive, only because I do use the term myself, but, as with most things not quite proper I use it sparingly.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:39 pm

I don't know about where you guys live, but only black people say "my bad" around here... and it's a relatively new term. I can't say I heard anyone using it more than maybe a year ago...

Then again, I'm rarely ever around a group of black people (not that I'm racist or anything) so maybe that's why...

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:40 pm

Almost everyone says it here.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:44 pm

LoL... I think if a white person said it around here everyone would look at him/her as if he/she were crazy :P

cluegirl104

Post by cluegirl104 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:07 am

everyone says it here to-i say it all the time and i am very white (not that i am racist either btw!)

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:55 am

I hate it when people sell games on eBay and don't know if the game is complete. The included pieces are listed in the instruction book, for Pete's sake, read the **** thing!

I second the dislike of people who don't use their turn signals. I yell horrible things in their direction when it happens. Is it really so hard to flick the little lever by the wheel? I don't think so.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:43 pm

Haha, I'm someone who doesn't use their turn signals, sorry.

It does drive me crazy though when people are in the turning lane with their turn signals one. You're in the turn lane, we know you're turning!

I had to drive home this weekend, so now driving is one of the things I can't stand. Well, driving for long periods of time, with a roommate from Boston...who won't shut up.

That's another thing that annoys me, Boston accents...*shudders*

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:06 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:I hate it when people sell games on eBay and don't know if the game is complete. The included pieces are listed in the instruction book, for Pete's sake, read the **** thing!

I second the dislike of people who don't use their turn signals. I yell horrible things in their direction when it happens. Is it really so hard to flick the little lever by the wheel? I don't think so.
LOL My mom thinks the same and so do I. (maybe some people think it's decoration for the windshield wiper lever)

cluegirl104

Post by cluegirl104 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:13 pm

now here is a unny one-i hate complainers! :?