New new standard edition

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Frostbyte
Slueth

New new standard edition

Post by Frostbyte » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:00 am

So I was at Target tonight, and noticed that the newest mass market version of Clue now comes in a square box, which is more standard for board games in general nowadays.

But upon further inspection, they added more to the game.

The board is now double-sided. The modern mansion is on one side, and a new "Boardwalk" board is on the reverse side. There are only 6 locations on the Boardwalk, rather than 9.

The $9.99 price made a lot more sense when I got it home. The board and cards are very cheap quality. And I got 2 revolver tokens... The candlestick was missing.

http://instagram.com/p/bkr9B8h1xl/
http://instagram.com/p/bkr5IUh1xh/
http://instagram.com/p/bkr0XWB1xf/
http://instagram.com/p/bkrvwzB1xd/

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:10 am

Wow. Interesting. But a cool idea ...

The new smaller square size makes for a better Summer travel edition, and the beach theme fits right in. Also a shorter game to fit in between all that Summer time fun at the beach.

So, is it my imagination, or did they remove the stairs from TCMG standard board?Looks like somebody at Hasbro decided this was a bad idea, or too confusing then? Or perhaps somebody just forgot to switch on the stair layer in Photoshop. Or perhaps they are just trying to be consistent across all the editions in which the stairs don't work (like Big Bang Theory). Guess we'll find out when South Park arrives.

Also, there are no power/personality cards are there, as have been added to BBT edition?

The board LOOKS cheap (which says a lot), but the cards were always cheap. Do you mean they are even worse than the full-sized edition?

I do like that they are using new original artwork for the new board layout, and the beach setting reminds me of Super Cluedo. But I don't know how I feel about the mixed moving tiles, the ones in the middle of the board are rectangular mixed with squares on the sides, and wherever the rectangles are truncated. That's sure to cause some confusion. The angled layout is a nice alternative to the traditional layout on the reverse, sort of like Passport to Murder.

And no secret passages? How can it be clue without a secret passage!?

Curious how the intrigue card spaces are so far off the beaten path ... In order to get one of these cards, you have to go way out of your way, essential suspend a turn or two from guessing. Not sure those cards are that valuable, but certainly keeps the focus on traditional play rather than using the add-ons.

I do like the setting, sort of reminds me of Hitchcock and the Birds, or Strangers on a Train. However -- JET SKI RENTAL!? Seriously? I don't care how young these versions of the characters are, I don't want to think about Colonel Mustard or Mrs. white galavanting around on a jet ski. How about kayaks, or sailboats? Well they wouldn't be Hasbro if they didn't ruin it somehow. The arcade's a little dated, but harmless. Though what would have been wrong with a nice cafe, or hot dog stand instead? Frankly, given both the surf shop and the arcade, I don't see Mr. Black buying a beach house in this location. Perhaps he just bought the house and is pressuring the city council to change the zoning laws to prohibit the Arcade. Maybe Miss Scarlet owns the Arcade ... Hmmm the plot thickens ...

Oh, and one nit pick ... The side entrance to the beach from the pier is directly into the water. Guess this location was drawn at an unusually high tide? Well, OK two -- with lighting marking entrances and the shading on the ocean and amusement park, contrasted with the sunlight on the beach, it appears they couldn't make up their minds as to whether this was a day or night setting, so they sort of did both.

Curiously, Target ONLY shows DTS on their website for $9.99. My guess is that they simply haven't updated their artwork yet. Do you think this is a Target exclusive?

Oh, and just saw the first variation ... The Beach House has within it 6 unique locations -- porch, living room, bathroom, bedroom, dining room, and kitchen. If you add the parking lot, you've got 6 more rooms and a nice new updated version of Super Cluedo. You'll have to make some new cards though ... Now what to do about those secret passages? Just assume they are there?

Aaron21
Spy

Post by Aaron21 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:05 pm

They also added a wall between the bedroom and bathroom. They also renamed the Study the "Office"... I wonder why that is..
But it is dark upstairs and I am frightened of the dark. Will anyone go with me?

