Have we seen this Cluedo box cover before?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:52 pm

Following the dining room on the previous page, up next we have the Kitchen and Study. Two more traditional rooms.

The Kitchen in this edition has to be one of my favorite rooms. The subtle shadows all around give this otherwise stark, contemporary kitchen a classic moody feel. And the attention to detail again is outstanding. Now if only you could close it off from the dining room, so your guests invited to your lavish dinner party don't have to watch the catering staff preparing their next course ...

The Study is another story. On the one hand we have the study back, and it is lavishly designed with many excellent details. On the other, I find the stone floors a little odd, especially since the study is accessed from the 2nd floor. Not that such things can't exist, it's just a bit odd. Part of me wonders whether the Study wasn't meant to be on the first floor, with an entrance facing the center. If so, then the stairs may have also been a late addition, as the layout works perfectly well without them. Frankly I would have preferred a ground floor entrance as the doors for the 2nd floor rooms are all too close together for my taste, as we will see next. All things considered, it's a welcome return to the standard game.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:30 am

Now for the two most controversial rooms in this new edition: The Bedroom and Bathroom. Along with the Study, these three rooms comprise the first ever second floor in a standard edition Clue/do Game (and I believe we have only ever seen this before in any Clue/do game in the Family Guy edition). As such, a set of stairs comprise 4 spaces on the board. However, I'm not sure the stairs are delineated well enough to avoid confusion. Hopefully not. Nevertheless, I do like the idea of stairs and a second floor in the game. The only nit pick I have with the concept is it leads to speculation about what rooms are beneath the upstairs rooms. You will note that the outside light cast from the windows of the 2nd floor rooms is depicted identically to that of the other ground floor rooms, with no indication of any other lighting coming from beneath them. Now this could be because any rooms below which are not used in the game are dark, perhaps locked if you will. One could also conjecture that there are no rooms beneath these upper floor rooms, and that they are cantilevered overhangs that serve as a covered patio below. Unfortunately, there's no logical access to it, nor windows from the central hall that cast light onto it. So perhaps the most logical explanation is to take the stairway literally, and rather than a real second story, it is instead only 7 steps, about a 3-4 foot elevation, like a split level home with nothing underneath but a crawlspace (or perhaps access to the secret tunnels). THis would also help explain the lighting, and make the stone floor in the study a little more plausible. Then again, it completely voids any relationship with the house pictured on the box, though that's already been rendered moot by the placement of the garage and absence of front windows.

As I said above, the stairs may have been an afterthought since the exterior lighting is wrong for a second floor, and more importantly the doors for the Study, Bathroom, and Bedroom are unusually clustered together. The more I look at this layout and the board in general, the more I think two dice is overkill. Either way, this is the situation, and the idea of a bedroom adjacent office space is a good one, especially if it were used to help separate it from the Library, which otherwise serves essentially the same purpose. Unfortunately in this case the Library is eschewed in this edition. Oh well, one out of two is better than an Observatory any day. However, I had been suffering under the impression that all the adjacent rooms opened into each other -- they don't. The Bathroom and Bedroom are the only two other rooms that do this, besides the Dining Room and Kitchen. For the others they just removed the hallways which aside from some being used to start the game, were almost never used. So I can live with that.

Both rooms are very well done. But I do have a hard time wrapping my head around them. This is the first official Clue/do game, at least in the English language, to depict a bathroom and a bedroom. Granted Discover The Secrets hinted at a bedroom with the Guest House. So this is an improvement, and people have been questioning why there wasn't one for years. So if you don't like the result, I guess the moral is be careful what you wish for. I have less problem with the bedroom. It looks like it belongs in a Clue game. The balcony is a nice touch. The only real problem I have with the bedroom is that the closet is open to the room, and that seems very unlike Clue to me. It also seems like another tiny room from which to make a suggestion: "it was Green with the rope in the closet"! Come out of the closet already Mr. green ... Plus I can't help wondering why they din't put the secret passage in it. If they had put a nice armoire there instead of a walk-in closet would have helped considerably on many levels -- I mean really ... This little nook is mr. Boddy's/Dr. Black's only closet!? Not in the Clue I imagine ... I also wonder why there isn't a door between the bedroom and the bathroom, since there's plenty of room for one and would help differentiate it from say the closet as part of the Bedroom, though the labeling makes this pretty obvious. But as I mentioned of the kitchen and dining room, regardless of any privacy concerns, at a minimum they should maintain a standard convention of what constitutes a doorway boundary. And of course the Escher-like problem persists here, though it's not as noticeable since only one side of the door divides two walls

