New Mysteries by CluedoAuthor12- Case 4 Solved!

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

CluedoAuthor12
Master Detective

New Mysteries by CluedoAuthor12- Case 4 Solved!

Post by CluedoAuthor12 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:32 pm

Hello all! It's been such a long time, I know. I've been super busy in school, studying to be a music teacher, among other things, but I've been kind of lingering on the forums for the latest news and what not and I couldn't resist coming back for a bit.

I've had a mystery under my belt for a while that I'd been meaning to share, basically in the style of all those TV style mystery episodes that I did so long ago. I'll share the cards and synopsis here soon; if anybody would be interested, let me know! It's great to be back posting again :D
Last edited by CluedoAuthor12 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 10 times in total.

CluedoAuthor12
Master Detective

Post by CluedoAuthor12 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:33 pm

The annual Arlington Historical Society charity house walk is taking place, with Arlington Grange being the final stop on the tour. But when the head of the Old Houses Board comes to ensure everything is in order, only trouble, and eventually murder, ensues.

"One for the Ages�

CluedoAuthor12
Master Detective

Post by CluedoAuthor12 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:47 pm

The Suspects: Mrs. Peacock, Col. Mustard, Miss Scarlet, Rev. Green, Mrs. White, Prof. Plum, Autumn, Sgt. Snow

The Weapons: Paperweight, Rat Poison, Kitchen Knife, Hammer & Nails, Candlestick, Croquet Mallet

The Rooms: Garden, Study, Kitchen, Dining Room, Drawing Room, Library

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:17 pm

Hammer and nails is a brutal idea... Not that that's a bad thing here. :wink:

I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but I think changing using your smaller images of the suspects may be for the best. It's kind of apparent they were scaled up, and the jpeg artifacts don't really help.
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

CluedoAuthor12
Master Detective

Post by CluedoAuthor12 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:44 pm

Zoo977 wrote:Hammer and nails is a brutal idea... Not that that's a bad thing here. :wink:

I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but I think changing using your smaller images of the suspects may be for the best. It's kind of apparent they were scaled up, and the jpeg artifacts don't really help.
Not at all, that was just the way the collage app I used configured them into the spaces in the grid. I'll feature more traditional cards later on in the game, ideally.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:12 am

Let's hope Miss Scarlet does it - I don't recall any of your old mysteries where she is the murderer.

CluedoAuthor12
Master Detective

Post by CluedoAuthor12 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:51 pm

"One for the Ages�

The Garden, 12:05 PM

Colonel Mustard strolled toward the front of the Grange from the garden, carrying a croquet mallet in his hand. Professor Plum had often considered himself a croquet-pro, but the Colonel rested easy knowing he had just thrashed him in their last match.

As he rounded the circle drive, a small gray car pulled up and parked in front of the house. A tall, lanky man in an ill-fitting suit emerged. Upon noticing the Colonel approaching, he extended his hand.

“Ah, Patrick!� He exclaimed gleefully.

A little too gleefully, Mustard thought, slightly annoyed. “David.� he said, reaching out to shake the man’s hand. “Here to make sure everything’s in order before the house walk group arrives?�

“Bingo.� replied David Short, the chairman of the Old Houses Board. “How’s everything going, do you know?�

“Well, I think. Elizabeth has been running around all day making sure everything’s in order, Mrs. White has been tidying and cooking as usual. I think we’re in for another successful walk this year.�

“Excellent! Well I’ll just be in to talk to Mrs. Peacock real quick and see for myself.� Mr. Short slicked back his hair and began to march up the front steps to the house. Before he went inside, he turned back to the Colonel. “Oh, and we’ll have to have a chat later. Strictly business of course.�

“Yes, er, of course.� the Colonel grumbled, slightly confused as he watched Short enter the Grange, the front door slamming behind him.

The Kitchen, 12:14 PM

Mrs. White laid out yet another tray of snack foods for the house walk guests to enjoy. She’d had a pretty good streak of success with her baked goods, cheese trays, and other such treats in the past years for the house walk. Just something for the guests to munch on after the tour; after all, they had donated enough money to the Historical Society, might as well feed them too.