Frostbyte
Slueth

Post by Frostbyte » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:27 pm

ya, I'll take a pic of the mansion side board so you guys can see it better... I was so focused on the boardwalk side I didn't even notice the lack of stairs and the new bedroom wall lol.

I think this 2-sided board is a great solution to the Traditional vs. updated/fresh debate I have to assume the design team has among themselves. I just wish it was the *real* classic on the mansion side, and not such terrible quality.

Aaron21
Spy

Post by Aaron21 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:44 pm

And also Frostbyte I forgot to mention the Kitchen & Dining room is no longer connected either. :( I can also take pics if you wish.. :)

Other than that, this is probably the best idea and hasbro is getting close to the original concept.
But it is dark upstairs and I am frightened of the dark. Will anyone go with me?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Frostbyte wrote:I think this 2-sided board is a great solution to the Traditional vs. updated/fresh debate I have to assume the design team has among themselves. I just wish it was the *real* classic on the mansion side, and not such terrible quality.
The 2-sided board is great, except that one side will enevitably wear poorly, especially considering the low quality of this edition. Rubbing against a table, or playing surfaces exposed when stored, it's going to look worn much faster than a typical game.

I'm OK with the classic mansion update. I think its fine in the 21st century to include a bedroom, bathroom (two rooms that were often mentioned as lacking from the original layout), and garage in the standard edition, over a conservatory, and especially a ballroom. The libray and study always seemed redundant to me anyway. I just wish the characters were more interesting.

And Aaron, I'm a little sad they changed the name from study to office. I think they must have done that because of the poor education most teenagers get today in public schools. Maybe study sounds pretentious? Or do they just not understand that it is synonymous with home office?

As for separating the bedroom and bathroom, interesting. did they also close off the kitchen from the dining room?

Aaron21
Spy

Post by Aaron21 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:59 pm

Awwwwww I'm sorry your saddened by the change, but maybe it was just a temporary change, but yes I do agree with you about the lack of proper education these days! I'm glad I was born in 1991 where I got proper education as a kid and teenager. :)

Frostbyte
Slueth

Post by Frostbyte » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:09 am

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:09 am

Amazing! If true. But... why have they changed the movement spaces? Moving on a brick pattern might be a little confusing, mightn't it?
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:24 am

WarnerPlum wrote:why have they changed the movement spaces? Moving on a brick pattern might be a little confusing, mightn't it?
A LITTLE confusing? WTF? That's a bloody mess.

The net effect seems to be to reduce the number of spaces between things, and allows a sort of diagonal movement. Yet, they've sealed up the connecting rooms and eliminated the ability to pass between them in a single move (or was it just confusing?).

Seems odd. On the one hand they're trying to speed up the game, on the other they're trying to inhibit it. You suppose they learned all this from some sort of study groups, or some executive with nothing better to do is going with his gut?

On the artwork side, the colors are much richer and more vibrant, with deeper shadows. Note the blood red dining room in particular. I have to say, these changes are much more reminiscent of the 90s era editions. Many of the room labels have been moved around. The entry porch is now made of wood decking and has been simplified, along with wood siding rather than stucco (much more like a beach house). Note the columns are missing, as are the statues. Also, the garage is missing a car, and the motorcycle has been stowed inside. The games room has likewise been simplified, there is now more room for the pool table which has been squared to the walls and created a bit more breathing room, and the rug is gone. The bathroom has blue walls now. And it's hard to tell but the plants on the bedroom terrace look like they're missing, in fact a lot of the plants are missing all over. The wood flooring in the living room has gone from parquet to plank, and the Persian rug is missing, as well as the coffee table going from glass to wood, as has the dining room table. Its hard to tell, but the flooring in the dining room, bedroom and study may have also changed as well. And the center space looks like a dark scary room now. Overall, they seem to have de-mansion-a-fied it. It now looks much more like a typical suburban home.

Also, what happened to the Intrigue card spaces? Are those cards only for use with the beach theme now? Did they speed the game up too much? So then why reduce the number of spaces? Especially when the beach theme reduces the number of rooms presumably for a quicker game, with the fewer spaces, then remove the secret passages, and making the Intrigue cards so hard to get. Makes no sense ...

