New Clue game. Clue: Secrets and Spies

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Harlequin
Master Detective

Post by Harlequin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:47 am

Oh... I can't see the reflections. Are they the Reinvention bunch?
'You should never trust strangers, Sammy. This is gonna be fun!'
~ Former Bounty Hunter, now Space Pirate Mistress Gandrayda, Proving Grounds, Urtragia, shortly before termination as a result of Phazon corruption.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:47 pm

Exactly. I want the old stiff Mustard back not some stupid narcissistic footballer with a **** baseball bat! I honestly don't know what to say. I am really, really outraged by this. I don't think I'm even going to waste my money on it. Hasbro, you suck! :evil:

Harlequin
Master Detective

Post by Harlequin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:30 pm

He's a commentator who tells stories. And in the phone game he's an explorer.

Can anyone squint and see the number of players? I presume it is still 3-6, but does anybody else know otherwise?
~ Former Bounty Hunter, now Space Pirate Mistress Gandrayda, Proving Grounds, Urtragia, shortly before termination as a result of Phazon corruption.

chaostheory1489
Private Eye

Post by chaostheory1489 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:44 pm

You people... First of all, it's ignorant to judge a game based on one shot in a news story. The game could be drastically altered by the time it comes out, if it comes out at all. Secondly, it's not like this is the first Clue game that veered from its origins: The Great Museum Caper, The Card Game, and Mysteries do as well (and possibly others). Thirdly, for supposed fans of Clue, you sure don't seem to like it very much. It's like 2001 is the dividing line: anything before it is spectacular and anything after it is complete crap. There are exceptions, of course, but that's basically how most of the members think, at least according to what I've seen. Instead of being interested - if not completely excited - in the new direction and regard it as a quaint little holdover until Hasbro starts making the original game again (and you know they will; Discover the Secrets is too dated), you just write it off as being an abominations just because it's not exactly like one of the 10 or so editions of classic Clue that you already have. I'm not saying you have to like every piece of Clue merchandise ever made, but at least appreciate them. It's like, I'm not a fan of the 70s version (frankly I think it's ugly), but that's the version that a lot of people know and that's the version that frequently shows up on film and that's the version that first gave us the cover with the classic suspect poses, so I can dig it, even if it's not my favorite one. Basically what I'm saying is, at least wait until you actually play the thing before you bash it: look how many people warmed up to Discover the Secrets after playing, even though at the time of release it was pretty much regarded as a sign of the apocalypse.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Well, first of all, Passport to Murder, The Great Museum Caper etc, all still have Colonel Mustard and Professor Plum, not some lame video game designer who wouldn't even realistically be at a multi-millionare's Hollywood party house.

Ever since Hasbro got the rights to Clue, it's just gone down ever since. I admit I like the 2002 edition, it's sparks off a cartoony style while still in a serious format, plus, it's the first edition I ever got. FX is pretty good, but the DVD game and Mysteries are rather poor.

Hasbro are trying to pass off as though the original Clue never seemed to exist. They're just trying to keep up with modern times, by inventing new games that require the use of modern-day technology.

Give me the original any day over this stupid pile of filth which is set to come out!

By the way, I actually quite liked the look of the Reinvention (which I saw in an Argos catalogue), but when I actually got it, I was somewhat disturbed.

I think most people on here will probably agree with me. I am a big Clue fan, I give every game a chance, which I shall possibly attempt to do with this set new one. If I don't like it, then I'm going to say so!

But, hey, that's just my worthless opinion.
Last edited by Adam106 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:01 pm

chaostheory1489 wrote: look how many people warmed up to Discover the Secrets after playing, even though at the time of release it was pretty much regarded as a sign of the apocalypse.
I don't think that hardly anyone on here has warmed up to Discover the Secrets. Frankly, it's rubbish.

Harlequin
Master Detective

Post by Harlequin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:31 pm

I've warmed up to Reinvention- you just need to set up a different backstory for all the characters. I actually quite like the mobile phone ones.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:31 pm

But chaostheroy1489 is right. The resistance to new Clue games is high, partly becaue of the high expectations we all have for them and the failure to meet those expectations on Hasbro's part. Believe me, 4th edition D&D is a sham, too. It takes the roleplaying out of the game and replaces it with nothing but battle, battle, battle. He's right. Why so fast to bash a game we haven't played yet?

Harlequin
Master Detective

Post by Harlequin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:33 pm

I suppose that I was a bit quick to judge...

*starts thinking up new character bios that fit in with the Secrets and Spies guideline.*

Are these mobile phones included within the game as special 'equipment' for ingame use, or do you have to get out your own phone and somehow program it to respond to the game?

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:37 pm

I suppose your right. I'll just have to give it a try and see.

Harlequin
Master Detective

Post by Harlequin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:49 pm

I may get slandered for this, but without my previous misconceptions, dare I say that this looks a tiny bit... fun? *gasp* Yes, I know, but... It looks better than Mysteries at any rate, and I'm interested in the board and 'Meet Scarlet in Berlin'.

I wonder what we're doing in this? Solving a murder... God, yes I hope so...

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:12 pm

I'll give it a chance, but the original will always be trumps.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:24 pm

Of course the original is aces. We all got into Clue because we all fell in love with at least one version of the original game. I just think we shouldn't automatically despise something new . . . until we've played it.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:43 pm

I just don't think that they should go for something so modern. I don't mind the international idea or even the spy aspect, it's the text messaging. Later on, this game will be a joke because of it. Imagine an 80's version where suspects use beepers. It'll become dated and notbe taken seriously.

CluedoAuthor12
Master Detective

Post by CluedoAuthor12 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:42 pm

I'll put in my two cents... I actually think the new Clue game could be pretty cool :oops:

But it's DEFIANTLY NOT CLUE

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:03 pm

I still hate the idea of Clue suspects being spies. I don't hate the idea for new gameplay, I hate the idea of Clue becoming a ultra-modern Secret Spy game. Museum Caper and the Card game were fine because even though they changed gameplay, they still stayed true to Clue. Even Mysteries, though not the greatest, stayed somewhat true to Clue. I have a feeling that this game won't.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:28 pm

OH LET HIM STAY LOCKED UP FOR ANOTHER HALF-HOUR! WHO CARES?! WE'VE GOT TWO DEAD BODIES IN THE STUDY!!!
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:28 pm

Well for me, the art is the most important factor in Clue. If the artwork is bad in an edition, chances are there won't be much left I can appreciate about the game. I still haven't warmed up to the Reinvention. The artwork is a contemporary disaster, therefore, I feel in the right to despise it with every fiber in my body.

This CSI version's design makes me want to puke. I think the vomit would look more attractive actually.

Sorry, but I think I'll pass. Next.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:37 pm

I agree. The beauty of the game is what matters most to me, and this game does not look beautiful.

Quadsworth
Slueth

Post by Quadsworth » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:06 pm

For me, the change in the time period is the biggest flaw. The old time period of clue just seemed more appealing. The grandeaur, the sophistication, everything just fits. When I think of a murder mystery, I think of old english castles, not a hot celebrity party. I am fine with the rule variants, but I think that the time should be left well alone. They could use coded telegrams instead of cell phones for instance. It's fine to "meet Ms. Scarlet in Berlin," but you better not take the jet.