Clue Current Thoughts

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Post Reply
Jonathan Green
Master Detective
Posts: 1256
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:53 pm

So Château de Nuit in Clue Chronicles means Night Castle
“Really Plum?!” - Mr. Green (Clue VCR, 1985)
IG:https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by coinilius » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:21 pm

As a room that is meant to be entered and used for game play, maybe replacing the study space with a luxurious bathroom would work better, but rooms would have to be moved around, and a better way of presenting the entrance to the mansion than just shoving it to the side.

Jonathan Green
Master Detective
Posts: 1256
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:27 pm

coinilius wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:21 pm
As a room that is meant to be entered and used for game play, maybe replacing the study space with a luxurious bathroom would work better, but rooms would have to be moved around, and a better way of presenting the entrance to the mansion than just shoving it to the side.
If I was to chose where a Bathroom would go, I'll place it where the Conservatory is. It's the perfect shape for it.
“Really Plum?!” - Mr. Green (Clue VCR, 1985)
IG:https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by coinilius » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:55 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:27 pm
coinilius wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:21 pm
As a room that is meant to be entered and used for game play, maybe replacing the study space with a luxurious bathroom would work better, but rooms would have to be moved around, and a better way of presenting the entrance to the mansion than just shoving it to the side.
If I was to chose where a Bathroom would go, I'll place it where the Conservatory is. It's the perfect shape for it.
Yes, that would work well as an alternate placement - if they were going to replace the hall with a bathroom, they should have rethought how all the rooms fit together, IMO. It's probably for the best that it's just been a one-off so far :lol:

User avatar
cacums
Ringer
Posts: 11174
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 11:58 am
Location: If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by cacums » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:29 am

coinilius wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:55 pm
Jonathan Green wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:27 pm
coinilius wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:21 pm
As a room that is meant to be entered and used for game play, maybe replacing the study space with a luxurious bathroom would work better, but rooms would have to be moved around, and a better way of presenting the entrance to the mansion than just shoving it to the side.
If I was to chose where a Bathroom would go, I'll place it where the Conservatory is. It's the perfect shape for it.
Yes, that would work well as an alternate placement - if they were going to replace the hall with a bathroom, they should have rethought how all the rooms fit together, IMO. It's probably for the best that it's just been a one-off so far :lol:
What if the window alcove in the Ballroom is turned into the new entrance. You could put staircases on either side of it and still have plenty of room. It would also make sense of the four doors in the "entry room"

User avatar
BBP
Detective
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:19 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by BBP » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:40 am

Why not just make a lot of rooms! If it were easier to move around between them it could make for a great game!

User avatar
MajorHoy
Slueth
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:44 pm
Location: Connecticut (USA)

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by MajorHoy » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:46 pm

BBP wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:40 am
Why not just make a lot of rooms! If it were easier to move around between them it could make for a great game!
But don't forget, each new room would need a new card. And how much longer might that make the game to narrow down where it happened in order to win the game? :?:

User avatar
BBP
Detective
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:19 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by BBP » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:23 am

With players like my sister and me the 6/6/9 combo is too short, games of 10-15 turns are no exception.

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by coinilius » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:49 am

Another longer game with more rooms, suspects and weapons would be awesome - even if they did a new version of the Master Detective board.

User avatar
MajorHoy
Slueth
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:44 pm
Location: Connecticut (USA)

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by MajorHoy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:41 am

coinilius wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:49 am
Another longer game with more rooms, suspects and weapons would be awesome - even if they did a new version of the Master Detective board.
Another longer version of the game with more of everything would be nice as an additional expanded version option, but in my mind definitely should not replace the simpler basic version. A longer, more complicated version would not necessarily be a good introduction for new players, and a company like Hasbro always needs to seek out new players / new consumers.

User avatar
BBP
Detective
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:19 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by BBP » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:27 pm

You can remove cards from a game, but not add cards. It's easy to make a shortplay version out of a longplay game but not the other way round.

User avatar
MajorHoy
Slueth
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:44 pm
Location: Connecticut (USA)

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by MajorHoy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:47 pm

BBP wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:27 pm
You can remove cards from a game, but not add cards. It's easy to make a shortplay version out of a longplay game but not the other way round.
That wouldn't necessarily work that well because you'd still have all those extra rooms on the board, and those would likely add spaces to move between the rooms you still use for a short-play version.
Best would be have the standard version and then a different, additional "advanced" version with more rooms, more weapons, and possibly more players / suspects.
(Unless you wanted a two-sided board with basic on one side and larger, advanced on the other side, but that would probably raise the cost for someone who only wanted the simpler basic game.)

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by coinilius » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:05 pm

The Clue Shuffle or whatever it’s called (the most recent card game) is a short play version, even with the advanced rules it only has a limited number of rooms and weapons. No board though, obviously, but it does help speed up the game lol

I know i’ve said this before but a standard board could be produced that has additional spaces for suspects, so you could have up to 8 suspects, 8 weapons and 9 rooms without significant alterations to the game and with you being able to drop cards out to still play a regular game.

You can fold the North Pole edition in such a way that you can cut off rooms to shrink the game down if you wanted to (actually did play a quick game like this over the holidays).

A dedicated fast play version could be done as a travel game, I think there has probably been fast food promotion time in games that fit that sort of bill (Burger King?).

longshort
Suspect
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:16 pm

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by longshort » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:28 pm

"The Hammond's 3rd year professional dance students" performing in various rooms of Arley Hall (Cheshire, England) as the Cluedo characters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3IlkuVk4VY

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by coinilius » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:18 am

longshort wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:28 pm
"The Hammond's 3rd year professional dance students" performing in various rooms of Arley Hall (Cheshire, England) as the Cluedo characters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3IlkuVk4VY
Thanks for posting that link!

longshort
Suspect
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:16 pm

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by longshort » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:40 pm

coinilius wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:18 am
longshort wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:28 pm
"The Hammond's 3rd year professional dance students" performing in various rooms of Arley Hall (Cheshire, England) as the Cluedo characters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3IlkuVk4VY
Thanks for posting that link!
Nice.

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2618
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:02 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:45 pm
coinilius wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:00 pm
MajorHoy wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:17 pm
I'd be more than happy if they flushed that change.
I wouldn't have minded if they kept it around a little longer, but would have preferred they gave the room and overall board placement/design a little bit of an overhaul to actually make it work and look good.
Maybe they should have just added a small bathroom next to the hall?
And they could have added a small coat closet, too.
Or they could go back to the Patent version and put the bathroom in place of the trophy room, which is in a perfect location between the dining room and lounge and sized perfectly.

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17429
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:25 pm

I actually did that once, in one of my previous homemade editions. I'd dig it up, but Photoshop has censored all older files of mine.
Image

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by coinilius » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:31 am

For an anniversary they should release a Patent version of the game - the original board, weapons, characters, awkward rule differences - I think it would be great to see!

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by coinilius » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:03 am

CluedoKid wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:25 pm
I actually did that once, in one of my previous homemade editions. I'd dig it up, but Photoshop has censored all older files of mine.
Ah that's too bad, that would have been good to see!

Post Reply