Clue w/ bathroom

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Jonathan Green
Senior Detective

Clue w/ bathroom

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:47 pm

The new Clue game with a bathroom is here.
https://www.amazon.com/CLUE-Features-W ... prod_image
“Really Plum?!” - Mr. Green (Clue VCR, 1985)
IG:https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Clue w/ bathroom

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:16 am

Interesting that they’re promoting it with a “fan voted Room”.

I still say this is the wrong kind of design for a first floor bathroom where there are no bedrooms. There should be a couch where the bathtub is, and the toilet should be in a closet. Then it would be a true powder room, something befitting the first floor of mansion where parties are held.

coinilius
Junior Detective

Post by coinilius » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:07 pm

I think the ‘fan voted room’ is the best way for them to promote it - otherwise it’s just the same game as the last addition except with the one change to the board design, a change which is purely cosmetic too.

Personally, it doesn’t have all that much of a ‘wow’ factor - I like the art work, but it honestly kind of ruins the flow of the mansion for me. A big mansion like this should have a grander entrance, which the hall provided, and bathroom itself should probably be more of a powder room like murder by death suggested.

Jonathan Green
Senior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:10 pm

coinilius wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:07 pm
I think the ‘fan voted room’ is the best way for them to promote it - otherwise it’s just the same game as the last addition except with the one change to the board design, a change which is purely cosmetic too.

Personally, it doesn’t have all that much of a ‘wow’ factor - I like the art work, but it honestly kind of ruins the flow of the mansion for me. A big mansion like this should have a grander entrance, which the hall provided, and bathroom itself should probably be more of a powder room like murder by death suggested.
If I chose where the bathroom should be, I’ll choose the Conservatory. It’s the right size for one.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:19 pm

When I was a kid, I always thought the Hall was redundant, because it was part of the hall system that connected the rooms. Now I understand the grand hall that these big English mansion estates have. But it still seems redundant.

But it seems like they have tried to add an entrance in the two spaces between the study and bathroom. This is kind of what I thought it should have been as a kid. That said, they should have probably moved the bathroom over a space, giving Scarlett a single space path, and giving the entrance a full three spaces wide so that it fits better with the scope of such an estate, maybe even some furniture along the walls. The Colonel Mustard starting path has such grandeur at three spaces wide. Without altering the board significantly, they could just reduce the width of the bathroom by one row of spaces on the Study side, and it wouldn’t really change how many rolls it takes anyone to get to the top entrance — since they removed the side entrance facing the Study. If they leave this bathroom, then that’s probably what they should do.

If they did that I wouldn’t really miss the hall so much as a separate room.

Also, I don’t really want to accuse anyone of “doing it in the bathroom”. That’s another reason “Powder Room” should have been used — it fits much better with the likes of Ball Room, Lounge, Billiard Room, Conservatory, etc.

MajorHoy
Slueth

Post by MajorHoy » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:36 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:19 pm
. . . Also, I don’t really want to accuse anyone of “doing it in the bathroom”. That’s another reason “Powder Room” should have been used — it fits much better with the likes of Ball Room, Lounge, Billiard Room, Conservatory, etc.
If they have a bathroom, then they should add a plunger as a possible weapon.

coinilius
Junior Detective

Post by coinilius » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:00 pm

Yeah, looking at the picture it feels like they have just kind of done a slapped-together job of adding the bathroom and trying to make space for an entrance - it doesn’t feel like the proper size an entrance would have for a mansion like this.

A little off-topic but since we’re talking about entrances to the mansion - I have always liked to think of the ‘unused starting space’ between the kitchen and the dining room as being the ‘servants entrance’ (when not thinking about it in terms of being an extra starting space for another character, like maybe for Mrs White in a game that has her and Dr Orchid in it).

Jonathan Green
Senior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:47 pm

coinilius wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:00 pm
Yeah, looking at the picture it feels like they have just kind of done a slapped-together job of adding the bathroom and trying to make space for an entrance - it doesn’t feel like the proper size an entrance would have for a mansion like this.

A little off-topic but since we’re talking about entrances to the mansion - I have always liked to think of the ‘unused starting space’ between the kitchen and the dining room as being the ‘servants entrance’ (when not thinking about it in terms of being an extra starting space for another character, like maybe for Mrs White in a game that has her and Dr Orchid in it).
My thoughts exactly. I think the Hall should be called the Great Hall.

coinilius
Junior Detective

Post by coinilius » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:24 pm

I’ve actually always thought the hall and the ball room should swap places (and not just locations, like swap their room layout and size with each other) - the ballroom has all those exits coming off it that would be much more appropriate for a grand entrance hall, allowing access to more areas of the mansion.

Agreed as well that giving the hall a name like ‘Great Hall’ or ‘Entrance Hall’ or something would help sell the idea to people that it is more than just a hallway - it seems like a lot of people get caught up on the idea of it being a hall, not thinking about how big mansions like that will have a grand entrance.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:42 pm

coinilius wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:00 pm
I have always liked to think of the ‘unused starting space’ between the kitchen and the dining room as being the ‘servants entrance’ (when not thinking about it in terms of being an extra starting space for another character, like maybe for Mrs White in a game that has her and Dr Orchid in it).
I invented a family rule that during any 2 player Clue game you get to use those spaces as any character to start.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:29 pm

Well, that’s ... ugly. Definitely not in any rush to add this to the shelves. Are we to assume this is the best Hasbro could think of to celebrate 70 years of Clue? :| Even the “Discover the Secrets” reinvented game was a better 60th anniversary marker than this.

