What was your first Clue game?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Jonathan Green
Detective

What was your first Clue game?

Post by Jonathan Green » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:22 pm

What was your first Clue game, or what got you into Clue?
Mine was Discover the Secrets and Clue 2012
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

coinilius
Private Eye

Re: What was your first Clue game?

Post by coinilius » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:51 am

I got back into Clue/do because of Dr Orchid - hadn't heard anything about the Mrs White controversy, despite being a Transformers and other toys fan and being generally up on Hasbro news, until I saw a copy when at the shops with 'meet the new suspect' or whatever it said exactly proudly displayed on the cover. Despite it being a fairly unoriginal attention grabbing move (replacing an original character with a new one), it worked and I took notice again.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:30 am

Mine was the 1996 game, which also got me into Clue, but it really sank in when I saw the movie shortly after.

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:30 pm

My first copy of Clue was the 1986 edition that I bought at a garage sale. I was so excited to buy it with my own money, but... it was missing cards :cry:
I was devastated having the game but not being able to play it. I tried making my own cards, but I was a little kid and after all the effort I put into making them I realized that you could see the pictures I drew right through the paper so that clearly didn't work.

My first complete copy was the 1992 edition. By this point I also had the movie, the SNES video game, and started collecting the Scholastic book series. My collection continued to grow from there. After my grandma passed away I found a copy of the 1972 edition in her house that I kept.

I now have the 1972, 1992, 1996, 2002, 2005 Vintage Wood Box, 2008 Discover the Secrets, 2011, 2013 (second crime scene), 2014 Retro reprint of 1986, 2017 with revealing mirror, and 2017 Rustic editions. (possibly even more in storage)

A few PC games: Clue Murder at Boddy Mansion, Fatal Illusion, and the one with artwork of the 2002 edition.

I also have Clue Jr Case of the Missing Pet, The Great Museum Caper, Scooby Doo, Simpsons, Clue SFX, Clue Mysteries, Clue DVD, Grab and Go, The Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, Clue Express, Clue Suspect card game, Clue Suspects (solo puzzle game), Star Wars, Master Detective, Bob's Burgers, Lost in Vegas, Guess Who Mashup, the newest Clue card game, and North Pole Edition.

thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg (203.67 KiB) Viewed 1394 times

Even after rummaging in my storage shed to take inventory of my collection, I know of at least two that must still be hiding in boxes. The newer card game and North Pole Edition are on their way from Amazon.
Last edited by PrinceAlarming on Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:06 pm

You could start up a topic with them...

I began in 1992 when I got Cluedo for my 9th birthday. The game scared me a bit but it was a big hit in school when I brought it to class (we'd have a board game afternoon a couple of times per year). My teacher then made a fool of herself when we were playing it, with six players, all others in the 9-10 age category, and she was the only one not getting the rule that you show the cards in SECRET to the person who asks for it. "I have the rope here..."

Anyway I digress... Dad once bought me the gorgeous 60s/70s game with the purple box cover and now I have every Dutch game except the square box that was released before the character names were translated.

My collection is here:
http://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewto ... f=1&t=4484

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:16 am

First game played: Clue 1986

First owned: Clue 1996 (long-box)

Shortly after that, I acquired Master Detective... then my addictive, compulsive personality took over and now I have more than I can leave out to display.

Clue 1972 was the one I wanted for the longest time, during my childhood. I couldn't find it anywhere. Eventually, eBay saved the day. Now I trip over 2-3 at every antique store. (and sometimes I buy them and take them home with me)

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:27 am

My first game played was Clue 1972 at Grandma's house back in September 2009 about. Although before then we played Clue Jr. The Case of the Missing Cake with my cousins the Christmas before.

The first game owned was Clue 2002 and that's why those two editions have been close to my heart every since.

Years later I eventually became a "saler", that is someone who goes to Estate/Rummage Sales often. Seriously though if you're looking to expand your collection, check out estatesales.net during the summer time. That's where 90% of my collection came from and all for less than $3 each about.

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:48 am

Sir Shamrock wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:27 am
My first game played was Clue 1972 at Grandma's house back in September 2009 about. Although before then we played Clue Jr. The Case of the Missing Cake with my cousins the Christmas before.

