Have we seen this Cluedo box cover before?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:20 pm

As a long time admirer of the lady in blue (points to username), I'm quite pleased with what I've seen of the new Peacock. She looks like the kind of young woman who could grow up to become the "classic" Mrs. Peacock.

But a black woman named "White." Really, Hasbro? That was cute before vaudeville died.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:08 pm

Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron21
Spy

Post by Aaron21 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:53 pm

BMD! your killing me friend! Why tourture me with this awesome image! :lol: :D
But it is dark upstairs and I am frightened of the dark. Will anyone go with me?

Aaron21
Spy

Post by Aaron21 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:29 am

Black wrote:I played the two player game with the 2002 version and it works.

The solutions were:

Mrs. White - Lead Pipe - Billiard Room

Miss Scarlet - Revolver - Ballroom
I wonder if this works with all of them, even the master detective? :? :?:
But it is dark upstairs and I am frightened of the dark. Will anyone go with me?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:58 pm

Sure. It's a pretty standard 2 person derivative that people have been doing for many years. Check out BoardGameGeek for several ideas of standard rule variations. This is just the first time it has been "official" as published by the copyright owners. I haven't compared them, but I'll bet Hasbro changed the public domain rule variations just enough and tried to patent them.

Aaron21
Spy

Post by Aaron21 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:07 am

I will be keeping on eye for this now that I found this note on the Target Clue DTS detail page..

Note: Prices, promotions, styles and availability may vary by store and online. We constantly strive to provide you with accurate item availability information, but because item quantities are constantly changing, the inventory information provided here is only an approximate indication of an item's in-stock status and an item's availability cannot be guaranteed. Viewed on: 08/08/12

Store Item Number (DPCI): 087-10-1638
Murder by Death wrote:I don't think that's accurate. It's on the Hasbro US website, so it's just a matter of time until stock reaches US stores. We had this exact same thing happen with the Clue "Suspect" card game. It appeared at a few isolated Target stores around the country, and was a good 3 months or so before it arrived everywhere. Meanwhile, it was widely available in Europe (which oddly used the US "Clue" brand in most of the advertisements, despite actually being Cluedo -- which may be the same thing you are swing in the eBay listings now). I would definitely not pay a penny more than I had to for a new Clue game, which might wind up being liquidated and discounted within 6 months, like Secrets In Paris, or Spies, depending on how well it sells.

http://www.hasbro.com/shop/details.cfm? ... A30F:en_US
:wink:

chaostheory1489
Private Eye

Post by chaostheory1489 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:39 am

I just bought the game from Walmart (it wasn't at Target the last time I checked), and it was fairly cheap at just $20.

My first impression is that this is a beautiful game. Most of the details of the game's appearance, rules, etc, have already been spelled out in this thread, and I can see how some people wouldn't like all the changes, but I'm on board.

One thing that I don't think has been said yet is that the Bonus Cards (which are just basic things like "add 6 to your die roll" or "make an extra suggestion") are just there to give you something to do on your turn if you can't make it to a room. I haven't played it yet, but I feel like that would make the game move quicker and be more consistently interesting.

I also like the card designs, and I think the character pieces are definitely a design we've never seen before. I can see some people not liking them, but there's nothing wrong with a little variation every now and then.

Overall, it's everything Discover the Secrets should've been, and even though Clue is always best when it's set during the 20s/30s, I think this is a worthy addition to the series. (The only thing I don't like is that they uses the Houses from the miniseries, but don't actually get them right, and they don't make a whole lot of sense.)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:21 pm

Yes, you are correct. For purchase in store only, but in a quick search of local stores, I found it was in stock at many.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Clue-Game/21677848

Not listed on the Target website at all, or ToysRUs.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:58 pm

From the Walmart online listing:
WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD--This toy is or contains a small ball. Not for children under 3 yrs.
This made me chuckle.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:20 am

I just realized something ...

I believe "Discover The Secrets" is going away and being replaced by "The Classic Mystery Game"

WalMart only lists The Classic Mystery Game on their website. I went to a Walmart store that was supposed to have it in stock, and all they had was Discover The Secrets. Another store had numerous copies of the classic mystery game, and very few of DTS. Yet another only had TCMG. It looks like Walmart is lumping both games into the same product offering -- in other words, they consider it the same game for sales purposes, suggesting one is replacing the other.