Speaking of which, the bathroom is likewise very well done. It seems worthy of Clue, but the rubber ducky and the old gym sock kind of ruin all the effort they put into the marble fixtures. And, as I mentioned before, the concept is a little outside the Clue I'm used to. I don't know maybe I just have to get used to the idea, but "Colonel Mustard with the Lead Pipe in the Bathroom" is just not something I'm comfortable saying yet ... Perhaps if this was a much more lavish bathroom with an old fashioned tub in the center of the room, with a balcony, gauzy drapes fluttering in the breeze, and a toilet that wasn't dead center of the room (e.g. in it's own separate stall), perhaps I would be more apt to accept it in Clue. My nit pick here is to question why the bathroom is the only room with an asymmetrical design -- an indentation on the exterior of the shared study wall. Why not just continue the wall down the crease making the bathroom a perfect rectangle? Just seems odd, especially since the bathtub must be cut around it.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:57 am, edited 9 times in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:43 am

Moving on around the board, we now land in the Game Room.

As has been pointed out before, the game room is seriously cluttered. Did they honestly need a bar, and a sitting area, and a separate TV viewing area with a giant screen TV you would have trouble even viewing from that distance? Whoever was in charge of designing this room, has obviously never played billiards before, either. Moreover the table, and everything else in the room is arranged at such odd angles, that nothing looks like it belongs. And whatever is going on with the exterior lawn and stonework doesn't help. I'm not a big fan of the wicker either, but that's the least of the problems. You'll note too that the shading behind the wicker sofa is not handled correctly. While I have no problem with turning the Billiard Room into a Game Room, this effort is the worst of all the rooms in my opinion, and is a real let down for me as the Billiard Room is always one of my favorites. I also don't really care for the color scheme here, and don't feel as though it blends very well with the rest of the colors used in the other rooms, which as I mentioned earlier detracts from the overall aesthetic of the other detailed work throughout.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:10 am

Almost around the board now, we have the Garage. Conceptually, this is yet another room from Master Detective and Super Cluedo which should not bother anybody.

However, much like the Game Room, the Garage seems poorly thought out. The first question I have is, why are the doors open? The second question is, why do they open like that? Obviously so a person entering the courtyard cannot just enter the garage directly on their next move!! The next question I have is why does he have two almost identical sports cars -- granted one is a convertible, but ... I suppose that makes him look wealthy since his house is not very opulent at the scale it's presented (then again he might live in a very desirable area where land is at a premium). I don't mind the motorcycle, but the jet ski is just too much. We get it, the guy is wealthy (and which sports car has the trailer hitch?). And like the Game Room, everything seems crammed in there with no room to move around -- and the convertible is parked over the secret passage door, so how did they get it open? And the other car is parked so as to prevent closing the door into the house. Honestly, I really want to like the Garage, and I do, but the questions the poor design raises simply take all the fun out of it. But at least we know where they got the wrench!

P.S., anybody know what the item is in the front seat of the convertible? Also wondering what can be seen in the reflections from above the cars.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:44 am

And finally, the "Start/Finish" room, for lack of a better name. As you may be aware, in this edition, all the players start in the middle a la Master Detective and Super Cluedo. So again, this should not bother anyone. However, there's not nearly enough room for all six suspects and all of the weapons as the rules instruct to start.

But, the detail for what is essentially an elaborate starting space is quite nice. you can also see how nice the moving space tiles look across the entire board. Really lovely and thoughtful textures for all the flooring used throughout. However, as a room it doesn't really make ANY sense. At least in Master Detective and Super Cluedo, the room served a purpose in the middle of the house, as a coat closet or a staircase (Escher-like though it may be). In fact why does it even have to be a room? Why not just a space on the board, defined by the elaborate tile work? But in this edition, it is just an empty room with four doors. Two of which are ridiculously close to two rooms, making me wonder why they even have the front and back doors. So, despite the lack of detail, I suppose it makes the most sense as a closet ... with four doors (cause when you need to get out of the house you can never get your coat fast enough). I guess, imagine there are a bunch of coat hangers on the walls ... with no coats on them. I never thought I would miss the swimming pool from Discover The Secrets. Honestly, I just don't know what this room should or could be in a real house. So feel free to start speculating!

Oh, and can you pass through it as a shortcut space? The rules state you can't pass through a room on a single turn but must stop and ask a question, so do you just lose a turn, or can you suggest for any room? Clearly Hasbro didn't think this through ...

And I just noticed that if you turn it on its side, it looks like a Celtic cross.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:21 pm

Thank you for the close up pictures Murder by Death, I love that I get to see such beautiful images of the board. I like the general layout, though I agree with most if not all of what you say about it. I like the general concept of a revamped board, and the layout of this is nice. But I do think it's too modern. And I think vintage is in, so it surprises me that they went so far in the opposite direction. The messiness of the rooms bothers me, but I'm kind of a neat freak. I would NEVER just leave shoes lying around. While this board does look like an improvement over DTS, I think a different setting would have worked better.