The first game owned was Clue 2002 and that's why those two editions have been close to my heart every since.

Years later I eventually became a "saler", that is someone who goes to Estate/Rummage Sales often. Seriously though if you're looking to expand your collection, check out estatesales.net during the summer time. That's where 90% of my collection came from and all for less than $3 each about.
Wow that’s really good advice. I bought a vintage men’s nightgown from an estate sale in France for my John Darling cosplay. I’ll have to check that out for Clue games

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Post by MajorHoy » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:51 pm

Hi. Newbie here.

I'm not sure when I first played the game, but the first Clue set I owned was the one from back in the early 1970s.

Unfortunately, that recently got destroyed in my storage unit (a pipe burst above the box it was stored in), so I finally went out and bought myself a new set today: the Clue Retro / 1986 Edition. (I really had no interest in the cheaper 21st Century version where they replaced Mrs. White with Dr. Orchid. That wasn't the version of the game I grew up playing!)

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:39 am

MajorHoy wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:51 pm
Hi. Newbie here.

I'm not sure when I first played the game, but the first Clue set I owned was the one from back in the early 1970s.

Unfortunately, that recently got destroyed in my storage unit (a pipe burst above the box it was stored in), so I finally went out and bought myself a new set today: the Clue Retro / 1986 Edition. (I really had no interest in the cheaper 21st Century version where they replaced Mrs. White with Dr. Orchid. That wasn't the version of the game I grew up playing!)
I understand that sentiment. If I didn't already have multiple copies of the game then I'd want my main copy to have Mrs White in it. I desperately wanted a newer copy with Dr Orchid to add to my collection, but versions containing Mrs White would definitely take priority if I didn't have any.

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Post by MajorHoy » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:29 am

PrinceAlarming wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:39 am
I understand that sentiment. If I didn't already have multiple copies of the game then I'd want my main copy to have Mrs White in it. I desperately wanted a newer copy with Dr Orchid to add to my collection, but versions containing Mrs White would definitely take priority if I didn't have any.
That nostalgia factor was also why I wasn't looking to buy a copy of the "Master Detective" version, though maybe some day I might look into getting one of those, too.

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:41 pm

Master Detective is great - you should pick one up if you are interested, I don't think you'll be disappointed :D I like variations on the Cluedo set-up - not re-themes, but ones where the game is actually different a bit, if that makes sense. Master Detective, Super Cluedo Challenge, Super Sleuth, the various card games... I really want to get the version with the Board Walk murder scene as well one of these days.

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:43 pm

We actually played Master Detective on Thanksgiving a few weeks ago. It's a lot longer than a standard game of Clue (not that I'm complaining or that it's a bad thing). There was a stretch of turns when my dad, my brother, and I were all convinced that it was Madame Rose. Then my mom showed me the Madame Rose card, and I literally reacted with "NO WAY!!!" which clued in my dad to what card she was showing me since he had just made an incorrect final accusation claiming it was Madame Rose. (It turned out to be Sergeant Gray, who my dad was playing as).

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:59 am

1996 edition. I’d spotted the game on a shelf at an after school care facility & was really into the whole premise & artwork. It was missing pieces, so I couldn’t play it. Fast-forward a few weeks & I brought home a report card with straight A’s. The reward was a trip to Toys-r-Us to pick any one thing I wanted. 8)

This was the same year the 50th Anniversary edition came out. Since I was so hooked, I got that for Christmas. Soon I stumbled upon the Scholastic books, eventually realized the people on the covers were from older versions of the game, and here I am now. :lol:
"But look what happened to the cook!"

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:56 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:59 am
Soon I stumbled upon the Scholastic books, eventually realized the people on the covers were from older versions of the game, and here I am now. :lol:
That's so cool! I was also one of the people who owned the books before the 1992 edition (Screaming Skeleton specifically comes to mind as my favorite). When I first saw the 1992 edition it was because Mrs. White on the side panel caught my eye. There was thick black tape around the edges of the box and Mrs. White was the only visible character. I instantly recognized her from her photograph, shot her, and ran back to the cellar.

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:47 am

I do remember the design of the characters changing on the book covers. I started with the 5th book (Midnight Phone Calls or something) which had the newer character designs, but I eventually I bought the entire series.