Then there's the new Sherlock Cluedo -- anybody notice it is branded Cluedo The Classic Mystery Game? This suggests it is the new marketing angle, with "Discover the ..." tag line being phased out.

Could this really be the end of Discover The Secrets?
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron21
Spy

Post by Aaron21 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:23 am

NICE catch MBD! and I hope its the end of DTS. its been around long enough!

Our site said Stores only to. And had this next to it! .. Limited stock in your local Billings store.

Hmm I might check if this is there even though I have the Cluedo already....I might buy this one to.... even Though its the same game but with a Uk name..

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Aaron21 wrote: Our site said Stores only to. And had this next to it! .. Limited stock in your local Billings store.

Hmm I might check if this is there even though I have the Cluedo already....I might buy this one to.... even Though its the same game but with a Uk name..
Yeah, not sure how far the store is from you or how often you shop Walmart, but if it's distant or infrequent, call first. I went to my local store, which is a drive and it said "limited stock" as well. When I got there I found about 3 copies of the DTS version, and none of the new game.

My guess is, "limited stock" means the last of the DTS version. Then again on the stores that said "in stock", I found out of the four I checked, that only two had the new game, the others had as many as 8 copies of the DTS edition.

This is why I believe that they are selling out of the DTS and Hasbro is shipping e new edition as a replacement. To the store, it's the same game, there's no difference. This also explains why Hasbro listed it on their site, but the game had not yet shown up anywhere except odd little mom and pop stores ... It was only being shipped out when the major stores ran low on the DTS editions. and of course Hasbro maintains it on their site in an effort to sell the remaining stock.

I could be totally wrong, but certainly the evidence so far seems to support this ...

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:32 pm

AMAZON HAS IT!

But they call it "the Ultimate Mystery Game" for some strange reason (is it possible Hasbro originally called it this and later changed it?) and it comes up pretty far down a search for Clue games (around 45th). Still $21 with free shipping is not bad.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008PQFWUE

Aaron21
Spy

Post by Aaron21 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:43 am

I did stop by all 3 stores Wal Mart, K mart and Target and to my surprise Wal mart didn't have it yet but only had 2 DTS LEFT! Since I already knew K mart & Target didn't have it I checked to see how many DTS had left and AGAIN! BOTH STORES had 2 left so I agree this looks like a sad end to DTS! and I must say Its about time! Lol. But now I have this with US and UK title! Just courious to see IF there ARE any difference in parts! So I will let you know if there is... as I said IF ANY lol! :-)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:59 pm

Aaron, I would be surprised if there are any major differences (or minor ones for that matter). Since Hasbro owns everything, aside from printing the different graphics, I would expect the packaging to be identical to save money.

That said, there was a time when the identical Cuedo products seemed to be packaged in a vastly superior fashion to the US Clue versions. Even some Canadian editions seemed to be much nicer (I reference specifically the 1972/79 Clue edition). So much so that I actually started a thread about it. And this was definitely true for the mid-1990s through late 2000s, presumably before Hasbro consolidated their worldwide empire and fully merging in Waddingtons. But I also think the Europeans were used to and expected a higher standard than in the US.

I never saw a Cluedo edition of Discover the Secrets, but the US edition was just a cardboard box with all the contents thrown into an empty space on the side of the game board platform/insert. Other contemporary Cluedo editions, such as the Simpsons 2nd edition game, had ergonomically designed plastic inserts, while the US counterparts were just boxes and cardboard.

I am quite pleased now that I have my US Clue edition of the Classic Mystery Game, to find a nice plastic organizing tray, reminiscent of the late 90s Cluedo boxes. That alone suggests the Clue and cluedo editions are going to be identical. The box, and all the cardboard platforms are covered in nice paper/printing (so little exposed bare cardboard), and all the seams are well taped so the cardboard doesn't just fall apart. The weapons tokens are identical to the standard classic set, pre-DTS. This alone is commendable as the DTS set were entirely too tiny. I'm actually surprised they changed the weapons at all, though it probably had something to do with Trademarks. Of course calling the pepper box revolver a pistol is a bit strange, but since all revolvers are pistols this is technically accurate. Continuing to use the pepper box revolver is the real mystery. Since Clue has a legacy of using a perfectly serviceable automatic pistol, it's mind boggling that in an otherwise updated edition they didn't use a more modern alternative.

