Clue Current Thoughts

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:44 am

What are the chances that Mrs. White and the five guests weren't the only ones present at the house when Mr. Boddy (or, just to be politically correct, Dr. Black) was killed? Could M. Brunette, Miss Peach, and Mrs. Meadow-Brook all been present, too, but not suspected? Maybe the 6 suspects were just the 6 people there with a motive and were unaccounted for sometime during the night. Maybe the 9 rooms were just the only 9 rooms in which the murder could have taken place. Maybe the house has several other rooms but they were all filled with other innocent guests. I guess it all depends on if you view the murder taking place in an empty country home with a few guests milling about at midnight or a palatial estate and social epicenter briming with waiters and socialites.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:54 am

If it's just regular Clue, I prefer it just being Boddy and the 6 suspects. Maybe a butler as well, but bogging it down with idea of extra colour-coded guests who are not suspected feels quite unnecessary.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:19 am

munitzer wrote:What are the chances that Mrs. White and the five guests weren't the only ones present at the house when Mr. Boddy (or, just to be politically correct, Dr. Black) was killed? Could M. Brunette, Miss Peach, and Mrs. Meadow-Brook all been present, too, but not suspected? Maybe the 6 suspects were just the 6 people there with a motive and were unaccounted for sometime during the night. Maybe the 9 rooms were just the only 9 rooms in which the murder could have taken place. Maybe the house has several other rooms but they were all filled with other innocent guests. I guess it all depends on if you view the murder taking place in an empty country home with a few guests milling about at midnight or a palatial estate and social epicenter briming with waiters and socialites.
We've discussed something similar here:

http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/vi ... &view=next

Green
Detective

Post by Green » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:58 am

Munitzer, I've been thinking about that lately. I think there are other rooms on the ground floor, simply because it wouldn't exactly be a "Mansion" with only nine rooms. It leaves the front of the building just three rooms wide, which is about the size of a normal house. If you want to call it "Hill House" or something like that, then it could be just the nine. But if it's really a Mansion, I think there must be many more rooms on the ground floor.

Also, recently I've been thinking about creating a Clue where each suspect is paired with their significant other. So two characters would be portrayed on each card. Miss Scarlet and her lover; Col. Mustard and his trophy wife; Mrs. White and her husband, the butler; Mr. Green and his fiance; Mrs. Peacock and Senator Peacock; and Professor Plum with his wife. The party would make more sense, since there would be more guests, and you would have the housekeeper/cook and the butler present.

It seems like such a hassle though and not really necessary, so I probably won't actually do it.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:54 pm

But you should. That sounds like an excellent idea. It is vaguely like the couples that appear on that bank-based Clue game that was recently added to the Clue Games section. For someone with your talent and excellent casting selections, I think, if anyone, you would be able to pull it off. It would make sense to have two people do it. Mrs. Peacock whacks Mr. Boddy with the candlestick while Senator Peacock watches the door to make sure no one is coming. Now that is a strong marriage.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:24 pm

I think have two people on a card it mucks up the simple charm of it simply being Mrs. Peacock with ..... in ..... but that's just my opinion.

Actually, I wouldn't mind if there were significant others present, but NOT on the same card as their partner. How about this idea:

Was it Mr. Green who killed Mr. Boddy, aided by Senator Peacock with the Knife in the Ballroom?

See? The other half of the couple could possibly be used as an "Accomplice" variable.

Green
Detective

Post by Green » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:00 pm

That could be interesting. I did get the idea of doubling-up the suspects and their spouses from the bank-based game. Maybe I'll make a prototype card to see if it can be done well.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:28 am

Now, obviously, this card has no real appeal, but this was kind of what I was talking about. Since my computer skills are limited and I'd much rather not waste time fiddling with various programs, I did a simple PowerPoint autoshapes card. Apologies for the font quality. It is far better when it's not saved as a picture of that size.

My concept of Clue greatly diverges from the conventional image, but I like the idea of these "couple cards" looking like they were taken out of society pages in local newspapers or the back pages of magazines. Actually, that may be a decent place to find pictures ...

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:38 am

Looks too cluttered and un-mysterious for my liking, but I think I already made that criticism from the get-go when I said I wasn't fond of seeing multiple people on the same card. If you don't mind me pointing out, you spelt Peacock as Peacok.

Green
Detective

Post by Green » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:16 am

Haha! In my search for images of couples earlier, I was looking for something of Annette Bening and Warren Beatty to use for Senator and Mrs. Peacock as well. (I've always thought you made a great choice in using her as Mrs. P, munitzer, and there are plenty of images of them together.) I gave up after a while though because I couldn't find any poses I liked.

Here, I've done a quick search again and whipped up my own prototype... apologies for the stark font. I may continue with this, but finding images for all of the couples would be torture.

I imagine they wouldn't all have to be romantically involved. Perhaps Mr. and Miss Scarlet could be siblings, or else they could be Mr. Crimson and Miss Scarlet, or something like that.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:24 am

This is very weird on two levels. One, I saw that exact same picture and considered using it, but the quality of the one I found was extremely poor. I really like how you did yours. It's very stylish.

While I am an avid lobbyist on behalf of Annette Bening for Mrs. Peacock, Senator Warren (Beatty) Peacock is a bit ... underwelming. I tried to find a decent picture of Annette Bening and Kevin Spacey from "American Beauty" but nothing really worked. Ms Bening and Mr. Beatty typically have 2 poses, and half of them it's in front of a movie poster.

The second level: I was thinking the exact same thing about Miss Scarlet having a brother instead of a lover, mostly since I always viewed Mr. Boddy being her lover. In the case of a Mr. Scarlet (he was a character I developed in the waning days of "A Clue Series" when I was considering a 7th season), I think he would be much more likely to help Miss Scarlet or Miss Scarlet to enlist the help of her brother rather than some man of the evening.

Other associations I thought of were Mr. Green and his assistant or putting Mrs. White and Mr. Ash on the same cards as "the Help". This has actually been something I've wanted to pursue.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:25 am

CluedoKid wrote:If you don't mind me pointing out, you spelt Peacock as Peacok.
I don't mind. I'm ashamed more than anything.

Green
Detective

Post by Green » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:36 am

munitzer wrote:Other associations I thought of were Mr. Green and his assistant or putting Mrs. White and Mr. Ash on the same cards as "the Help". This has actually been something I've wanted to pursue.
Ohh, I really like that.

The picture I used doesn't feature Warren Beatty... it's actually Michael Douglas.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:37 am

I know. The American President is one of my favorite movies, despite the fact that I'm not a fan of Ms. Bening's appearance in the movie. I think that promo pic was an excellent selection, and how you shaded the card ... it's all fantastic. I really do admire your designs with your cards.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:05 am

I've edited the above Peacocks card. Mr. Green and his "assistant" Miss Kelly ...

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:44 am

Actually, the Mr. Green & Miss Kelly looks pretty interesting.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:39 pm

Nothing too outstanding.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:40 pm

It would probablty help if the order the names are printed corresponded to the order they are in the pictures. If I stick with them, I will make that revision.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:30 pm

I am officially insanely jealous of all the people creative enough to come up with their own creative Clue game. I personally have practically no artistic talent whatsoever; my writing makes up for it, I like to think.

Also, I'm wondering what's new with the Clue remake?
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:35 pm

The only "new" piece of information I have heard is that imdb currently lists the project as being released in 2011.