As she picked up a large kitchen knife to finishing cutting up a cantaloupe for her fruit tray, Reverend Green came in through the back door, looking excited as ever. “Good afternoon, Mrs. White! Excited for the house walk, are we?�

“Oh yes!� she beamed, “I’ve always loved the walk. I remember going on it with Mr. White every year. We were avid donors to the Historical Society, you know. Getting to tour all of the beautiful old houses in Arlington was such fun.�

“Ah yes.� the Reverend replied, “And all for a good cause! Though I wasn’t very happy when the Society appointed David Short to head the Old Houses Board.�
“And why’s that?� asked Mrs. White, puzzled.

“Well… and this is only hearsay of course, but… the man doesn’t belong to a single church in town. Not one. They say he doesn’t believe. That he’s…� Green let out an exasperated gasp, “An… atheist! I mean, it’s bad enough to not have the head of the Old Houses board of Arlington not belong to a church in town, but not to be church-going at all?? It’s… distressing.�

As the Reverend stepped off his soap box, Mr. Short slowly walked into the Kitchen, shaking his head. “Oh Reverend, not still on about that, are you? You protested in front of the board… three times, was it?.. to try and keep me out. Much luck that did you!� He let out a laugh as Green crossed his arms in defeat.

Short turned to Mrs. White. “Ah, Mrs. White, dear. My this all looks absolutely wonderful! You’ve really outdone yourself. Far better than last year.�

“And what do you mean by that?� Mrs. White stuttered.

“Oh you didn’t know? Half of the tour left the Grange with food poisoning last year. It was very messy. In fact, I was supposed to make sure that Mrs. Peacock knew so you wouldn’t have a chance to nearly kill anybody this year! Never got around to it I’m afraid, always busy on the board, you know. But now, as long as I’m here to see her anyway, I suppose..�

Mrs. White was fuming. “You can’t tell her! Why, it could’ve been from any of the other houses on the tour that day that served snacks.�

“Maybe.� A sly smile crept across Mr. Short’s face. “Except that the Grange was first on the tour last year…� Giggling, he left the room.

Reverend Green sighed a heavy sigh.

“Nearly kill anybody, eh?� muttered Mrs. White, tossing the knife into the sink and shuffling off.

The Study, 12:25 PM

Elizabeth Peacock was a lady of society, a lady of culture, and, as of late, a major donor to the Historical Society. It had earned her a spot on the Old Houses Board, which was a welcome addition to her list of societal accomplishments for sure, though weekly meetings with a bunch of stuffy old Arlington home owners, headed by David Short at the helm didn’t sweeten the deal. Oh well. She’d get over it. All for a good cause, of course. And how could she resist showing off the Grange once a year for the house walk? Perfect.

As she sat at her desk in the Study filing though some old receipts, Colonel Mustard came in. “Elizabeth,� he huffed, still carrying the croquet mallet, “David Short is here, he’s been looking for you.�

“Oh wonderful. That nosey man is always so concerned that we can’t prepare the house for the tour ourselves. I suppose I’ll have to find him put his mind at ease.� She pointed at the mallet in Mustard’s hand, “And must you bring that dirty sports equipment in my house?�

“Sorry� the Colonel said sheepishly, “But he wants to talk to me too. And I know it’s to tell me that I’m not getting my spot on the Old Houses Board back this year.�

“Correct!� Mr. Short suddenly appeared in the doorway. “Sorry, Pat. The board voted unanimously that your presence just wasn’t conducive the success of the Society any more. Can’t be helped, I’m afraid.�

“They only voted that way because of lies I can only assume that you fed to them!� the Colonel shouted, “And I won’t stand for it!� Angered, he threw the mallet on the floor and then left the room, pushing through the doorway past Short.

“Oh David,� Mrs. Peacock sighed, “I’m expecting a tour of strangers in my house at 2 o’clock and you have to come and make trouble.�

“Classic me.� he smiled, picking up a paperweight off the desk and tossing it from hand to hand. “And too bad, too. What with the Colonel losing his spot on the board, and Arlington Grange being pulled off of the tour list for next year’s walk.�

Mrs. Peacock grabbed the paperweight from him as she looked up in disbelief, “And why, may I ask, is that?�

“The tour’s gotten too big as it is. I’m not saying people don’t look forward to coming here on the walk every year, because they do! It’s just, I had to make cuts, and unfortunately, you got cut. But that’s life I guess!�

Peacock narrowed her eyes and slammed the paperweight onto the desk. Mr. Short jumped slightly at the loud slam, giggled, then left the room.

The Dining Room, 12:40 PM

Miss Scarlet and Autumn were finishing up a quick lunch before returning to make sure that everything was in order for the house walk when David Short entered the room.
Oh bother. Miss Scarlet was instantly discouraged. Better hope David didn’t remember the incident at the Historical Society benefit party last year. No good.