I don't get the "House of..." it seems a little Clue Jr-ish to me. And If it doesn't relate to the original characters, meaning that the characters from this game are not connected to the original six from the classic game, then why not just use colors? Who wants to be from the House of Plum? And how does that related to technology or whatever BS they're trying to say? Peacocks are often called proud, but would anyone call a peacock powerful? Is that the best animal to compare the house (whatever the "house" is) that holds the secrets of power? If you're coming up with a powerful animal, I don't think Peacock jumps to most people's minds right away. I'm willing to bet it doesn't come in the top 20 of powerful animals.

I understand the game should adapt and change, I don't think anyone of here would say that there is an edition that is flawless. Why else would we create so many of our own? We have an idea of perfection in our heads, of how it "should be," but this game seems to hit fewer checks than I personally would like for a revamp, but seems to be getting slightly closer than DTS.

Aaron21
Spy

Post by Aaron21 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:48 pm

Murder By Death.. I checked if there are any kind of diffenences between them, and surprisingly there ARE some minor differences between the 2. The first is the envolopes and detective pads. The Uk envelope is more of a Manila Colorado and the Us envelope is about the same but has a more whiter Color and the UK detective pad had full color around the edges and the US its only half. Also I did notice the wording for the Game room the UK shows it on the board as GAMES ROOM but as you know in the Us its shown as Game Room, finally the middle CLUEDO looks to be going across that room but as the CLUE it is pefectly fit in the box in the room. which I thought was insteresting. I will keep looking but that's all I noticed
But it is dark upstairs and I am frightened of the dark. Will anyone go with me?

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:15 am

Going by these room close-ups, I do believe this edition might depict the most wine bottles/glasses on a single board. With all those winos running about the house, it's no wonder the place is such a mess & someone wound up dead. ;)
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:30 pm

Niteshade007 wrote:I do think it's too modern. And I think vintage is in, so it surprises me that they went so far in the opposite direction.
Some rooms definitely skew too modern, especially where flat screen TVs and computers are evident. For the most part however, 80% of the rooms could be in a house from any post WW I era. Although I have no idea what they were thinking with those stereo speakers in the living room. The 1970s is calling, they want their speakers back ...
But I totally agree with you about nostalgia being in, I'm just not sure vintage is for the period you are thinking for Clue. What I'm seeing is a nostalgia for the 70s, vinyl, Polaroids, typewriters, etc. That said, ever since I read that the original Clue Movie was to be set in Florida in the 50s, I've wanted to see that kind of Southern Florida Art Deco setting, with palm prints and 50s era beach stylings. But in general I could use a little less technology -- let's just assume the TVs are in cabinets, speakers hidden behind drapes, and computers are laptops and are in drawers.
Aaron21 wrote: I checked if there are any kind of diffenences between them, and surprisingly there ARE some minor differences between the 2.
Actually not so surprising. The paper products are exactly what I would expect to be different, as these would likely be printed in the local languages on local stock and added to the assembled games last before they are shrink-wrapped with local marketing (in the US there's a "watch the HUB" sticker) and distributed. Since each territories board will have different branding and/or languages, its easy to customize for local spellings. I'm sure you are aware for years the UK version of the lead pipe was "lead piping", and ballroom, was two words "ball room". Obviously the British have such a specific way of speaking that the US moniker for Game Room needed to be changed. As far as the Cluedo label is concerned, due to the fact it has two more letters, it is always smaller and takes up slightly more room on the board. Never has this been more evident than the Franklin Mint Cluedo edition which is stamped on the murder cards book, which clearly has a raised area without any texture that was intended for the Clue logo.
alwaysPeacock wrote:Going by these room close-ups, I do believe this edition might depict the most wine bottles/glasses on a single board.
LOL. great observation, I never really thought about it. But you know, there's only one room in the entire house without a wine glass, or a bottle, and that's the garage (maybe there's one inside the hard top). Oh, and the Courtyard, which isn't really a room, anyway. Hilarious. Yeah that's responsible for a family game. But I suppose all that drinking explains why the bed looks like its been used, and the bathtub is full of water -- I had to back to read the premise again, and it just says Black invited them to his house, which means it could have been an all day affair where these drunk kids trashed the place. LOL this may well be the first Clue game designed by fraternity boys ...

