Canadian Clue

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

chaostheory1489
Private Eye

Canadian Clue

Post by chaostheory1489 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:33 pm

I have a friend going to Canada and I asked her to pick up a Clue game for me there. So can someone fill me in on the differences between Canadian Clue and American Clue (if there are any)? My main question is if they're bilingual, because that's what I really want.

Thanks!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Canadian Clue

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:47 pm

chaostheory1489 wrote:My main question is if they're bilingual, because that's what I really want.
I believe this is what you will get, but you should make sure your friend confirms this is what they are buying. Quebec mandates by law that products sold within the province are labeled bilingually. However, I'm not sure that applies to all of Canada, nor if Hasbro produces two different versions within Canada.

Unfortunately they are likely only to find the reinvention game easily. They might get lucky and find a copy of the 2002 edition. Others from Canada will likely know more about it.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:57 pm

My 1996 edition has everything labeled in English and French. So yes, all of Canada must use both languages.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what you friend may find in the stores as I don't go shopping for Clue games.

chaostheory1489
Private Eye

Post by chaostheory1489 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:12 am

Awesome! Thanks, guys.

jaymzalexander
Snoop

Post by jaymzalexander » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:27 am

No matter where your friend goes here in Canada they'll find you a billingual version of Clue.
Unfortunately as MbD stated the most easily found version will be Discover the Secrets, but as my birthday only recently passed I can tell you as well that Clue Carnival, Secrets in Paris and Secrets & Spies are also out on the market here at Toys R Us, WalMart etc.

Depending on where they're going also, they might even be able to find Clue in some Loblaws owned grocery stores (Real Canadian Superstore, Fortinos, Zehrs and similar box stores carry the game as well)

Just tell them not to get it at a Zellers or they'll be paying out their butts. Pretty much everything at Zellers here is overpriced lol

Enjoy your 'foreign' fully bilingual edition!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:17 am

jaymzalexander wrote:I can tell you as well that Clue Carnival, Secrets in Paris
Secrets in Paris seems most apropos to be bilingual. If I had to choose between Discover The Secrets and Secrets In Paris, I would definitely go for the latter, for the bilingual aspect as well as a quality aspect. I was really impressed with how nice that game is, especially for a US edition. The board is one of the nicest I have ever seen and the artwork is of much higher quality than that of the reinvention. This makes a great addition to a collection because it uses completely different locations than most others. Just ignore the set-up about the kids stealing something using a "prop" and pretend they murdered their teacher instead. ;-)

Having mentioned this edition is printed bilingually in Canada makes me wonder if this edition will make it overseas. Will secrets in Paris play in France? Obviously the setup will have to change somewhat to have the same appeal to the French. But otherwise it should play OK. Will it turn up in the UK this Christmas?

jaymzalexander, do you have Barnes & Nobel? They carried the 2002 edition 2006 Bookshelf version exclusively this Christmas, and might be worth checking to see if they still have stock in stores, assuming chaostheory1489 wants a traditional game.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jaymzalexander
Snoop

Post by jaymzalexander » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:26 pm

No Barnes & Noble where I am. Our big name book store is Chapters (which also owns Coles; found in malls mostly, and Indigo; usual big box stores on their own). When I check online the only Clue stock in the games they have are the Travel edition and DtS.
However I know that they used to also carry the bookshelf edition as well in the past, so it is possible that there are still sores with old stock hanging around.

ajk93
Snoop

Post by ajk93 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:59 pm

-Yes, I'm aware this post is really delayed-

I know this is definately not what you'll find but, I have
a copy of 1972 Canadian Clue. Only that back of the box
is in English and French, but the board, cards, and detective
sheets are all only English. The pawns are taller, and the notepads
are arranged so that it says Clue on the top, instead of the bottom.
The Instructions, of course are bilingual.
"De-de-de-de-de-da...I Am Your Singing Telegram"