“Josephine Scarlet! Josie! Well aren’t you a sight for sore eyes!� he exclaimed.

F*ck.
“David.� she said through clenched teeth, “What a pleasant surprise.�

“Who’s this creep?� Autumn asked, suspiciously and coldly, as 18-19-somethings do.

“So this is the cousin you told me about, eh?� David muttered to Miss Scarlet, “Kind of a b!tch, isn’t she?�

“What was that, psycho?!� Autumn angrily grabbed a silver candlestick from the dining table as she stood up, brandishing it above her head, menacingly.

“Autumn,� her cousin said comfortingly, “Now calm down. Why don’t you go wait in your room for a while? Mr. Short and I have.. things.. to discuss.�

Discouraged, Autumn slammed the candlestick back down on the table and ran off.

“Well that was dramatic.� said David, turning his gaze back to Miss Scarlet.

She looked suspiciously at him. “And what may I ask are you doing here?�

“Just making sure your step-mother isn’t going to let the place burn down or turn to a complete shambles before the donors on the house walk tour arrive later. Either that, or Mrs. White could poison them I suppose. But you- we both know that you’re the real one to watch out for.� He reached down and clasped his hand around her wrist.

Miss Scarlet instantly pulled away and walked stoically to the large bay window. She stared blankly outside, lost in thought. “I don’t think that today is the right day to re-open that whole affair.� she said.

Mr. Short let out a small chuckle, as he so often did. “Well we should probably address it eventually.� he walked closer toward her position at the window, “You were awfully drunk at that party, as I recall. And pulled over for drunk driving on your way home, weren’t you? Lucky for you the police didn’t investigate further. Did they ever find the mayor’s dog? Disappeared that very same night I seem to recall- seem to think the poor thing was.. hit by a car.�

Miss Scarlet whirled around, rage in her eyes, “But you know I’d lose my secretary job at the mayor’s office if you told them such a thing. Even if it were just about the DUI! You’d better keep your mouth shut David, or I’ll see you in *beep*.�

Tapping the side of his nose knowingly, Short left the room.

Men. The worst, Miss Scarlet thought. Well she had always thought that, but this was too much. Turning back toward the window, she caught a glimpse of Professor Plum angrily pacing through the garden.

The Garden, 12:50 PM

Professor Peter Plum paced back and forth, angrily, as some may describe it, around the lush garden, weaving in and out of stone pathways and around flower beds. These darn rats. Mrs. Peacock had been pestering him to get rid of the awful creatures for weeks now, and he just couldn’t do it. The d@mn things just wouldn’t die.

A different kind of rat made his way outside to the gardens, David Short. “Afternoon, Professor!�

Plum avoided his gaze. Professor Short, that’s how he had always known him. Former college professor colleagues at the university. He wanted to avoid conversation with the man at all costs. Not a good friendship, as he recalled it. Darn, too late. He was approaching too quickly. Conversation was imminent.

“Hello David.� he stuttered, “You’re looking well.�

“I know�, Short smiled, “Same for you. Single life has done you wonders.�

“Maybe.� Plum gritted his teeth. “Though at the end of the day, that’s not exactly your place to say.� He removed a plastic jar of rat poison from a wheelbarrow full of tools resting on the side of one of the garden paths, removed the twistable lid, and began to toss the pellets around the nooks and crannies of the pathways.

“You’ve got rats, have you?�

“Well Elizabeth does. Say, don’t you have better things to do than bother me? I’ve got work to do.�

“I suppose.� David chuckled, “Just get it done and then get lost, eh? My donors don’t want to see you all on your hands and knees tossing poison all over the place when they come to see Mrs. Peacock’s beautiful home.�

Professor Plum looked up from his spot on the ground as Mr. Short walked off in the distance. What a d!ck.

The Library, 1:20 PM

Sergeant Parker Snow paced back and forth in the Library, glancing at the books among the shelves. Had to find something to occupy his time. After all, as a friend of the family, he didn’t at all mind being asked to monitor the tour on security duty every year. Mrs. Peacock’s house was full of valuables, but certainly the kind of people donating money to the Historical Society to go on this house walk wouldn’t exactly be the kind to be stealing like common street thugs. Still, better safe than sorry, he figured.

