Series of Unfortunite Events

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

cml
Suspect

Post by cml » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:41 pm

yeah the end was bad but i liked the rest of the movie, except for the train part, that was really random
Strawberry Dacquiries are yummilicious

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:33 pm

I can't see the clip w/o downloading the aOL movie viewer thingy. is there anywhere else to see it?

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:15 pm

sry about tha alwayspeacock :?

some spoilers ahead, be warned!

i finally saw the movie last night, pretty good, but a little hurried, i mean the part with the reptile room was like 5 min??? the funny thing was when the giant harmless snake jumped out, my mom jumped back and almost shrieked! :lol: :lol: :lol: i didnt tho, cuz i knew it was gonna happen also the funny part with the RR was when stepano slowly went out of the room but before he left he touched a cage then it hissed at him. i LOL at that! and i laughed when they first met stephano too, he kept acting funny like when he moved his glasses and his hair! it was so funny and how most of the hair was at the back!
and the WW was good, but i didnt like how aunt josephine died, it just was creepy with the banana floating, blech!

anyways the movie is good, it could have used more effort but still good and i hope theres a sequel

PS it seemed like sunny didnt have a big part in the movie, she was good for a few laughs with olaf but that was it :?
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

ClueBoy12
Informant

Post by ClueBoy12 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:28 pm

PrinceAzure33 wrote:PS it seemed like sunny didnt have a big part in the movie, she was good for a few laughs with olaf but that was it :?
true, that seemed a little overworked sunny was saying things like bite me, thats just not the proper baby we knew from the books, (well as proper as you can get while being adicted to bitting things :? )

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:42 pm

yeah thats what i thought but it was kinda funny, like wow you're really nuts!

and what was up with her on the table? it was kinda weird :lol:
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:50 pm

I watched the clip. From what little bit I've seen, I might like the movie. Klaus doesn't seem anything like the book Klaus, but I can live with it. Sunny looks right and Violet looked right.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:19 pm

i'm going again :D but in mass. cuz i wanna c it in closed captioning :D

PS im excited, cuz one reason: EMILY BROWNING :lol: lol

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:03 pm

I just got back from thye theatre, and I have to say that I was pleased with the transition from page to screen. Having read the books, I felt some things were rushed or could have been done better, but to my dad, who has not read the books, everything was great. Even though he had not read the books, not once did he get lost or confused. (Unlike my cousin who saw Harry Potter #3 w/o reading it first; but this isn't about that.) The train scene was definately taking a vacation from the books, but with the way the film was laid out, I understand that they needed something to get the kids away from Olaf for a while. Sunny had some of the best lines in the movie, and Meryl Streep was as good as expectd from her. I did not find the end to be entirely pleasent as some have said, but more...touching. Despite being 'rushed' it is a movie I will see again and will buy when it come out on DVD.

I do have a little question: What time period does this take place in? Klaus' outfit was relatively modern, sweater and slacks, but all of the other charactets looked almost Victorian. The cars were also old fashioned, with a large black car phone and a reel-to-reel tape recorder as its sole music provider, but their way of speaking was not so.

Did anyone else find it...ironic (if that's the appropriate word) that Olaf was reading a magazine about Lon Chaney 'The Man of a Thousand Faces'? I think I was probably the only kid in the audience to notice that the picture of Chaney on the cover of the magazine was of him in his Phantom of the Opera get up, which made him look completely different that he really did; Olaf also disguised himself to look almost completely different that he really did. I got a kick out of it.
"But look what happened to the cook!"