If nothing else, these changes shed some light on how piecemeal and complex the photoshop files are. The changes, while seemingly arbitrary, are evidently trivial to make.

Here's the original for comparison.

Frostbyte
Slueth

Post by Frostbyte » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:27 pm

Murder by Death wrote:Also, what happened to the Intrigue card spaces? Are those cards only for use with the beach theme now? Did they speed the game up too much?
As a matter of fact, they did speed up the game. In the new instructions, it says to place the following number of cards face-up for everyone to mark off, and then distributing the remainder cards:

3-Players = 6 cards up
4-Players = 6 cards up
5-Players = 3 cards up
6-Players = 6 cards up

This not only greatly speeds up the game, but ensures the fairness of ensuring all players start with the same number of cards. They do, however, also have the following distribution noted for those wanting to play a game more closely resembling the "classic" game rules (but still enforces equal distribution):

3-Players = 0 cards up
4-Players = 2 cards up
5-Players = 3 cards up
6-Players = 0 cards up

Also, gone from the rules is the 2-Player variant they included in the previous printing. And yes, the Intrigue card spaces are now only on the Boardwalk map.

Frostbyte
Slueth

Post by Frostbyte » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:41 pm

I'm really torn about the quality of this game...

On one hand, it allows the price to be $10, rather than $20, which increases the chance people will buy it over other games.

On the other hand, it's really a piece of junk :(

I guess as long as Clue Classic Edition from Winning Moves is available at places like Barnes & Nobel for people who want it, I can live with it.

And let's be honest... I'm just happy it's not DTS anymore, so I'm being a lot more forgiving than I would otherwise be haha.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:17 pm

Frostbyte wrote: it allows the price to be $10, rather than $20, which increases the chance people will buy it over other games.
Do you think that they are discontinuing the full sized game? This really seems like a Target exclusive. If this is a wholesale replacement, then I am quite disappointed.

Frostbyte
Slueth

Post by Frostbyte » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:55 am

Good question. I haven't seen it anywhere else yet, but it didn't have a sticker on it saying it was a target exclusive.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:21 am

Good god. I come around to check on things after a hiatus, and am met with this thing? I do like the new room art, but the connecting doors are missed. And those moving spaces? ...just, no.

The boardwalk side is an interesting idea, but I can't imagine when I'd play it. It seems, to me at least, Hasbro hasn't really made either game a shorter experience. One has 9 rooms with large spaces, the other cuts the rooms to 6 but has massive spaces. I would assume gameplay would take about the same amount of time with these little differences.

Granted, at only $10 I will probably pick one up so I have one my family will be willing to play with me (the boardwalk graphics should intrigue my mom, and the idea that it will play faster than a classic Clue gamer will also appeal to the household).
"But look what happened to the cook!"

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:57 am

Well, in seemingly no time at all, I managed to (very easily) find this game at my Target. I noticed it was the ONLY Clue game on the shelf, and also that there was a lot of work being done in the Toy & Games section. Perhaps it's a seasonal thing?

At any rate, here's a few more notes about this edition, for the curious:

The Box Back: is god-awful. Here's the text from the previous "new" edition (which for brevity, I shall refer to as the New edition):
One murder. Six suspects. It's the classic mystery game!

Reclusive millionaire Samuel Black's been murdered in his mansion! Now it's up to you to crack the case!

Question everything to unravel the mystery. Who did it? Where? And with what weapon?

Ransack the mansion for clues, ask cunning detective questions and leave no card unturned. Solve the murder first to win!
And now...the newest edition (which I'll call New2, mostly for kicks):
YOU'RE ON THE CASE IN THE ULTIMATE GAME OF WHO, WHAT, WHERE!

You've got the suspects, locations, and weapons. Now it's up to you to ID the murderer and solve the mystery!
Here is a link to a photo I snapped of the box backs, side-by-side: https://twitter.com/DSamuels90/status/3 ... 24/photo/1

The New edition featured an "intriguing" blend of the suspect portraits, weapons, and a close-up of a game-in-progress along with the above text to sell the game to consumers. The New2 has a LOT of wasted space, and offers only a small photo of the pieces essentially dumped on the board along with the Twitter-worthy description to sell itself. Maybe Hasbro is hoping Clue's brand recognition will be its biggest selling point. Let's assume it's parents/grandparents/distant elderly relatives still buying board games for the kids. In that case, the mere presence of CLUE on the box (and the logo does stand out nicely against all that ClipArt) should sell enough $10 games to bring Hasbro enough money to justify the probably $2 they spent making it (more on that later).