“Sergeant!� Mr. Short walked in, an old rusted coffee canister full of nails, and with a heavy hammer sticking out the top in his hands. “You’re just the man I needed! I’ve got a little job for you, courtesy of Mrs. Peacock. There’s a painting that’s fallen off the wall because the hook broke in the Drawing Room. I need you to put in a new nail for it to hang on.� He shoved the heavy container into his open and unwilling hands.

“Say now,� the Sergeant protested, “You sure she asked me to do this? I’m supposed to be on security detail and the house walk is gonna start in less than an hour!�

“Well, I bumped into her in the corridor. She was very flustered and handed the task off to me, but I can’t be bothered, to be completely honest with you. And when I heard you were on detail for today, I knew you’d be willing to do the job! Heaven knows you can’t do the job that your uniform claims you do ninety percent of the time.�

Snow glared angrily at Short, “And what makes you say that, you bumpkin? I’m a dedicated officer of the law. 10 years on the force this October.�

“Interesting you should say that. You know, being a minor public official with a minor position has its perks sometimes. You get to learn amazing things you just never thought you’d know about other officials… like the law enforcement.� With a laugh, he hurried off, leaving Sgt. Snow holding the hammer and nails.

“B@stard!� he shouted, and hurried off to the..

Kitchen, 1:30 PM

Sergeant Snow burst in and slammed the coffee container onto the Kitchen counter. He was so forceful that the hammer bounced out and hit the floor with a loud thud, along with a couple nails.

“Oh my!� Mrs. White exclaimed, “Sergeant! Is everything alright?� She was in the process of bringing all of the snack trays to the Dining Room, and there was just one left.

“It certainly isn’t.� he said sternly. “And if I’m gonna be security for this thing, then my first order of business is going to be to throw his sorry self outta this house!�

As he rushed past her and out of the room and with her last tray in hand, Mrs. White let a gleeful smile form acorss her face.

The Drawing Room, 1:47 PM

Mrs. Peacock frustratingly paced the Drawing Room on her cell phone, glancing out the portrait window overlooking the front garden every once in a while to ensure the tour hadn’t arrived yet. The call sent her to voicemail. Great, she thought. “Professor, it’s Elizabeth again. The tour will be here any minute and there’s a painting that needs hanging here in the Drawing Room and I can’t seem to corral anybody else up to fix it. Please call me back when you can.� What great help her friends and family were. And her with only ten minutes and still so much to.. take care of. Flustered, she hung up and hurried out of the room.

Outside, the back yard, 1:55 PM

Colonel Mustard gallantly left the croquet field, croquet mallet back in hand. Looking off toward the front of the house, he could see the tour just arriving.

From her bedroom window, Autumn could see the same thing as she quietly stood and watched.

The front entrance, 2:00 PM

Miss Scarlet stood at the Grange entrance, greeting the visitors on the tour as they entered the house. “Hello! Yes, welcome. Go right ahead. Good afternoon, so nice to have you with us!�

Once everyone was inside, Rev. Green gave Miss Scarlet a nudge. “Seems to be going smoothly! I was so worried for a moment earlier. But I’m at ease now.�

“Oh gosh. As am I. And the tour was right on time, too. That almost never happens.� she smiled, “I suppose just as long as David Short keeps his distance from our guests...�

“I imagine he will.� the Reverend nodded in agreement.

Mrs. Peacock led the guests first through the front hall, explaining history and pointing out points of interest as she went along. “And first stop will be the Drawing Room,� she explained, motioning to her right. “One of the most furnished rooms in the house, my Drawing Room features..� But before she could continue, she was cut off by a scream.

“He’s dead! David Short’s been murdered!�

“Oh dear.� Mrs. Peacock sighed, as all around her terrified tour members began to scream and rush for the doors. Panic ensuing. Lovely. Another successful house walk. The board would receive her resignation notice tomorrow.

…………

David Short is dead! It’s up to you to discover who murdered him, where, and with what weapon. Three questions must be asked before a deduction is made, and any of the suspects may be questioned any number of times.

Good luck!
Last edited by CluedoAuthor12 on Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:49 pm

These questions may sound a little dumb as it's been a long day and I'm exhausted.

First off - Mrs. Peacock - who discovered the body, it wasn't really explained in the story.

Autumn - Did you see Colonel Mustard enter the house while you were watching him from your bedroom?

Sgt. Snow - what were your movements after you were in the Kitchen

CluedoAuthor12
Master Detective

Post by CluedoAuthor12 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:43 pm

Black wrote:These questions may sound a little dumb as it's been a long day and I'm exhausted.

