Clue Current Thoughts

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Post Reply
Jonathan Green
Senior Detective
Posts: 1235
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:45 pm

“Really Plum?!” - Mr. Green (Clue VCR, 1985)
IG:https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17428
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:20 pm

I like how they point out their site isn't cluttered with porn. That's more than can be said about our own site. :roll:
Image

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by coinilius » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:52 pm

Ah Hasbro - I know It’s just business but of course they were trying to get that domain name lol

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2605
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:36 pm

cacums wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:50 pm
I love that board! Definitely getting it. Perhaps alongside with the Ghost of Mrs. White :)
Ugh. But it’s a whole new play mechanic. All the rooms connect to each other, so no more rolling dice and just move from room to room? It doesn’t appear one can enter the center area to pass through either, just go round and round and use the secret passages.

Also, odd they kept the Hall, and didn’t replace it with the bathroom.

User avatar
MajorHoy
Slueth
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:44 pm
Location: Connecticut (USA)

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by MajorHoy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:13 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:36 pm
cacums wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:50 pm
I love that board! Definitely getting it. Perhaps alongside with the Ghost of Mrs. White :)
Ugh. But it’s a whole new play mechanic. All the rooms connect to each other, so no more rolling dice and just move from room to room? It doesn’t appear one can enter the center area to pass through either, just go round and round and use the secret passages.

Also, odd they kept the Hall, and didn’t replace it with the bathroom.
Personally, I think replacing the hall with a bathroom is silly. How big a bathroom do they need on the main floor, especially if there aren't any sleeping quarters around? They could have just added a small bathroom to the overall floor-plan.

User avatar
BBP
Detective
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:19 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by BBP » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:43 pm

Went back from visiting BF and didnt have to delete a lot of spam when I came back. Feels pretty good!

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by coinilius » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:06 pm

BBP wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:43 pm
Went back from visiting BF and didnt have to delete a lot of spam when I came back. Feels pretty good!


Yay! That is great news - there does seem to be a lot less spam around here now!

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by coinilius » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:11 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:36 pm
cacums wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:50 pm
I love that board! Definitely getting it. Perhaps alongside with the Ghost of Mrs. White :)
Ugh. But it’s a whole new play mechanic. All the rooms connect to each other, so no more rolling dice and just move from room to room? It doesn’t appear one can enter the center area to pass through either, just go round and round and use the secret passages.

Also, odd they kept the Hall, and didn’t replace it with the bathroom.
I don’t mind seeing new mechanics tried out, though not being able to at least cut through the centre will make it kind of awkward to get around. I’ve trialed a similar mechanic to this using the Guess Who? Clue cards and also the Clue Card Game - but in those games, I used a card as a centre square as well that you could pass through to make travel easier.

Black
Bindle Stiff
Posts: 6300
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: In the Billiard Rm with the Wrench

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by Black » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:36 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:04 pm
Elrond wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:34 pm
Latest Clue from New York Toy Fair...

https://www.popsugar.com/family/photo-g ... Board-Game

Of special interest is that this appears to be the first completely re-worked artwork since Dr. Orchid was introduced... And it still features Orchid instead of White.
Here's the image(s) from that link to the Liars Edition version:
Image

Image
I find the weapon selection really odd. They brought back the Lawn Gnome from SFX and the "Candlestick" is just a holder with a stick of dynamite

Jonathan Green
Senior Detective
Posts: 1235
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by Jonathan Green » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:10 pm

Black wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:36 pm
MajorHoy wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:04 pm
Elrond wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:34 pm
Latest Clue from New York Toy Fair...

https://www.popsugar.com/family/photo-g ... Board-Game

Of special interest is that this appears to be the first completely re-worked artwork since Dr. Orchid was introduced... And it still features Orchid instead of White.
Here's the image(s) from that link to the Liars Edition version:
Image

Image
I find the weapon selection really odd. They brought back the Lawn Gnome from SFX and the "Candlestick" is just a holder with a stick of dynamite
I think there’s a Cleaver/Butcher Knife in there as well. Maybe the Candlestick is a nod to the Bomb from the patent?
“Really Plum?!” - Mr. Green (Clue VCR, 1985)
IG:https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by coinilius » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:38 am

It is a Liars Edition so I am guessing it is going to be a little bit younger in cheek

Elrond
Slueth
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by Elrond » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:57 am

Black wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:36 pm
MajorHoy wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:04 pm
Elrond wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:34 pm
Latest Clue from New York Toy Fair...

https://www.popsugar.com/family/photo-g ... Board-Game

Of special interest is that this appears to be the first completely re-worked artwork since Dr. Orchid was introduced... And it still features Orchid instead of White.
Here's the image(s) from that link to the Liars Edition version:
Image

Image
I find the weapon selection really odd. They brought back the Lawn Gnome from SFX and the "Candlestick" is just a holder with a stick of dynamite
Your eyes are better than mine... I can't for the life of me figure out what any of those are except the knife. Still - this'll be cool as we'll finally have a lawn gnome token to go into our FX game... We just need a hammer, pruning shears, a water bucket, and the tennis racket... (horse shoe available in MD).