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:10 pm

I decided to count (because I have nothing better to do) the wine bottles & glasses scattered about the house. Some of the bottles might contain other liquids (sparkling water?), but come on...
  • Game Room: 11 glasses, 7 bottles
  • Bedroom: 1 glass
  • Study: 3 glasses, 1 bottle
  • Kitchen: 4 glasses, 2 bottles
  • Dining Room: 8 glasses, 4 bottles
  • Living Room: 2 glasses
Final tally: 29 glasses and 14 bottles.

This is my kind of house!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:00 pm

There is a glass in the bathroom, sitting on the edge of the tub. May have to enlarge to see it ...

So, 30 glasses!

Let's see that's 7 guests, so roughly 4 glasses per guest, with at least two guests getting 5!!

And 14 bottles, assuming a standard 750ml bottle, that's roughly 51 ounces per guest, or about 17 three ounce drinks per guest. Only three glasses of wine would put most of the guests over the legal limit within an hour. They've all had on average 6x that amount.

And I still haven't ruled out the possibility of a bottle being inside the coupe in the garage, as well as at least one stashed in the bushes in the courtyard. Possibly one under the bed as well. And check this for me ... is there another bottle in the trashcan of the Study!?

By the way, I agree, and am absolutely certain some of those bottles are hard liquor, which is what would be contained in those c0cktail glasses, not mineral water (unless the murderer drank mineral water all night to stay lucid). Plus there are several coffee cups about which we cannot discount the possibility that they have been "Irish-ed up", thus adding to the alcohol consumed.

Thanks for that ... it never occurred to me to count them all. But now that you have, it dawns on me how the murderer could have gotten away with it in a house full of guests (especially using the pistol) --the murderer drank mineral water (which would also increase the alcohol intake for the rest)! So while everyone else was passed out, including the host, the murderer was able to commit the crime unobserved, and with little resistance. This explains how old Mrs. White could otherwise use the rope to subdue her employer as well.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:37 pm

The vague storyline for this edition becomes much more interesting with the addition of all the liquor & wine made available to the guests. Also makes it more likely that the murderer could get away with it with the rest of the house, maybe even the victim, dead drunk.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:40 pm

Also, those chairs in the Game Room are WAY too close to a TV of that size. Not only is it impossible for someone sitting there to take in the whole picture, but sitting that close to such a large screen would cause the biggest headaches.

But why am I trying to apply real-world logic to the Clue world when the game only NOW added a practical bathroom & bedroom to the house?

Green
Detective

Post by Green » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:33 am

alwaysPeacock wrote:Also makes it more likely that the murderer could get away with it with the rest of the house, maybe even the victim, dead drunk.
Dead right.

cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:20 pm

I just got mine in the mail today, I HATE the new story line. But it seems to be inching back to the old ways of clue, which I'm very happy about.
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:57 pm

Green wrote:
alwaysPeacock wrote:Also makes it more likely that the murderer could get away with it with the rest of the house, maybe even the victim, dead drunk.
Dead right.
^ Like

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:18 am

cluedoking123 wrote:I just got mine in the mail today, I HATE the new story line. But it seems to be inching back to the old ways of clue, which I'm very happy about.
I agree, I'm keen on the suspects or the storyline myself. But if you look past that, it seems a pretty decent game.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Black wrote:
cluedoking123 wrote:I just got mine in the mail today, I HATE the new story line. But it seems to be inching back to the old ways of clue, which I'm very happy about.
I agree, I'm keen on the suspects or the storyline myself. But if you look past that, it seems a pretty decent game.
Well the storyline is easy to ignore. Just flip the cardboard insert upside down and the storyline is gone for good.

As for the suspects, I just realized something, you could literally play this game with almost any set of clue cards. Some of the rooms would have to be changed, which could be done by simply taping stickers across the old room names, or better yet, change them on the board. Lets see:

Hall -- Courtyard
Lounge -- Living Room
Dining Room -- Dining Room
Kitchen -- Kitchen
Ball Room -- Bedroom
Conservatory -- Garage
Billiard Room -- Game Room
Library -- Bathroom
Study -- Study

I feel like Lounge and Living Room are interchangeable enough not to change them, and the same for the Billiard Room and Game Room. That means, only about 4 rooms that have to be modified, of course you could modify all 6. The Hall/Courtyard is obvious, and the Conservatory/Garage seems obvious as both are open to the outside. I made the Bathroom the library because that's how many people use it -- stocked with reading material as well. And obviously the bedroom as "Ball" room takes on a whole new meaning ...
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:35 pm

If that a cat on the island in the kitchen? If so, well done Hasbro board artwork people!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:53 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:If that a cat on the island in the kitchen? If so, well done Hasbro board artwork people!
haha ... You beat me to it. I was going to post a "Where's Waldo" question asking if anybody could find Mr. Black's cat.

I have a higher resolution image I'll post where you can see the cat clearly in more detail (and I believe wearing a diamond studded collar).