First off - Mrs. Peacock - who discovered the body, it wasn't really explained in the story.

Autumn - Did you see Colonel Mustard enter the house while you were watching him from your bedroom?

Sgt. Snow - what were your movements after you were in the Kitchen

"Well I was very preoccupied at the time with the tour you know, but I do remember that it was distinctly Colonel Mustard's voice announcing the.. terrible event. I just wished he had kept his voice down and been more subtle about it."

"Yeah. I saw him coming across the lawn then go in through the back door."

"Hmm, let me think.. oh, right. I left the Kitchen, then went to the Study to look for the rat there, but it was empty."

Jamie
Firearms Specialist

Post by Jamie » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:02 pm

Mrs Peacock - Did you find anyone to fix the picture hook?

Professor Plum - Why was your phone going to voicemail?

Mrs White - What did you do after Sgt. Snow left the kitchen?

CluedoAuthor12
Master Detective

Post by CluedoAuthor12 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:14 am

Jamie wrote:Mrs Peacock - Did you find anyone to fix the picture hook?

Professor Plum - Why was your phone going to voicemail?

Mrs White - What did you do after Sgt. Snow left the kitchen?

"Well nobody came to my rescue in time, so I grabbed one of the larger vases of flowers from the dining room before anybody had a chance to arrive and brought it to the drawing room. I moved one of the end tables to the spot where the picture was, and placed the vase on the table so it filled the space. I stashed the picture away in a closet- I don't think anybody noticed..."

"I remember feeling the phone vibrating in my pocket, but I was scrambling to collect all of my things and get inside and cleaned up before the tour arrived you see, so I didn't really want to bother pausing to answer it in the moment."

"Oh, well I just brought the last of the trays to the dining room and then made sure everything was in order there."

CluedoAuthor12
Master Detective

Post by CluedoAuthor12 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:43 am

Black and Jamie, you may both now make a deduction- what room the murder happened it, what weapon was used, and who was the killer?

Jamie
Firearms Specialist

Post by Jamie » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:28 am

Plum , Kitchen Knife , Library

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:34 am

Colonel Mustard w/ Croquet Mallet in the Kitchen

CluedoAuthor12
Master Detective

Post by CluedoAuthor12 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:53 am

Jamie wrote:Plum , Kitchen Knife , Library

You've got NONE out of 3 correct.

The Library, the Knife, and Professor Plum may now all be safely eliminated from our inquires.
Last edited by CluedoAuthor12 on Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CluedoAuthor12
Master Detective

Post by CluedoAuthor12 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:54 am

Black wrote:Colonel Mustard w/ Croquet Mallet in the Kitchen

You've got 1 out of three correct!

CluedoAuthor12
Master Detective

Post by CluedoAuthor12 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:55 am

For your second round of play, 2 questions of any suspect, then another deduction. Additional evidence will be posted very soon, which may help you along.

CluedoAuthor12
Master Detective

Post by CluedoAuthor12 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:55 am

The Study, 1:47 PM

Sergeant Snow burst into the Study, “Short?!� Nothing. As he was about to turn to try a different room, the heavy paperweight lying on the floor caught his attention. Odd, he thought. Oh well.

The Garden, 1:47 PM

Profesor Plum’s cell phone ringing in his pocket went unnoticed as he hurried, rat poison in hand, back to the house.

The Dining Room, 1:49 PM

Mrs. White placed the last tray on the Dining Room table. She looked on at her handiwork, triumphantly surveying her array of amazing dishes. The only distressing thing to catch her eye was the fact that one of her good silver candlesticks was missing, making the table setting uneven. Oh dear. Better just replace it with one of the brass ones from the older set. Surely they’ll never notice.

Outside, the back yard, 1:55 PM

Colonel Mustard gallantly left the croquet field, croquet mallet back in hand. Looking off toward the front of the house, he could see the tour just arriving. As he was about to go back inside, he noticed Miss Scarlet hurriedly shuffling to the front doors to take her position as greeter.

From her bedroom window, Autumn could see the same thing as she quietly stood and watched.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:11 pm

2 for the Colonel

What happened to the mallet and where did Miss Scarlet come from?

Kitchen - Hammer and Nails - Miss Scarlet

Jamie
Firearms Specialist

Post by Jamie » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:36 pm

Reverend Green -We didn't see too much of you, where were you before the tour started?

Sgt Snow - What did you do after rushing in to the Study?