User avatar
cacums
Ringer
Posts: 11170
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 11:58 am
Location: If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by cacums » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:01 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:36 pm
cacums wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:50 pm
I love that board! Definitely getting it. Perhaps alongside with the Ghost of Mrs. White :)
Ugh. But it’s a whole new play mechanic. All the rooms connect to each other, so no more rolling dice and just move from room to room? It doesn’t appear one can enter the center area to pass through either, just go round and round and use the secret passages.

Also, odd they kept the Hall, and didn’t replace it with the bathroom.
I plan on using it for homemade fun :) Perhaps throw the cards from Guess Who with that board "Start/Solve" in the Conservatory.

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by coinilius » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:45 am

It’ll be interesting to see what the mechanics actually are on this one - it could be interesting.

User avatar
Sir Shamrock
Private Eye
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:36 pm
Location: In the ballroom, with the Candlestick

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by Sir Shamrock » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:37 am

With this game, the new Clue Jr., the Ghost of Mrs. White, and all the others, maybe the Bathroom was just a one time thing

User avatar
MajorHoy
Slueth
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:44 pm
Location: Connecticut (USA)

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by MajorHoy » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:17 pm

Sir Shamrock wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:37 am
With this game, the new Clue Jr., the Ghost of Mrs. White, and all the others, maybe the Bathroom was just a one time thing
I'd be more than happy if they flushed that change.

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by coinilius » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:13 pm

After the discussion we had about Clue Mystery Match in the Interview with Dugald Keith thread (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21142&hilit=mystery+match), I conned a friend into playing a quickly knocked up home game inspired by it. This is by no means an accurate adaption of the Mystery Match game play (which is timed and has the cards shuffle locations when you make a match, as well as a different number of cards), but it worked as a quick Clue themed memory match game:

We used all the mini cards from Guess Who? Clue (the ones that go into the shutters on the boards) and divided them into Location, Weapon and Suspect piles. Each pile was shuffled separately, then the Location cards were laid out in 3 rows of 5 cards, with 1 card being put aside as the murder location/Evidence card. We then used standard memory match rules, taking turns flipping 2 cards over, taking another turn if you got a successful match. Each player takes the matches that they make for scoring purposes at the end.

An added complication was that, if you thought you had flipped enough cards that you knew what the Evidence card was, you could make an accusation and then look at the card. If you guessed correctly, you could then claim all unmatched cards left. We played 2 players, so if the guess was wrong, the other player automatically won the round and collected all unmatched cards.

The game then proceeded to the Weapon round, then the Murdered round, following the same rules. At the end, the player with the most points was declared the winner - points were based on what cards you had, so 1 point per card (2 points per matching cards), except evidence cards (and their pairs), which were 2 points each (4 points per matching cards).

All in all, it wasn't the most original or exciting game around, but it was fun to play and there's enough of an idea in it to make it a fun alternative to a standard game of memory - it would make for a decent Happy Meal type tie in game, or something along those lines :lol:
Last edited by coinilius on Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by coinilius » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:00 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:17 pm
Sir Shamrock wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:37 am
With this game, the new Clue Jr., the Ghost of Mrs. White, and all the others, maybe the Bathroom was just a one time thing
I'd be more than happy if they flushed that change.
I wouldn't have minded if they kept it around a little longer, but would have preferred they gave the room and overall board placement/design a little bit of an overhaul to actually make it work and look good.

User avatar
MajorHoy
Slueth
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:44 pm
Location: Connecticut (USA)

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by MajorHoy » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:45 pm

coinilius wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:00 pm
MajorHoy wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:17 pm
Sir Shamrock wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:37 am
With this game, the new Clue Jr., the Ghost of Mrs. White, and all the others, maybe the Bathroom was just a one time thing
I'd be more than happy if they flushed that change.
I wouldn't have minded if they kept it around a little longer, but would have preferred they gave the room and overall board placement/design a little bit of an overhaul to actually make it work and look good.
Maybe they should have just added a small bathroom next to the hall?
And they could have added a small coat closet, too.

Jonathan Green
Senior Detective
Posts: 1235
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:32 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:45 pm
coinilius wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:00 pm
MajorHoy wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:17 pm
I'd be more than happy if they flushed that change.
I wouldn't have minded if they kept it around a little longer, but would have preferred they gave the room and overall board placement/design a little bit of an overhaul to actually make it work and look good.
Maybe they should have just added a small bathroom next to the hall?
And they could have added a small coat closet, too.
I remember Cluedokid (Matt) made a clue game where the bathroom was in the center of the board along with the cellar.
“Really Plum?!” - Mr. Green (Clue VCR, 1985)
IG:https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Post Reply