Inside the box: Open the box of the New2, and you're greeted with a miniature version of the same cardboard insert from the New game, but with a slight change in the text:
Yesterday, reclusive millionaire Samuel Black welcomed six guests into his mansion. Tonight, his friend Lord Gray invited the same guests to visit him on the nearby boardwalk by the sea.

Both gentlemen sought to reveal a startling truth:
each of the six guests is destined to serve a CLUE House to protect the world's secrets.

But before Black and Gray could reveal anything, they were murdered! Only the six guests could have committed the murders. Now it's up to you to decide which murder to investigate, and the follow the clues to solve the crime! Will you go to the mansion, or the boardwalk?
So...what?!? On top of the already shallow "CLUE House" elements, we now have the second murder of Black's friend, Lord Gray. What is a Lord doing on what would seem to be a very American boardwalk? Why does he want to meet these guests? Are Black and Gray somehow working together against these CLUE House secrets? And for that matter, exactly WHAT is the motive if the guests were unaware of their status as hairs to these oh-so-guarded secrets?

For the answers to these questions, you'll have to have an active, and flexible, imagination.

Contents: It's nice to see the old pawns back, though I was fond of the ? people from the New edition. I;m happy to report my copy has all six weapon tokens, so Frostbyte, it seems that was just a packaging fluke that brought you 2 revolvers.

The cards included with New2 seem as flimsy as the cards in the New game. I'm glad to see the red cards have been streamlined, but as was mentioned above, their placement on the Boardwalk is so far off the beaten path, you'd have to be DETERMINED to get one of those cards, rather than landing on/passing over a random square in your regular move.

The notepad is double-sided. The front is the same blue pad from the New game, though smaller in dimensions and a softer blue. The backside is in a pale red, with the WHERE? list edited to fit the new board.

The rulebook (no longer labeled as the "Game Guide") seems to be printed on the same magazine-like paper from the New game. The differences are minor, reflecting changes in gameplay and in contents.

The board is where the game EARNS its low-end price tag. It's made of that thick cardboard you'd expect a kid's puzzle to be printed on, and boy does it feel FLIMSY. On top of that, the board does not lie flat when unfolded, so the first players will have to stick the open board under a large book for a while to even be able to play the game. Now, cheap boards are nothing new in games (I've seen vintage foreign editions of Monopoly with what were essentially paper boards folded into the boxes). But this is 2013, and gameboards should be an exact science by now: light enough to carry around in the box, but heavy enough to hold itself open during play & to withstand repeated use. I'm not worried about the surfaces scratching, as they seem no more susceptible to wear & tear than any board game printed in the 80s through...well, now, I guess.

And finally (I promise)...the price: Having now gone to the store to buy the game, searched the shelves for the game, and opened the box to inspect the pieces, I think I can understand why Hasbro has relaunched Clue in a kind of bargain package. I don't think Parker Brothers/Waddington's ever intended for their children's & family toys/games to become cultural icons, with every edition printed considered a prime possession for collectors. They were (still are) toys. You buy a kid a Clue game when he's 8. Assuming this kid has siblings and the household has a regular Family Game Night (which Hasbro used to run tons of TV ads for), the game will, within 5 years, start to be pretty worn. It's possible the notepads will all be used up, resulting in improvised note-keeping methods, or pages of scanned & printed sheets being stuffed into the box. And by the time the kid is 12, maybe even 13? They're over their board games. They've moved on to the latest & greatest videogame console. So mom & dad provided a few years of old-fashioned entertainment for $10 and some copy paper. No big deal then to toss the entire game into a recycling bin or drop it off at the nearest Goodwill type store. Eventually, this game being made a cheaply as it has been, some owner will find it's missing pieces, or the box & board are so worn they're being held together will all kinds of tape. So they head out to the local toy store and decide to invest in the shiny, newer copy on the shelf. Another $10 for Hasbro, and another few years entertainment for the family.

