Clue / Cluedo 2002 – 2008 R.I.P.

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Clue / Cluedo 2002 – 2008 R.I.P.

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:15 pm

I was just going over my collection and deciding what constituted holes in it, what I really wanted it to consist of, and what my priorities are.

And I decided that I have absolutely no interest in the 2002 – 2008 era, with the possible exception of Cluedo Live. And of course I have absolutely no interest in the post 2008 era of Clue/do so far, except for certain licensed "themed" editions. So basically Clue/do is dead to me. R.I.P.

But as I was looking over the offerings of the last decade, I realized the mistake that Hasbro made: they used the same artwork for everything. Slightly different play rules, but all the same artwork. This seems to have started in 1996 when Hasbro licensed out the Drew Struzan artwork (no doubt in an effort to recoup their costs), which resulted in half-a-dozen editions which are essentially identical with subtle changes. Part of my problem with the new Winning Moves card game and Classic edition too.

I was debating whether to get a copy of the 1996 edition for my collection since I already have the LGE, both the Clue & Cluedo 50th, the International 50th Travel, and the tiny wooden box Collectors edition – All the same artwork!! But I don't have that great box cover vignette.

That's when I realized I had Michael-itus (addiction to Clue/do box covers). ;-)

So for me, not only do the post 2002 spin-off games not particularly appeal to me, but the artwork is all the same and the box art is not particularly inspiring. Not sure if anyone else feels this way, but it's just too much of the same thing. I guess I understand the idea behind unifying the spin-off games, but seriously, part of what makes the spinoff games interesting is the new artwork. Adding banal new characters which don't even seem to make sense is just more of the same and not much of an inducement. Would MD have been as big a hit if it used the same dull artwork from the 1986 edition? Then there's The Great Museum caper – yet a fresh new depiction of the characters (on the box at least). I'm still debating whether to get it for my collection simply for the box art. Followed by a fresh artwork in 1992.

So between the 1985 VCR edition, the movie, the standard editions and the spinoffs, there were 6 new different designs in the span of 8 years, not counting the Cluedo offerings, puzzles, books, TV series and video games. Compare that to the same design for 1996 to 2002, and 2002-2008. At least Cluedo offered some alternatives to collect during the same 1996 to 2003 period, but then after that it was the same unified artwork worldwide, just repackaged. BORING!

I bought the Clue/Monopoly wooden box multi-game edition, which has the 2002 artwork – and that's a great edition by the way, well made and beautifully done. But, I'll probably give it away as a gift to someone in my family with kids, since I will eventually end up getting a 2002 edition for the box artwork only, and I'm not even really motivated to do that. But I just am not inspired by the other spin-off games of this era. Maybe it's just me, but I have no interest in playing these games, however if they had all used different artwork, I would buy up every last one of them.

The one hopeful trend for the reinvention is that they so-far have used different characters for every edition, whether I like the overall concept or not, at least they are giving me a reason to "collect them all"! Perhaps they learned their lesson?
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:55 am

What's the difference between the US 2002 edition with the beige band across the bottom that folds over the box side and the one which is green on all sides with the "Family Game Night" logo. I looked for a copyright date but found nothing distinguishing the two covers. Were the contents otherwise identical?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:16 pm

Anybody know the difference, besides the "Family Game Night" logo and box design? The beige side-paneled box has a 2005 copyright date. Does that mean the "Family Game Night" box was the original 2002 release, since there's no copyright date on the box?

Green Side Panel

Beige Side Panel

chaostheory1489
Private Eye

Post by chaostheory1489 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:16 pm

Both Master Detective and The Great Museum Caper used the artwork of the 1992 version.

Cluedo: Passport to Murder used the same art as the Cluedo 2000 edition.

That's just how spinoffs work.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:45 pm

chaostheory1489 wrote:Both Master Detective and The Great Museum Caper used the artwork of the 1992 version.

Cluedo: Passport to Murder used the same art as the Cluedo 2000 edition.

That's just how spinoffs work.
Where? TGMC copied the look of the MD suspects, and MD used original artwork.

Super Cluedo emulated the appearances of the Cluedo 2000 suspects, but the artwork is original for that game too.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:51 am

MD Peacock: Old woman who looks like her mom was a human and her dad was a falcon.
92 Peacock: Young ginger haired woman that reminds me of Katherine O'Hara in Beetlejuice.

MD White: Mrs. White was a man?
92 White: Tough Elderly maid.

MD Scarlet: older and fatter face
92 Scarlet: younger and thinner face

MD Green: Big rough gangster
92 Green: Thin and less threatening (plus the cigar disappeared and he now has hair)

MD Plum: Older, balder, darker hair, more intelligent looking
92 Plum: Dapper, shocked, eccentric, and looks like he is going to soil himself while starring at that knife.

MD & 92 Mustard: This is the closest to compare the to, however 92 Mustard is younger.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:40 pm

cacums wrote:MD Peacock: Old woman who looks like her mom was a human and her dad was a falcon.
92 Peacock: Young ginger haired woman that reminds me of Katherine O'Hara in Beetlejuice.

MD White: Mrs. White was a man?
92 White: Tough Elderly maid.

MD Scarlet: older and fatter face
92 Scarlet: younger and thinner face

MD Green: Big rough gangster
92 Green: Thin and less threatening (plus the cigar disappeared and he now has hair)

MD Plum: Older, balder, darker hair, more intelligent looking
92 Plum: Dapper, shocked, eccentric, and looks like he is going to soil himself while starring at that knife.

MD & 92 Mustard: This is the closest to compare the to, however 92 Mustard is younger.

I'm sure the differences are quite obvious, but the point is that the artwork was not reused.

That said, 1992 Peacock is definitely not ginger. Dirty blonde or auburn even, but ginger definitely not.
Nor does 1992 White look particularly tough. Her expression strikes me more as sarcastic.