The board stock is of medium quality, nothing special. The playing cards are absolutely bottom line cheap garbage. Shuffling them once will likely result in a years worth of bends and blemishes from superior earlier editions. They literally seem like they were printed using a kit purchased for use on a home laser printer. I only hope the ink is more durable than the card stock they are printed on, as the dark cards will look horrible in no time at all otherwise. Something odd here too -- there are two "discards" in the deck, which is one more than usual. But what's odd is that they say "discard" on BOTH sides. Now I always thought the purpose of the extra card was to replace one that might come up missing, in which case, doesn't labeling the card "discard" make these cards completely unusable? The playing pieces/counters are OK (though they look a bit like suckers your doctor would hand out for being a good patient), and I could see these or the dice being replaced in other editions based on materials available in different regions, though most likely, they are all made in China and shipped to the various assembly locations. The solution envelope is probably the most substantial single element of the game. Probably the nicest I have seen, made from sturdy card stock for a lifetime of plays. The detective notes are probably the on thing that will change substantially from region to region as they will have to be printed in various languages on available stock.

Bottom line, I think it is the best edition they have put out since DTS, and is certainly on the right track toward redeeming themselves. I still don't know how I feel about having a bathroom in a standard edition of Clue/do (I mean some things are just not discussed among polite company), assuming is is the new standard edition, but the rest of it works. And I feel like they have done an excellent job with the artwork used on the board.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:22 pm

And this is the thing I hate the most ...

What reasonable person would think these people and these descriptions would match up in any way shape or form? Why would Hasbro try to fit this collection of people into such a broad and randomly misguided story. And where's the rest of the story? Is it going to be revealed in a later game that ties into the whole international intrigue thing? Is this setting us up for a movie? Why, why, oh why!? In some respects it seems to tie into the Clue mini series presented on the Hub, but those characters had totally different names and were slightly younger. As far as names go, i don't really understand, why we even need different names and aliases. I don't mind the aliases, which was a feature of the movie afterall, as long as there is a reason for it. in this case, i can see none. what's wrong with calling them "Mustard", "Scarlet", et al? If this is supposed to tie into some kind of franchise, then great ... but come on Hasbro, stop putting the cart before the horse. And when you do come up with some half-baked idea that doesn't pan out, do us a favor and just leave it out of the game. And honestly, since when do we have to create backstories? Clue/do made it into the 21st century without detailed biographies, which as far as I can tell the eventual inclusion of which in the last decade had more to do with Hasbro's efforts to sell spinoff games than actually increase the players enjoyment. And as the old saying goes, "if you can't say anything good about somebody" ... they should have just let us make up our own backstories based on inspiring photographs. Or, have we become so vapid as a culture to lack even the slightest imagination to do so? Or perhaps Hasbro's portraits are so bland as to need as much help as they can get to make them even slightly interesting. It is indeed a Classic Mystery!

If I were you, I'd either flip this platform over, or lay the rules over the character descriptions, and just ignore they are there. You don't need it to play the game and it just doesn't make sense otherwise. Accept that one of these young adults, killed Dr. lack, or Mr. Body.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:45 pm

The board itself is one of the best features of any Clue edition in a long time.

I know some of you are going to hate the same cluttered rooms in random disarray which plagued Discover The Secrets. I don't hate this myself. But agree that while it worked great with the Scooby Doo version of the game for a mansion that had fallen in disrepair, it makes little sense for a game where one of 6 party guests are accused of killing their host. I mean what were they doing? Were they scouring the house for the murder weapon (and turning up 6 in the process)? Did they get into a brawl that comically transpired all over the house? And if the killer was looking for the "secrets", then wouldn't one of the others see them making such a mess? If you really want to solve a mystery, try coming up with an explanation for why every room is in complete disarray.

Aside from that, at least they have gone back to some incredibly detailed real artwork. For instance, the bookshelf in the bedroom has a subtle reflection in the polished hard wood flooring. It's very reminiscent of the 1996-2002 edition game boards, especially around the board edges, which helps give it that Classic feel. The board alone makes the game worth having. I still don't know how I feel about having just one block of spaces in the center of the board, but then I haven't played it yet. Certainly starting in the center has precedence in Master Detective and Super Cluedo, and there's enough variety as to make it sufficiently difficult navigating around the middle and up the stairs that this should not be a problem going forward should Hasbro intend this to be the new board layout template for future editions.