We like to collect Clue games, but we're a small section of the world's population. I would bet most people who are aware of board games simply want to play the game, not just catalogue it and look at it every now and then. And if cheaper parts means a lower price tag for the general mass consumer, then I'm happy more people will be able to enjoy these games (and maybe inspire another generation of collectors to seek out our collections when we've long since left them behind).

---

Another theory I have about the cheap Clue game, though it's less hopeful than my hypothetical family above: I noticed this New2 Clue game was the ONLY Clue game at my Target. Not even a Junior version was anywhere to be seen. Meanwhile, a plethora of Monopoly games were scattered around the shelf (I can recall standard Monopoly, a standard edition w/limited edition bonus tokens, electronic banking edition, Millionaire edition, Junior, Hotels, and various add-ons to the Monopoly Hotels brand). It's not a pleasant thought, but it's possible (and purely speculation on my part) that Clue is not a big brand name for Hasbro anymore. The official website for the game wasn't updated for years, and now http://www.hasbro.com/clue leads only to search results for current products. The first major overhaul (Discover the Secrets) was a major flop thanks to the coverage the unwelcome changes got online and even in occasional print articles. The second overhaul (to market the game as the Classic grandma loved, but with added elements to keep the game fresh) was better received...but then what? The CLUE Houses theme was never expanded upon beyond the HUB Network's serial. It's resurfaced only (as far as I can tell) in the NERF-style shooter game, not exactly an ideal marriage of concepts. Perhaps, then, with Clue not having the same brand power as Monopoly (the only boardgame brand featured on the banner at the top of Hasbro's homepage ) Hasbro has decided it's time to stop strip the game down to a no-frills product the company can produce cheaply (in the USA, according to a proud emblem on the front of the box) & sell in multiple quantities either due to brand recognition by gift-buyers, or to the lower price making the product more appealing to a shopper on a budget. I think the days of Hasbro providing us with our Clue fix are drawing to an unglamorous end, and the consumers & collectors who want a product they can be proud to display & show off will have to pay the premium prices of Winning Moves, Restoration Hardware, and any other company which may decide to licence the brand from Hasbro to create their own "collector's" product (case in point, the plethora of TV show tie-tins and themed editions of Clue that have cropped up in recent years). Perhaps Clue will only make money for Hasbro if they keep it as a brand they licence out to other manufacturers, while still producing an inexpensive game as long as any demand for one exists.

And on that long-winded note, I'm going to apologise for any typos, my lack of brevity, and go to bed (long day, and it's going on 3 AM here).

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:32 am

alwaysPeacock wrote:Yesterday, reclusive millionaire Samuel Black welcomed six guests into his mansion. Tonight, his friend Lord Gray invited the same guests to visit him on the nearby boardwalk by the sea.

These guys at Hasbro are COMPLETE idiots.

So last night Lord Gray's buddy Black gets killed by one of the six guests he invites to his house the next day, and he's not concerned? The police don't detain them? And what, they spend the night solving Black's murder, then with the knowledge of the killer among them, they all casually go to Gray's house and do it all over again with a potentially different murderer?

Frankly, it never occurred to me to link the two locations with a single narrative. It's one or the other. Doing so is just asinine. And perpetuating this "House of Clue" nonsense without developing it is pointless and confusing.

I'm also stunned that they have this brand new location, as well as two in one box, yet they only show the old location with so much wasted space.

Thanks for the thorough evaluation.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:34 pm

Murder by Death,

You bring a valid argument. It does seem rather silly to have that happen.

While it may not have been the greatest artwork, and it certainly had it's flaws, I'm truly starting to believe that the 2002 edition and it's series of prequels was the best that Hasbro had to offer. It's interesting that they started with suspect motives and bios in the original Clue game, but kept expanding it, and, in an interesting way, made time go in reverse. Clue FX takes place PRIOR to the events that take place in the traditional board game, and we were introduced to new characters and two new suspects. You were finally playing as a "detective" of sorts and not just one of the people who could potentially be a killer, a slight flaw in the game really. Why would anyone announce themselves as the murderer? Clue Mysteries and the DVD game went beyond that created smaller, less life-in-prison-y mysteries, and while they may have been more childish, they were still fleshed out a little more.

