New Clue game. Clue: Secrets and Spies

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:02 pm

Why do you rest your case cacums? Was there one to begin with?

chaostheory1489
Private Eye

Post by chaostheory1489 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:21 pm

Ok, even I'll admit that this does not sound very Clue like. But it does sound like it could be a fun game. And if you'll notice, the text messaging support will only last until 2011; maybe they've already planned to do away with these modern versions, in which case wouldn't it be cool if they kept this game around but made it take place in the 20s?

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:33 pm

I doubt it will happen.

BTW, CluedoKid, I love the avatar and banner.

Green
Detective

Post by Green » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:11 pm

...I think this sounds like a blast.

I'm not a big fan of the idea of having Clue all over the world, but this sounds so creative. Sure, it's not the English countryside we all love - but is it so terrible to have this too? "Criminal League for Ultimate Espionage" is witty enough for the original.

As far as texting... not the best feature, sure, but please not that the article mentions that this is OPTIONAL. I bet it's one of those things that isn't really necessary for play, they just suggest it for "added fun" and no one really uses it anyway.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:16 pm

My guess is it's something like disproving by text messages, not be cards.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:53 pm

Lord Caspen wrote:Niteshade,
Niteshade007 wrote:Well, to be fair, this isn't the first time the game has stayed "current," so to speak. Master Detective definitely took place in modern day, just look at the suspects' outfits.
Not to derail, but are you sure about the clothes? Which details make it so definite?
The most obvious example is Peacock's light blue blazer with pink undershirt. I can't tell if it has shoulder pads or if she's just a large woman.

Peach definitely has some shoulder pads though. The design on her dress also feels very 80s to me. It has almost a sequined, shimmery look.

I'd also argue that Scarlet's dress had an 80s look to it, but not nearly as much as Peacock's outfit. That, to me, really gives away the time period, moreso than any of the other suspects (save for Peach).

chaostheory1489
Private Eye

Post by chaostheory1489 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:17 am

After you mentioned that the first time, I went back and looked at each of the versions. It seems to me like the fashion was always current until 1996 (with the possible exception of 1963). Especially the 1972 version, though. That one just screams 70s; and not just the fashion, the whole design.

Harlequin
Master Detective

Post by Harlequin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:46 am

C.L.U.E? How are they going to translate that into Cluedo release? Nefarious Agent Black? If this is American, then shouldn't it be Agent Boddy!

Meh, at least texts are optional.
'You should never trust strangers, Sammy. This is gonna be fun!'
~ Former Bounty Hunter, now Space Pirate Mistress Gandrayda, Proving Grounds, Urtragia, shortly before termination as a result of Phazon corruption.

Green
Detective

Post by Green » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:50 pm

Harlequin wrote:C.L.U.E? How are they going to translate that into Cluedo release? Nefarious Agent Black? If this is American, then shouldn't it be Agent Boddy!
Criminal League for Ultimate Espionage of Dominating Overlordship?

Agent Black is more menacing than Agent Boddy. In this case, he's a villain, not a victim, so I think using Black works well.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:52 pm

I don't know about anyone else but I don't think I'm going to touch it with a ten foot pole. Just not my cup of tea.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:03 pm

Poirotfrmda818 wrote:BTW, CluedoKid, I love the avatar and banner.
I do too :)

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks guys.

Quadsworth
Slueth

Post by Quadsworth » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:33 pm

Well, at least it is a variant, not a new standard edition.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:35 pm

CluedoKid wrote:Why do you rest your case cacums? Was there one to begin with?
The game appears to be awful... but then again, if these forums were around when 86 Clue was around we probably would have had nasty comments on it...

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:57 pm

What I hate about Hasbro is that whenever they release a new game (i.e. Reinvention), they only market that one and pretend that there were no other Clue games before it.

Now 2002 can be considered a rare edition.

:cry:
Last edited by fendue on Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harlequin
Master Detective

Post by Harlequin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:02 pm

But not as bad, cacums, as those for this edition. This one offers something totally, and I mean totally totally new.
'You should never trust strangers, Sammy. This is gonna be fun!'
~ Former Bounty Hunter, now Space Pirate Mistress Gandrayda, Proving Grounds, Urtragia, shortly before termination as a result of Phazon corruption.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:20 pm

fendue wrote:What I hate about Hasbro is that whenever they release a new game (i.e. Reinvention), they only market that one and pretend that there was no other Clue games before it.

My sentiments exactly. Even though there are creating it for a new generation, they don't even offer an alternative for them to know what the game once was. Hasbro has no intention of releasing Clue Classic next the Reinvention. If some old person said "Colonel Mustard did it with the Wrench in the Library," kids from here on in will have no idea what that guy is talking about.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:48 pm

CluedoKid wrote:
fendue wrote:What I hate about Hasbro is that whenever they release a new game (i.e. Reinvention), they only market that one and pretend that there was no other Clue games before it.

My sentiments exactly. Even though there are creating it for a new generation, they don't even offer an alternative for them to know what the game once was. Hasbro has no intention of releasing Clue Classic next the Reinvention. If some old person said "Colonel Mustard did it with the Wrench in the Library," kids from here on in will have no idea what that guy is talking about.
I also feel that way. We'll be having to tell future generations that Mustard used to be a Colonel, etc. I hate Hasbro.

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:49 pm

CluedoKid wrote:

That's why there's so many on eBay.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:50 pm

fendue wrote:
CluedoKid wrote:

That's why there's so many on eBay.
Yeah, I actually went and bought another 2003 edition because I thought that they would be discontinued!