New Clue game. Clue: Secrets and Spies

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:29 pm

Well, to be fair, this isn't the first time the game has stayed "current," so to speak. Master Detective definitely took place in modern day, just look at the suspects' outfits. Same for 1992. 1992 got away with it a little better because the outfits were, for the most part, timeless looks, the notable exception being Peacock's dress and hair. The men's suits weren't anything flashy, just suits. Scarlet's dress seemed to capitalize on the "little black dress" look, but made it red instead. Maybe not something a girl would wear today, but not obviously out of date with shoulder pads like Peacock was rockin'.

The problem with making something modern is that it becomes laughable when it's not modern anymore. Although I guess they aren't really thinking about future sales on the game on eBay or something. They're just thinking about the here and now and who will buy it now, not necessarily collectors down the road.

Quadsworth
Slueth

Post by Quadsworth » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:16 pm

Updating the suspects' looks a little is not nearly as drastic as what they are doing now. For example, The reinvention suspect cards' fashions would not have been nearly as painful if they did not change the basic formula of the entire game.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:30 pm

My question, is this how we want our time period to be remembered? The era of die-hard blocky-ness, post-modernism and simplistic contemporary looks?

The 2000's will go down as a period where we decided to put a classic 60+ year old game through the meat grinder.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:34 pm

I read all of the posts here...

...I tried to be open-minded...

...but OH MY GOD!!! WTF IS THAT?!? No, no, no! THAT can't even consider itself a spin-off edition, it's just so ugly! CLUE is not a spy game, it's a murder-mystery! Unless someone has died and the suspects are running around the WORLD to escape the police (or spies, god this makes me sick!) this could never happen! At least the traditional format of the game could actually happen! This is like some contrived action-movie trying to be a thriller.

Until Hasbro shows me something to like about this edition, I don't want to get anywhere near it. I don't plan on buying it myself; I'll let someone buy it for me.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:48 am

This just reminds me.

What's with the latest craze for putting cellphones into classic games? Did they really need replace the funny bone in favour of a cellphone for Operation? Are kids today so hopeless that they need the image of some gizmo to keep their attention spans in check?

(EDIT: Nevermind. I just realized I added a cell phone as an item in my game.)

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:50 pm

I'm.... speechless. I am not going anywhere NEAR that pile of crap.... in fact, it doesn't even deserve to be called a PILE, it's just a piece.

Imagine.....

"I'm making a SpyAccusation."

"It was Spy White in the Jet with the Blackberry.

Ugh.

Quadsworth
Slueth

Post by Quadsworth » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:17 pm

Here is the press release, courtesy of Yahoo Finance::

EAST LONGMEADOW, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--mEt agnt mtard in Moscow w microcs! (Translation: Meet Agent Mustard in Moscow with the microchips!) This fall, Hasbro’s classic game of murderous mayhem will take an international twist as the iconic characters from CLUE embark on a globetrotting adventure to foil the plans of the Criminal League for Ultimate Espionage (C.L.U.E.) in CLUE: Secrets & Spies Edition. Intrigue begets intrigue as the new optional text messaging feature transmits game shaping intelligence to Agents Plum, Scarlet, Mustard and the others while an ultraviolet, secret decoder reveals hidden missions to the players.
“The use of text messaging to enhance a traditional board game experience is a true innovation in the board game category and we are thrilled to pioneer this experience with Hasbro’s CLUE brand,� said Jill Hambley, Global Marketing Vice President of the CLUE brand at Hasbro. “CLUE: Secrets & Spies Edition takes text messaging from mere novelty to world saving technology. By using their own cell phones, players will turn their own every-day phone into a top-secret spy device that is certain to add excitement and suspense to game play.�

In CLUE: Secrets & Spies Edition, each player takes on the role of a top international spy tasked with infiltrating the Criminal League for Ultimate Espionage to stop its evil scheme for world domination by intercepting the nefarious Agent Black. True identities of Agent Mustard, Agent Scarlet and crew are kept secret as players work independently to complete missions by using clues from the game and real-time tips sent via optional cell phone text messages. The agent who completes the most missions before being discovered by Agent Black will be known as the world’s number one spy and will win the game.

CLUE: Secrets & Spies Edition is suitable for two to five players, ages nine and up and will be available in Fall 2009 for the approximate retail price of $24.99. Standard text messaging rates apply for players who elect to use the game’s optional text messaging feature (cell phone not included). Hasbro is committed to maintaining text messaging support through December 31, 2011. For more information, visit www.hasbro.com.
[/url]

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:25 pm

After reading that, I'm wondering why they made it a Clue game. The only thing in common is the names....Agent Mustard. Ugh.

I mean, I feel like they slapped Clue on the box to make it sell better because people will recognize the logo.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:25 pm

Oh dear god...

It's an actual text message. A REAL text message? You're in class, then suddenly "Oh, my board game is texting me again. **** Scarlet, can't live without me."

Thank god it's optional. The game itself doesn't sound Clue-like but sounds like it could be fun. I think they should have just marketed it as something else, but perhaps needed to Clue name to sell it.

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:27 pm

Quadsworth, is that real or just an elaborate hoax?

If it's real, give me the link so I can throw up all over again, just like when I heard about the Reinvention.

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:28 pm

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:29 pm

I'm feeling sick.......

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:51 pm

I think I hate Jill Hambley. She's the Vice President of merchandising Clue and she's turning it into an absolute joke. I'm not even going to give it a try now. It's just a totally different game with the Clue logo on it. Come on...Agent White? Agent Peacock? What ever happened to Mrs. White the housekeeper?! Jill Hambley, you must be fired immediately!

Quadsworth
Slueth

Post by Quadsworth » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:00 pm

fendue wrote:Quadsworth, is that real or just an elaborate hoax?

If it's real, give me the link so I can throw up all over again, just like when I heard about the Reinvention.
I wish I was that "good"

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:01 pm

And some people said we should have given this game a chance...

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:03 pm

Well this is all fine and dandy, except......NOT EVERYONE PERSON IN THE WORLD OWNS A CELL PHONE!

Quadsworth
Slueth

Post by Quadsworth » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:07 pm

I wish that they would at least have fake cell phones. Texting costs money, and not everyone has a cell phone.

Here, I did my best to enhance some stills from the original video.

Card
It appears to say: Meet Scarlet in Berlin.
Board
Box Cover
Note the suspect reflections in the guy's sunglasses.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:33 pm

Wow, I was holding back my opinion but now I can just jump on the wagon and say that this is a stinker for a Clue game. It may be good if it was just a game but to have the Clue name attached is just sad. From a classic country manor to a text messaging elite agency. What is this, Get Smart?
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Post by Lord Caspen » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:55 pm

Niteshade,
Niteshade007 wrote:Well, to be fair, this isn't the first time the game has stayed "current," so to speak. Master Detective definitely took place in modern day, just look at the suspects' outfits.
Not to derail, but are you sure about the clothes? Which details make it so definite?
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:56 pm

cacums wrote:Jesus no!!!
I rest my case :x