I have absolutely ZERO idea what the house of Clue is. I don't know or care why each game has a different set of characters but they are given color aliases (although Peacock isn't really a color). The 2002 series suffered somewhat in terms of art (it wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't godawful) and from being too childish, but it was an actual story. It had a plot that, while somewhat contrived, was able to followed and made sense within it's own narrative structure. These new games seem to lack that. They still have the bios, which is fine, but the story itself seems half@ssed. They seem cobbled together with little to no thought put in them.

The other major problem I have with these games is they are so focused on being modern. They modernized the board, they modernized the look of the characters, which is fine. It's something we've seen throughout the series of Clue games. But the problem with making something look modern is that, eventually, it looks really dated.

Take for instance the 1992 edition. To me, there is no question that that game is supposed to take place in the late 80s/early 90s. Just look at Mrs. Peacock's shoulder pads. However, the game combined the present day look with old school charm. The characters weren't wearing Jinkos, they were in elegant formal wear. The mansion didn't include a room with a giant tube TV, it was still an old school style. That actually helps with the nostalgia factor later on. Making everything modern just dates the game, not improves it.

Also, first time posting in a few months, don't know how often I will, but good to be back :)

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:28 pm

I love the series of games that came out in the early 2000s. The DVD game's board is still one of my favorite Clue boards (useless for a standard game, but very nice to look at).

Like you said, the storyline established in those games was the best part. Now it's like a really bad fanfiction with all this CLUE Houses crap. Even the iPhone/Android mobile game fleshes out the suspects better.

I could live with the CLUE House crap if Hasbro would just do SOMETHING with it! Like I said before, I'm not holding out much hope for Hasbro anymore. If they happen to release some special edition in coming years that's worth the $30/+ pricetag they'd slap on it, I'll consider adding it to a Christmas list. Otherwise, I'll save my money for the gift editions Winning Moves/Restoration Hardware might release (I'm kind of hoping the Giant edition makes another appearance, just because it would look so cool on permanent display).

historicchange
Suspect

Post by historicchange » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:36 pm

I just wanted to chime in about the new new clue version. My daughter wanted the new version for her birthday. We are all huge (original) clue fans. We also collect all variations and board changes since the original. Or fav is the cartoony 1960's version played with the 70's 2 dice rule change, but standard rules other than that. When discover the secrets came out we were absolutely appalled by it. It was obvious even to my 7 year old daughter when she said, "Hasbro killed clue, with Discover the Secrets, in Target" :) So, we thought there was a ray of hope with this new new version we've been waiting to hit our local walmart. It finally arrived about 2 weeks ago right in time for her birthday and discover the secrets was off the shelf (yay)! Well, we just went to walmart to obtain one... so we walked to where it was last week... no clue. Not even the shelf tag was there! So we checked the clearance isle and there the new new version sat at less than half price. They were running it on clearance with no replacement on the shelves. One of the top 10 board games of all time... and they replaced it with an Angry Birds derivative with no shelf tag to replace it. This is VERY conspicuous. We got it home and opened it, and the board is of EXTREMELY low quality and the cards are the worst quality clue cards that I've ever seen. I can print better cards on card-stock on my inkjet printer. But I was relieved to see NO QUESTION MARKS on the mansion side of the board which completely moves away from discover the secrets, and also the colorized pawns are back. On the flip side of the low quality board are 6 new rooms (areas) with cards for them, along with 2 question marks for the 3 "bonus cards" that was included. I personally believe this is to ease the transition from discover the secrets back to the original clue format. This is probably not going to be a version that we actually will play, but it is a step in the right direction for Hasbro to restore Clue to it's original glory. Hopefully the next board we see will be the familiar Clue we've all grown to love and not these bastardized versions of Master Detective. You do know that all of these changes started from elements introduced in Master Detective, right? :) But anyway... If you're a clue collector, I'd grab this before it's gone for good, it seems very transient. If you are buying a Clue game to play... get a real clue game from the 50's-70's off of ebay. :)
Cheers!