Have we seen this Cluedo box cover before?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Michael
Mastermind

Have we seen this Cluedo box cover before?

Post by Michael » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:09 pm

How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:33 am

I want one!
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!

Aaron21
Spy

Post by Aaron21 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:51 am

I hope this come to the US... :D
But it is dark upstairs and I am frightened of the dark. Will anyone go with me?

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:08 am

Is it true!??
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

TheBilliardRoom
Detective

Post by TheBilliardRoom » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:14 am

I've just been looking in the Target Toy Sale catalogue, and I just saw this for $27...

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:15 am

No thank you, not a bad cover I'll admit.

Mr_Scarlett
Snoop

Post by Mr_Scarlett » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:12 pm

PLEEEASE let this have the PROPER weapons and the Miss/Mrs/Prof back!! Anyone know???

Aaron21
Spy

Post by Aaron21 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:23 pm

But it is dark upstairs and I am frightened of the dark. Will anyone go with me?

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:42 pm

http://content.snapixel.com/serve-conte ... ng-pie.jpg

I don't like to admit I'm wrong be it actrually looks good.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:52 pm

There's a typo on the box.
"Solve the Murder in the McMansion."*
"It is my opinion that your detective stories are the normal recreation of snobbish, out-dated, life-hating, ignoble minds."

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:58 pm

Ronald McDonald has been murdered in his mansion.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:10 pm

It was Miss Scarlet in the kitchen with the double cheeseburger!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:55 pm

Interesting. It would appear the characters are targeted at the same crowd as the short-lived "Secrets in Paris" edition.

The board has been completely redesigned, with the pawns moving around a central hub and what appears to be only 8 rooms connected to each other.

The solid color pawns shaped like the characters are kind of cheap looking.

Hard to tell if the clock cards are gone, but at least the board artwork looks gorgeous - a return to an earlier, better time.http://www.theartofmurder.com/

Overall I get a sort of Scooby Doo vibe, with young sleuths visiting some old creepy mansion ... Is this perhaps inspired by the Hub Clue mini-series that aired last Fall?

Not sure about these brain-teasers and riddles. I'm all for mixing it up a bit, evening up the playing field and introducing some real reasoning skills, but describing it for novices and experts alike makes me hope it's not something stupid. And once you've solved the riddles and brain-teasers, doesn't that kind of render that feature moot the next time you play the game?

Somebody buy this and confirm! http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLUEDO-Hasbro-C ... 0623715304

Solve brainteasers and riddles to get to the bottom of the who, what and where in this board game classic, Clue The Ultimate Mystery Game. This edition presents new challenges for Clue novices and experts alike.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:12 pm

gah! now I want it more!
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:57 pm

Mansion? Huh, what do you know, my nieghbor owns a mansion. Seriously the house looks like most of the houses on my street.

I'm going ot take a crack at the rooms starting on the bottom left and going clockwise:

Garage (there appears to be a dead body rolled in tarp in the driveway)
Billiard Room (pool table looks crooked)
Bedroom (fancy white bed)
Bathroom (with large tub)
Study (I'd assume since it's upstairs)
Kitchen (no dining room?)
Library
Living Room (Drawing Room, but I doubt they'll use a fancy name)
Front Porch (maybe that is a suspected room :) )

I like how the stairs are two spaces on the board which gives Clue an upstairs. One of the weapons appears to be a wrench (fingers crossed). I'm not to thrilled but it's nice to see a change away from the Spa, Theatre, and Observatory.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:18 pm

I can make out a standing metal weapon and a beige plastic weapon in the mix, so there's a good chance a rope and candlestick are included weapons.

I like the suspect tokens. They looks like they're supposed to be figurines sculpted off of the character images.

And the dice don't have the question mark side, so that may be a good sign! Maybe Hasbro's finally listened to us!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:29 pm

It looks like only 6 weapons, so perhaps they've gone back to the classics. But there are still Question marks on the board. Hopefully those are for the riddles and brain-teasers, and not the clock cards ...

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:41 pm

cacums wrote:Mansion? Huh, what do you know, my nieghbor owns a mansion. Seriously the house looks like most of the houses on my street.

I'm going ot take a crack at the rooms starting on the bottom left and going clockwise:

Garage (there appears to be a dead body rolled in tarp in the driveway)
Billiard Room (pool table looks crooked)
Bedroom (fancy white bed)
Bathroom (with large tub)
Study (I'd assume since it's upstairs)
Kitchen (no dining room?)
Library
Living Room (Drawing Room, but I doubt they'll use a fancy name)
Front Porch (maybe that is a suspected room :) )

I like how the stairs are two spaces on the board which gives Clue an upstairs. One of the weapons appears to be a wrench (fingers crossed). I'm not to thrilled but it's nice to see a change away from the Spa, Theatre, and Observatory.
I actually think you're right, aside from I think the "study" is a second bedroom. It appears to just be a house. I wonder if this was the game my friend was talking about? It looks like teens in an average house. That would be something that would be geared towards younger players, and she did mention that. I'll have to ask her.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:24 pm

Well at least the characters have somewhere to pee & sleep now.

Seriously though, this looks like the kind of revamped Clue game I've been waiting for. A traditional house/mansion setting (sans stupid "Hollywood" rooms), with some extra challenges tossed into the gameplay to make for, what could be, a nice blend of the classic card-swapping game & some actual logic & reasoning tests.

And the box is great! This is coming along just in time for my birthday, too. :D

Edit: I also appreciate the tagline of "The CLASSIC Mystery Game." Perhaps this is a little nod from Hasbro that their last attempt at revamping Clue was anything but in the spirit of the original. (Which now makes me a little bummed about the entire board being redesigned, layout-wise, but it's hardly the first "standard" edition to do this, so I'll reserv judgment until I see it in person). I'm also happy to see the bit (on eBay) about special two-player rules. I almost never have more than one other person to play with, and I'm glad Hasbro has (apparently) taken that into consideration.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

TheBilliardRoom
Detective

Post by TheBilliardRoom » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:33 pm

Well I found a $30 gift card for Target that I got for my birthday... so I ended up buying this...