Of course I'm still not sure about having a bathroom: "Mustard did it with the lead pipe in the bathroom!" ... it just doesn't sound right ...

EDIT: after scrutinizing each individual room, I am now sitting back and looking at the board as a whole, and I have to confess, while the color choices for each room are generally appropriate, and some really look fantastic, overall they don't seem to work very well together. It's almost as if different people worked on different rooms and never really discussed their work with each other. Perhaps this will improve with subsequent editions in the same way the 50th Anniversary Edition differed from the 1996 standard edition. But for now, this has become my major criticism with the board.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:55 pm

The first detailed room I will touch on is the new room, the Courtyard, which presumably replaces the Hall. Having a Courtyard is no problem for me, as such a space appears in Master Detective and Super Cluedo. And again, I like the detail offered here for the entrance to the house. However, of all the rooms, this seems the least like an actual room. The reason being that it literally sits on the edge of the board, having the least space of any room, and the space itself is poorly defined. Take a look at the board above. On the left of the door, a garage door bounds one side of the courtyard -- I will give it the benefit of the doubt the door makes contact with a boundary shrub or fence of some sort to prevent passage. But to the right of the door, the space literally has no boundary -- it's open all the way around the house along the edge of the board, which seems all the more likely when you consider the space itself is on the edge of the board. Hasbro may have realized this since they make it impossible to get into the open garage from either side. Nevertheless, I'll bet someone still tries to make an argument that they can get into the Bedroom from the Courtyard, despite it technically being on the second floor, as well as the Living Room which I will discuss below. Hasbro really should have set the door back a bit and depicted a little more of an actual courtyard with distinct boundaries. And imagine if all six suspects and the weapons end up in the Courtyard at once -- what a mess. Although this ambiguity is not a big deal to me, I don't like how the front doors open outward, either. No normal house in the world has a front door that opens outward. But I'll live.

Anybody know what the statues are supposed to be?

Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:09 pm

Since play moves clockwise, let's go to the next room on the board, the Living Room. I'm not so sure what was wrong with "Lounge", but it's essentially interchangeable so I'll let that one slide, despite being called a "Classic" edition. Since we have just come out of the Courtyard, which literally seems to include all the board edge space around the outside of the house, I will point out, that technically the French doors to the Living Room are open enough to slip through them. I will guarantee that someone will try to make a case for that as well, especially since this edition lets players move directly from room to room in many instances similar to Super Cluedo Challenge and Super Sleuth. So, good luck with that.

Aside from the flat screen TV, which seems totally out of place in a Clue game (though at least it's not a theatre movie screen), and the stereo speakers (which are out of place in any decade but the 70s), I like this room for what is -- essentially a modern edition. While it lacks much of the charm and atmosphere of a period mystery, it does set the proper mood for the game, and kids born in this decade will easily identify with this room, and not give it a second thought, though they may never look at their own living room the same way again.

My only not pick here is that the room is brightly lit, yet the otherwise brown leather furniture is bathed in TV glare, from a TV that has a very dim screen. And is that a clip from the Hub's Clue miniseries seen on it? Oh, and is it me, or does the door open the wrong way for this particular room layout?

Last edited by Murder by Death on Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:17 pm

Next going clockwise we come to the classic Dining Room. However, unlike it's earlier counterparts, this room opens directly into the Kitchen (once the hardest room to access, is now one of the easiest), and is the first standard game to do so. This particular room looks like it could have come right out of any traditional Clue/do edition. I particularly like the glass table top which only accentuates the detail that went into these designs. It's almost as if Hasbro was reading our forums which mercilessly criticized Discover The Secrets for being generically bland, with a paucity of detail, giving it an overall uninspired look. The one criticism I will levy is that the dining room needs doors between it and the kitchen. In a house like this its just common sense, no matter how nice the kitchen. So, I guess I will just pretend there are pocket doors retracted in the walls (despite the fact you would see them in the cutaway). Moreover, now that rooms directly connect with each other, and while I'm sure the distinct labeling of each space makes it perfectly clear they are separate rooms, actual doors would make a nice convention to define each new room distinctly. Plus, they've also created an Escher-like problem for themselves here, as well as betwen the Bathroom and Bedroom, which is that the walls of each room slant inward, creating a ridiculously wide door bottom compared to the top, for which the disparate flooring material does not properly align with the bottoms of the walls.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:50 am, edited 3 times in total.