New new standard edition

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:11 am

Why don't we have some kind of "Like" button here? That post warrants one!
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:32 am

historicchange wrote:You do know that all of these changes started from elements introduced in Master Detective, right?
I would argue MD was an simplified version of Super Cluedo Challenge introduced two years earlier. But yes, DTS can trace its roots back to those first expansion games.

But honestly, I don't have a problem with 'bonus' cards. They can make otherwise fairly predictable gameplay more interesting. Ultimately the biggest problem with DTS and TCMG is the complete reimagining of the setting -- taking stuffy British archetypes and updating them to be relatable young, hip, urban characters, further attempting to unify them under some sort of confusing secret organization, and then adding insult to injury by taking them out of a creepy old mansion and putting them into a sterile modern setting. There's just no point in doing it, and it harms the game in so many ways. The success of Downton Abbey is proof that Hasbro took the wrong fork in the river.

I am surprised to hear the game was found in the clearance bin. Could this have been a mistake, due to the price of the game? It just hit the shelves a month ago. And to completely drop TCMG after less than a year on the shelves? Why would Hasbro do this, unless TCMG was always a transition to something else, or they suddenly have something else coming in the near future (and I'm not sure I would expect an improvement if that's the case)?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:59 pm

Just got back from Target.

They are completely sold out of the Vintage Clue edition, though they had some Risk and Stratego vintage boxed games on the shelf, and the Clue label was still on the shelf.

Most disturbing is that the full-sized version of TCMG is missing entirely, and all of the new square box, double-sided version are completely sold out as indicated by the presence of its shelf label.

So, either there has been significant demand on Clue games at this target, or Target is not re-ordering one or both games.

It looks like the full-sized TCMG has been discontinued (at least at Target) and replaced with the cheaper version. It's also possible the $9 price-tag was enough to really move Clue games over other choices that are priced much higher -- and that might be a good thing for Clue, as long as people don't associate cheap quality with Clue. On the other hand, it suggests Clue sales are not doing well at all, and the best Hasbro can do is offer it as a cheap bargain buy to even keep it in the marketplace.

I was also concerned that unlike Monopoly which is at adult eye level, TCMG was on the bottom shelf, almost behind a pole. Perhaps that is good for small children who might be crawling around on the floor, but that does not seem to be optimal placement for the intended tweeners.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:53 pm

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:47 pm

My nearest Walmart is stocking this edition now, but selling it for the same $19.99 as every previous edition. Guess they missed the memo...
"But look what happened to the cook!"

chaostheory1489
Private Eye

Post by chaostheory1489 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:20 am

My Walmart is carrying it too, but even though the price listed on the shelf was around $20, it rang up as $10 when I bought it.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:43 am

Frostbyte wrote: Also, gone from the rules is the 2-Player variant they included in the previous printing.
And what would be the point in that?

It's not like that rule variation is dependant on anything in the game -- those rules can be applied to original editions of Clue. That would seem to be a selling point.
1. The first major difference between 2-player/Team CLUE and classic CLUE is the setup. (See page 2 for classic setup).
 Follow steps 1 and 2 of setup as usual.
 In step 3, shuffle the rest of the Black
CLUE cards together as usual. But then, before you deal them to the players/ teams, take the top four black CLUE cards from the deck and place them facedown in a row at the side of the board.
 Follow step 4 of setup as usual. But ignore step 5: you can never use the Red Bonus cards in a 2-player or
Team game.
2. The second major difference in 2-player/ Team CLUE is what you do when nobody answers your question. (See page 4 for classic rules on asking).
 Ask questions as normal. The other player/team must always try to answer.
But, if player/team cannot answer, you must secretly look at one of the four cards at the side of the board. Once you’ve crossed it off your CLUE Sheet, return the card to exactly the same spot at the side of the board.
Every time the other team/player cannot answer one of your questions, secretly look at a different one of the four cards
at the side of the board. (You’ll have to remember the places of the ones
you’ve already seen!)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:25 am

Picked up a copy today at Target when I was running some errands.

Stunned at how cheap the quality of this game is, particularly the board. The box itself seems to be of higher quality than the board.

Surprisingly, the cardboard insert is sized too large to allow the components to easily fit in the remaining storage section. Neither the detective notes nor the envelope fit in it. As a result the detective notes have to go underneath, or on top of the insert, which causes the box not to close all the way. I can only imagine that no one tested all this out before the game went into production.

The biggest shock came as I was checking out ... The cashier was a young kid in his early 20s who said to me "wow Clue, I haven't played this in years. This is the game with Mr. Orange ... And something Violet?" -- I mean forget he hadn't played it in years at his young age, but he doesn't even know the cultural references, even enough to get them wrong. Hasbro has really dropped the ball here. The day I hear a kid say, "Let's play Clue, I wanna be Jack Hartman", is the day I give it up.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:11 pm

hahaha...
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:02 pm

And to think I got mad at my friends dad when I was 12 for referring to a character as "Professor Green"

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:27 pm

At least it isn't the Deinvention version. That was just plain awful.

Though I lament that they have, thus far, not released a just plain old classic Clue version. What is Hasbro thinking, or taking?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:46 am

So the new square box edition of Clue, appears to be the only version in production by Hasbro, if the Hasbro online store can be used as any indication, as it's the only version you buy directly from Hasbro, and the only one they even offer from other online stores. You may recall this was the first indication that Discover The Secrets was out of production, and soon thereafter disappeared from store shelves.

http://www.hasbro.com/shop/browse/Clue/ ... 7Zgt/Ne-2l

Now I'm curious about this, because the square box edition does not appear to be offered under the Cluedo brand, nor can you buy either of the two Cluedo products they list on the UK store. Can anybody in the UK confirm this?

Could Clue be planning yet another reinvention?