Clue Current Thoughts

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Jonathan Green
Senior Detective

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:08 pm

TheWhitePawn wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:56 pm
Hey all. So it's been a loooong time. Glad to see the boards are still active.

It looks like a lot of you guys like the Marmalade Clue/do game as much as I do. That's actually what brought me here. I can't for the life of me figure out the discrepancy between the Marmalade board layout and the official Hasbro board. As you guys might imagine, I've been avoiding the newest versions since they axed my fav cook/maid. But I actually really like the Marmalade version (I play on the Switch. Not sure if it's different elsewhere).

Feel free to point me to the thread if this has already been asked, but why is the board layout different in the Marmalade version than the Hasbro board? The Hasbro board with Orchid still uses the traditional layout of squares between all the rooms while Marmalade's rooms all touch with the movement happening in the middle. I actually don't mind this change at all since it makes for a more logical layout to the mansion, but I figured if anyone would know why they don't match, it would be here! Thanks :)
My guess is that Marmalade was going to use the original layout, but the scrapped it for something more simpler.
“Really Plum?!” - Mr. Green (Clue VCR, 1985)
IG:https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:14 am

Jonathan Green wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:00 pm
May I present...Buff Colonel Mustard...
Very nice :wink:

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:16 am

Jonathan Green wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:08 pm
TheWhitePawn wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:56 pm
Hey all. So it's been a loooong time. Glad to see the boards are still active.

It looks like a lot of you guys like the Marmalade Clue/do game as much as I do. That's actually what brought me here. I can't for the life of me figure out the discrepancy between the Marmalade board layout and the official Hasbro board. As you guys might imagine, I've been avoiding the newest versions since they axed my fav cook/maid. But I actually really like the Marmalade version (I play on the Switch. Not sure if it's different elsewhere).

Feel free to point me to the thread if this has already been asked, but why is the board layout different in the Marmalade version than the Hasbro board? The Hasbro board with Orchid still uses the traditional layout of squares between all the rooms while Marmalade's rooms all touch with the movement happening in the middle. I actually don't mind this change at all since it makes for a more logical layout to the mansion, but I figured if anyone would know why they don't match, it would be here! Thanks :)
My guess is that Marmalade was going to use the original layout, but the scrapped it for something more simpler.
Some of the boards prior to introduction of Dr. Orchid are close to the Marmalade layout. I like the Marmalade board, and I might use it for my Sims 4 build instead of the original board. Or maybe I'll do both.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:16 am

Yeah, but none of them quite match up. And it's just weird that Hasbro would license the new character art with the old board layout. Seems like something most brands would avoid when marketing a streamlined product.
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

coinilius
Junior Detective

Post by coinilius » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:38 pm

I think the marmalade board is a better layout/design than a lot of those ones that are similar to it that Hasbro released in the past - a board game release of the standard mansion from the Marmalade game would be interesting, IMO.

Jonathan Green
Senior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:05 pm

coinilius wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:38 pm
I think the marmalade board is a better layout/design than a lot of those ones that are similar to it that Hasbro released in the past - a board game release of the standard mansion from the Marmalade game would be interesting, IMO.
Perhaps as a To-Go game of some sort.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:13 pm

I mentioned a while ago that there was a poster in my local toy shop that had an alternate costume for Dr Orchid. I finally got around to taking a pic. https://sta.sh/01er1y7d1a58

Jonathan Green
Senior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:30 pm

Black wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:13 pm
I mentioned a while ago that there was a poster in my local toy shop that had an alternate costume for Dr Orchid. I finally got around to taking a pic. https://sta.sh/01er1y7d1a58
Huh...That's kinda neat, but the flower looks off with Orchid's hair.
No if Orchid's hair was like concept art, then it be fine.
I seen Orchid wearing an Orchid brooch than a Orchid hairpin.
Last edited by Jonathan Green on Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coinilius
Junior Detective

Post by coinilius » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:50 pm

Yeah an orchid in her hair seems too much, especially with the design that she has, which is kind of minimal with the black and pink.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:30 pm

I kind of agree, but she does look better without those gloves

MrGreenJeans
Slueth

Post by MrGreenJeans » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:26 am

Im more concerned about her dress. Does it fall right off if the string comes even remotely loose?!

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:30 pm

I like the orchid in her hair personally. The pink/black sheer contrast is unique for clue designs, think it's a cute touch.
Also like her new hairstyle. Fits better with the rest of the designs IMO, more loose and chic.
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:28 am

Sad news - The Series 4 Reverend Green, Nicholas Parsons, has passed away at the age of 96 https://news.sky.com/story/tv-and-radio ... sf-twitter

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:17 am

TheWhitePawn wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:16 am
Yeah, but none of them quite match up. And it's just weird that Hasbro would license the new character art with the old board layout. Seems like something most brands would avoid when marketing a streamlined product.
Of course it’s been discussed! :wink: Unfortunately the site has been plagued by spam, and the original marmalade thread was deleted. I’ll see if I can post some pics in the Marmalde thread where I did a comparison of the 2011 board to the Marmalade game. If you look in the Lounge in the original mansion there’s a Clue game board that matches the 2011 layout. It seems clear to me Marmalade began development when Hasbro was committed to the 2011 layout. Since that layout is the basic framework of the game mechanics it’s not something easily changed. And given that the characters all launch from the center, makes more sense than trying to set up a game with satellite starting spaces for each character — characters that can be set up in any configuration, which would also affect how they appear on group online play. All things considered the 2011 layout works best for the goals Marmalade had for the game. Hasbro later went back to the classic layout, but it’s too much to ask to redesign the electronic game completely to address a relatively minor cosmetic change. And who knows, maybe Hasbro will go back to the 2011 layout ...which by the way did have a bathroom and a bedroom, so the current marketing effort seems silly for anyone who was aware of the 2011 edition.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11638&start=160#p153398
Last edited by Murder by Death on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MajorHoy
Slueth

Post by MajorHoy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:43 am

Black wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:28 am
Sad news - The Series 4 Reverend Green, Nicholas Parsons, has passed away at the age of 96 https://news.sky.com/story/tv-and-radio ... sf-twitter
There's another thread where it may be appropriate to post that news:
TAOM forum obituaries = (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4267)

coinilius
Junior Detective

Post by coinilius » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:52 am

Does anyone remember the origin of this picture?

I downloaded it from here awhile ago, but don't remember which thread I found it in or who the creator of it was. I thought it was an interesting attempt at removing the 'spaces' between the rooms, and Murder by Death's recent posting of the 2011 board and the Marmalade board designs reminded me of it.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:58 am

That’s mine. I think it was in a thread about insides fitting the outside, I’ll have a look when I get a chance. There’s several threads over the years about making the board match a real mansion design with some good contributions from many members ... and of course so many threads have been lost due to migration to the new forum and spam control efforts ...

It came from this thread:

http://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewto ... 2&p=102229

I found it by doing a picture search using the keyword “layout”, but “floorplan” should turn up some interesting threads too ...
Last edited by Murder by Death on Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

coinilius
Junior Detective

Post by coinilius » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:05 am

Thanks Murder by Death, I thought it was from someone who was still active - did you ever experiment with it further?

EDIT: Sigh, I did an image search for 'Super Cluedo Challenge board' and what do you know? That image and thread shows up in the search!

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:53 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:43 am
Black wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:28 am
There's another thread where it may be appropriate to post that news:
TAOM forum obituaries = (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4267)
I know, I made it - However since it was Cluedo Related, I posted it here

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:00 pm

Oh *****, spam bots hit really hard, two pages worth.