The bathroom itself is fine (I’d enjoy a luxurious dump in there), it’s the placement that’s been very badly thought out. I’ll be very surprised if this sticks around for more than one edition.

And if they went to the trouble of shifting the front door, they really should have removed the false door of the Bathroom from the final artwork.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

MajorHoy
Slueth

Post by MajorHoy » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:54 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:29 pm
Well, that’s ... ugly. Definitely not in any rush to add this to the shelves. Are we to assume this is the best Hasbro could think of to celebrate 70 years of Clue? :| Even the “Discover the Secrets” reinvented game was a better 60th anniversary marker than this.

The bathroom itself is fine (I’d enjoy a luxurious dump in there), it’s the placement that’s been very badly thought out. I’ll be very surprised if this sticks around for more than one edition.

And if they went to the trouble of shifting the front door, they really should have removed the false door of the Bathroom from the final artwork.
Are they also adding this to Cluedo? And should they call it the "Water Closet" for the U.K.?

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:26 pm

This is the same gimmick as changing the Monopoly playing pieces by having people vote for a new one.

Replacing White with Orchid could arguably also be seen this way, and in some ways it is, but I felt there was more justification behind (allegedly). I’d prefer to have White and Orchid in the game. The players can choose which suspects to use like in the Marmalade app.

The rooms have been changed before in previous editions, reverted back to the original, and now just one has been swapped out. It’s whatever. Marketing ploy to keep people buying it. Guess that’s not a bad thing to keep the franchise alive.

coinilius
Junior Detective

Post by coinilius » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:33 pm

PrinceAlarming wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:26 pm
This is the same gimmick as changing the Monopoly playing pieces by having people vote for a new one.

Replacing White with Orchid could arguably also be seen this way, and in some ways it is, but I felt there was more justification behind (allegedly). I’d prefer to have White and Orchid in the game. The players can choose which suspects to use like in the Marmalade app.

The rooms have been changed before in previous editions, reverted back to the original, and now just one has been swapped out. It’s whatever. Marketing ploy to keep people buying it. Guess that’s not a bad thing to keep the franchise alive.
Oh indeed, I said in the previous thread about this change that I am not against things like this, Hasbro will always make changes here and there for the marketing and usually we'll just see it revert back later on. Or at the very least, Clue/Cluedo is so well known 'legacy' and 'classic' versions will always exits alongside whatever new gimmick they have thrown in.

But this one really feels like they went 'that'll do' and just throw the bathroom in and moved the entrance around without really thinking it through (the bathrooms art is indeed nice though) - like, yeah, why is there a door in the bathroom that leads outside? And there's only the one entrance into the bathroom, compared to the Hall's two?

Jonathan Green
Senior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:06 am

coinilius wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:33 pm
PrinceAlarming wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:26 pm

Oh indeed, I said in the previous thread about this change that I am not against things like this, Hasbro will always make changes here and there for the marketing and usually we'll just see it revert back later on. Or at the very least, Clue/Cluedo is so well known 'legacy' and 'classic' versions will always exits alongside whatever new gimmick they have thrown in.

But this one really feels like they went 'that'll do' and just throw the bathroom in and moved the entrance around without really thinking it through (the bathrooms art is indeed nice though) - like, yeah, why is there a door in the bathroom that leads outside? And there's only the one entrance into the bathroom, compared to the Hall's two?
That’s a window...

coinilius
Junior Detective

Post by coinilius » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:52 am

Thanks Jonathon, that's a bit easier to make out in that picture :)

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:51 am

I’ve had a bathroom with more than one door. One into the hallway and one into the utility room with the washer and dryer. The side entrance of the house lead into the utility room, so if you fell into a giant mud puddle, you could come home through the side door and only track mud through two rooms with linoleum. But the utility room door was only used a couple times when we moved in. The doorknob was taken off, and it was sandwiched between a mini fridge in the utility room and a free standing metal rack in the bathroom where we kept the towels.

MrBoddy2003
Investigator

Post by MrBoddy2003 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:03 am

What If He Was Killed Elsewhere And Dragged Into The Toilet To Create Confusion?
Frankly, Scarlett, I Think You're A Tramp!!!!

MajorHoy
Slueth

Post by MajorHoy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:30 pm

MrBoddy2003 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:03 am
What If He Was Killed Elsewhere And Dragged Into The Toilet To Create Confusion?
Do you mean dragged into the room with the toilet or are you more specifically referring to him being dragged into the bathroom and his head (or some other part of his body) placed inside the toilet bowl? :shock:

MrBoddy2003
Investigator

Post by MrBoddy2003 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:08 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:30 pm
MrBoddy2003 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:03 am
Do you mean dragged into the room with the toilet or are you more specifically referring to him being dragged into the bathroom and his head (or some other part of his body) placed inside the toilet bowl? :shock:
Dragged To The Room, As Per The Movie
Frankly, Scarlett, I Think You're A Tramp!!!!