First Mrs. White, then the Hall, is the Lead pipe next?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

First Mrs. White, then the Hall, is the Lead pipe next?

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:08 pm

Since they seem intent on removing the "boring, out-of-date" elements of Clue, I wonder, will they be replacing the lead pipe (or maybe the wrench next? The lead pipe is perhaps my favourite weapon, so I'd be quite cheesed if they touch it. :evil:

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: First Mrs. White, then the Hall, is the Lead pipe next?

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:19 am

We’ve had a few discussion over the years about the role of the lead pipe, it’s viability, and it’s replacement, most notably during the DTS years. And to summarize, lead piping is hard to come by these days, most people born after 1980 don’t know what one is, there are more effective bludgeoning instruments lying around a modern household, and how many bludgeoning instruments does one really need?

But unlike adding racial diversity, the setting and weapons don’t really need updating so long as Clue remains a period experience set in an old Victorian mansion. That said, I’m not really opposed to it. I really liked the dumbbell in DTS, and was OK with the baseball bat. I like the sporting equipment angle. Other good weapons would have been a golf club, polo mallet, cricket bat, bowling ball, etc.

Personally I never liked the lead pipe — it was the second least interesting weapon to me after the plastic rope. But in terms of trademark, it’s an important part of Hasbro’s identity for the game. But then so was Mrs. White. On the other hand, unlike updating a character for racial diversity, or changing a location (which is nothing new in various editions), to focus on a murder weapon may not be the best marketing campaign to embark upon in today’s climate, especially for what is perceived a family game. Of course it makes sense, but it’s also drawing focus to the murder, and away from the mystery.

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:58 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:19 am
We’ve had a few discussion over the years about the role of the lead pipe, it’s viability, and it’s replacement, most notably during the DTS years. And to summarize, lead piping is hard to come by these days, most people born after 1980 don’t know what one is, there are more effective bludgeoning instruments lying around a modern household, and how many bludgeoning instruments does one really need?
I somewhat agree. In Clue game that set in present day, a lead pie would not make sense. A steel pipe will probably make more sense.

I also don't mind if Hasbro changed the design for the revolver. Something like the revolver from 50th/PTM. I personally like to think Boddy owns a Smith & Wesson Pre-Model 17 K22 Masterpiece .22 LR Revolver

It looks like this:

Source: https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101270578
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:01 pm

I'm all for freshness and new takes, but axing the Hall during an Anniversary Edition? Every Anniversary item I own - movie, book, game, video game is released as close to the original as possible. You can add extra things and "special features" to an Anniversary edition (like they did with the Poison) but if you take away and change something, it is no longer an "Anniversary Edition" regardless to when you release it. :?

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:22 pm

cacums wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:01 pm
I'm all for freshness and new takes, but axing the Hall during an Anniversary Edition? Every Anniversary item I own - movie, book, game, video game is released as close to the original as possible. You can add extra things and "special features" to an Anniversary edition (like they did with the Poison) but if you take away and change something, it is no longer an "Anniversary Edition" regardless to when you release it. :?
Agreed
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:33 pm

I've lost all hope for Mrs. White appearing in the Anniversary edition where she belongs, but HEY, IF THE HIGHER UP'S CAN HEAR ME - Put White by the Kitchen and Dining Room in the empty start space, keep your precious Orchid, and toss in the poison.

Not everything needs to be modernized and reinvented. It's a turn of the century murder mystery. Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie, Pre-World War 2. That's the ambiance; that's the inspiration. How long do we have to wait before the early 1900s are fetishized again? :roll:

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:37 pm

cacums wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:33 pm
I've lost all hope for Mrs. White appearing in the Anniversary edition where she belongs, but HEY, IF THE HIGHER UP'S CAN HEAR ME - Put White by the Kitchen and Dining Room in the empty start space, keep your precious Orchid, and toss in the poison.

Not everything needs to be modernized and reinvented. It's a turn of the century murder mystery. Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie, Pre-World War 2. That's the ambiance; that's the inspiration. How long do we have to wait before the early 1900s are fetishized again? :roll:
I was thinking of that space too. It be fitting, since she's a cook and maid.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:08 am

The answer the original question: I hope so. The poison should have been given full time status decades ago (like, from the beginning. What was Pratt/Waddington’s logic in dropping it after the patent was filed?).

Hasbro can (and will) tinker with their classics as often as they see fit/want to. Now that board games are cool again, they’re able to outgrow their awkward phase of producing games as cheaply & hideously as possible (looking at you, double sided boardwalk Clue) so naturally it’s time for some careful redesigns & marketing gimmicks that fit the molds proven to actually work (hence the return to the classic board & gameplay after two duds of modernizing every last detail). Monopoly has seen a steady rotation of tokens over the years, Life has been redesigned (and dumbed down) almost every decade.

As long as the spirit of the game stays intact, I’m actually more open minded now to where they might take Clue in the coming years. Dr. Orchid has been blended very nicely into the rogues gallery (thanks, in part, to her likely being a required inclusion in all of the licensing arrangements made with other publishers for their books/comics/video game, etc). Retiring one of the 3 bludgeoning weapons wouldn’t hurt. The candlestick is too iconic, and between the remaining two, only the wrench is truly timeless. Heck, they even tried to stick a nonsensical magic mirror into the game (mixed results, methinks, as I still haven’t seen that edition in any physical shops).

Regarding the hall: I’ll be very surprised if the new room (if, indeed, simply a remodeled hall doesn’t win the vote) becomes a permanent fixture rather than a one-off. They did a similar partnership with TripAdvisor for an edition of Life that included a set of vacation cards with ratings & such. The only problem: the TripAdvisor logo was EVERYWHERE in that game. I doubt Hasbro will be inclined to slap the Houzz logo on all future Clue/do games, but I expect we will have to endure it for at least one edition so they can fulfill some contract.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:42 am

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:08 am
The poison should have been given full time status decades ago

-

Retiring one of the 3 bludgeoning weapons wouldn’t hurt. The candlestick is too iconic, and between the remaining two, only the wrench is truly timeless.
The Wrench is one of my favorite weapons and I was sad to see it and the Lead Pipe go during the 2008 Reinvention, but if I had to lose one of the two, I'd drop the Pipe.

The Poison is an excellent replacement for the Lead Pipe, which to be fair, doesn't even look good anymore. The card always has it trying too hard to be the preexisting token instead of trying to resemble an actual Lead Pipe. It's supposed to be fatty and imperfect looking. Lead is flexible, it's not like a Fireplace Poker which bends specifically upon bludgeoning. It's like whipping someone to death with something slightly stiffer than a metal hose.

Poison replacing Lead Pipe = :o :)
Wrench and Lead Pipe both exiting = :evil: