Room Repository

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Jonathan Green
Senior Detective
Posts: 1243
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Room Repository

Post by Jonathan Green » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:30 pm

A place to think of some new rooms of the Clue mansion
“Really Plum?!” - Mr. Green (Clue VCR, 1985)
IG:https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Room Repository

Post by coinilius » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:24 am

I would love to see a version of the Patent board produced, with the extra rooms that it contains - the Gun Room and the Cellar as rooms would be cool.

Jonathan Green
Senior Detective
Posts: 1243
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Room Repository

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:51 pm

I actually don’t mind a theatre in Tudor Mansion. I totally see Boddy having one in his home.

Tea room is a good one.
“Really Plum?!” - Mr. Green (Clue VCR, 1985)
IG:https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

User avatar
PrinceAlarming
Slueth
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:05 am
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: Room Repository

Post by PrinceAlarming » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:18 am

A 3D board with 2 or 3 stories of rooms; like a doll house. No spaces between rooms, just roll a die and move from one room to another as far as your roll allows. That opens up so many possibilities.

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Room Repository

Post by coinilius » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:02 am

PrinceAlarming wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:18 am
A 3D board with 2 or 3 stories of rooms; like a doll house. No spaces between rooms, just roll a die and move from one room to another as far as your roll allows. That opens up so many possibilities.
There's photos online of someones custom Clue dollhouse - http://emmajcreations.blogspot.com/p/cluedo-hall.html - I have to admit, I would love to use something like that to play a version of the game, moving the figures around the house. It just seems like it would be a lot of fun!

In my own musings on the Mystery Beyond the Mansion and the Mystery at Sea card games, I have work-shopped using room cards as the board - you place down 9 cards in a 3 x 3 grid, then rather than using dice to move, you can move around the 'board' horizontally or vertically (not diagonally) up to 3 spaces per turn.

I also think using Clue Suspects (the single player logic challenge game, with the plastic house) as a 3D board would be an interesting way of playing. You would need custom pieces though, to represent the weapons as well as the suspects. It would only have 6 rooms, though, unless you had 2 copies of the game and played a 12 room double mansion!

On the subject of double mansions - I have always liked the idea of a second storey to the mansion (bedrooms and bathrooms!), but in practical terms it would probably just be too many rooms and too much moving around.

User avatar
Sir Shamrock
Private Eye
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:36 pm
Location: In the ballroom, with the Candlestick

Re: Room Repository

Post by Sir Shamrock » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:46 am

coinilius wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:02 am
On the subject of double mansions - I have always liked the idea of a second storey to the mansion (bedrooms and bathrooms!), but in practical terms it would probably just be too many rooms and too much moving around.
I've always toyed with the idea of a spin-off Clue game where it all takes place outside. The rooms would be the places used in
Clue FX and the Courtyard, the suspects would be Meadow-Brooke, Rusty, Lavender, Azure, Peach, and Brunette, and the weapons would be Poison, Horseshoe, etc.. It could be played separately as a game, or it could link with a regular Clue board by the Hall for a new story.

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Room Repository

Post by coinilius » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:10 am

That would be a cool idea, Sir Shamrock - I've always liked the idea of an 'outside' to the mansion as well, it's partially why I like the Super Cluedo Challenge board design so much, with it's run around the outside of the rooms. Using Clue FX locations as a separate game that can be linked to the original would be a great idea to play around with.

User avatar
PrinceAlarming
Slueth
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:05 am
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: Room Repository

Post by PrinceAlarming » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:13 pm

One game called House On The Hill uses tiles as the board. As the characters explore the mansion, they lay down a new room tile each time they enter a new room. There's I believe 4 stories in the game, which staircases going to the basement and upper two floors. This same concept could be used for Clue, allowing for a larger house, movement without ending in a hallway, and different layouts of the house. Each game could be customized to use however many rooms, weapons, and suspects you want to make for a longer or shorter game. I suppose this could already be done for weapons and suspects, but being able to change up the board could allow for expansions.

Jonathan Green
Senior Detective
Posts: 1243
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Room Repository

Post by Jonathan Green » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:52 pm

PrinceAlarming wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:13 pm
One game called House On The Hill uses tiles as the board. As the characters explore the mansion, they lay down a new room tile each time they enter a new room. There's I believe 4 stories in the game, which staircases going to the basement and upper two floors. This same concept could be used for Clue, allowing for a larger house, movement without ending in a hallway, and different layouts of the house. Each game could be customized to use however many rooms, weapons, and suspects you want to make for a longer or shorter game. I suppose this could already be done for weapons and suspects, but being able to change up the board could allow for expansions.
Betrayal on the House of the Hill? Yea, my cousin owns that, it’s pretty fun! Maybe I might make a Clue game like that one day.
“Really Plum?!” - Mr. Green (Clue VCR, 1985)
IG:https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Room Repository

Post by coinilius » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:13 pm

PrinceAlarming wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:13 pm
One game called House On The Hill uses tiles as the board. As the characters explore the mansion, they lay down a new room tile each time they enter a new room. There's I believe 4 stories in the game, which staircases going to the basement and upper two floors. This same concept could be used for Clue, allowing for a larger house, movement without ending in a hallway, and different layouts of the house. Each game could be customized to use however many rooms, weapons, and suspects you want to make for a longer or shorter game. I suppose this could already be done for weapons and suspects, but being able to change up the board could allow for expansions.
Of course, Clue already has it's own card laying variation in Super Sleuth, although it has it's own quirks as well. I like the card laying concept to create a board, as I also like simple designs and keeping everything contained, you could have a whole game of Clue in a pretty small package by using cards, and like you said, can also be modular so you could add expansion rooms etc. I'll have to check out that Betrayal at House on the Hill, though it seems like it is more about tile laying as a core game concept.

User avatar
MajorHoy
Slueth
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:44 pm
Location: Connecticut (USA)

Re: Room Repository

Post by MajorHoy » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:47 pm

Have they ever had any versions of Clue(do) where they include a bathroom / water closet (or an outhouse)?
Seriously, it would be the logical spot to keep medications that could be used for poison; razor blades to inflict death; etc.

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17429
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Re: Room Repository

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:57 pm

The Black Manor concept I'm creating has 60 suspected rooms; though I'm keeping the full list a secret. ;)
Image

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Room Repository

Post by coinilius » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:25 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:47 pm
Have they ever had any versions of Clue(do) where they include a bathroom / water closet (or an outhouse)?
Seriously, it would be the logical spot to keep medications that could be used for poison; razor blades to inflict death; etc.
Well they’re going to soon, I guess, as Bathroom won that recent room poll thing Hasbro did. I am pretty sure some international versions have used bathrooms as well, but would have to check on that.

User avatar
MajorHoy
Slueth
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:44 pm
Location: Connecticut (USA)

Re: Room Repository

Post by MajorHoy » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:24 am

coinilius wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:25 pm
MajorHoy wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:47 pm
Have they ever had any versions of Clue(do) where they include a bathroom / water closet (or an outhouse)?
Seriously, it would be the logical spot to keep medications that could be used for poison; razor blades to inflict death; etc.
Well they’re going to soon, I guess, as Bathroom won that recent room poll thing Hasbro did. I am pretty sure some international versions have used bathrooms as well, but would have to check on that.
It would makes sense to include one, at least in versions not directly targeted to silly little kiddies who might giggle at the thought of it.
After all, a bathroom is a good place to stage what is meant to look like a suicide.

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Room Repository

Post by coinilius » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:48 pm

Good point, I can see younger kids having a giggle about the bathroom, but it is a good additional room to have. A bedroom would be a good one as well.

User avatar
PrinceAlarming
Slueth
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:05 am
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: Room Repository

Post by PrinceAlarming » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:17 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:47 pm
Have they ever had any versions of Clue(do) where they include a bathroom / water closet (or an outhouse)?
Seriously, it would be the logical spot to keep medications that could be used for poison; razor blades to inflict death; etc.
Bob's Burgers has the Bathroom

User avatar
MajorHoy
Slueth
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:44 pm
Location: Connecticut (USA)

Re: Room Repository

Post by MajorHoy » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:18 pm

coinilius wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:48 pm
Good point, I can see younger kids having a giggle about the bathroom, but it is a good additional room to have. A bedroom would be a good one as well.
A bedroom may fit in better in a multi-level house, though some can easily be on the first floor (especially if some of the hired help is live-in).

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Room Repository

Post by coinilius » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:06 pm

Servants quarters for Mrs White?

User avatar
MajorHoy
Slueth
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:44 pm
Location: Connecticut (USA)

Re: Room Repository

Post by MajorHoy » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:35 pm

coinilius wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:06 pm
Servants quarters for Mrs White?
Why not?

coinilius
Junior Detective
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Room Repository

Post by coinilius » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:50 pm

An extremely expanded mansion idea, you could have guest bedrooms and servants quarters for all the characters.

Post Reply